Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 02:28:31 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mantic Games is closing....

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mantic Games is closing....  (Read 213 times)
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2011, 03:36:15 pm »

...it's warehouse  Tongue

As of midnight tonight our warehouse is closing down. We will be moving back in towards Nottingham, setting up our very own dedicated Mantic warehouse. Here we will be able to offer you guys a much better service; less miss-packs and faster order turnaround.
Naturally this will take a little time to get everything sorted, there is a lot of work to do to get our new warehouse operational. We will be closed all of next week, with the planned re-opening the week commencing the 9th of May. We are working over the bank holidays to make sure we are back up and running as soon as possible.
Our webstore will still be fully functioning, so you can continue to place your orders with us, just please be aware that it will take us a little bit longer to dispatch your order than usual.
Thank you all for your understanding and patience.
Mantic

http://www.manticblog.com/?p=3429
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:48:43 pm »

Hopefully this will give Mantic a lot more control over the quality of work being done there.

It's been mentioned that a lot of their warehouse staff weren't hobbyists. Maybe with being closer to Nottingham they can attract a few to come work for them. I'd have to think having people there who knew the product would result in the creation of fewer mispacks.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 07:01:18 pm »

Anything that could cut down on mispacks would a huge, huge boon to them.

I had mentioned to someone at Mantic that it seemed weird to hear about their customer service being swamped given the number of orders they were touting.  When I had worked at Sears Telecatalog way back in the late 80's/early 90's timeframe, we thought that a bad rate for orders requiring follow-ups was 5%.  (This means that 5% of orders have to be touched again, either due to mispacks, customer changing their mind, etc.)  It was figured that getting it around 3% was pretty good, and less than 2% would be almost impossible.

However, as some of us have experienced, the mispack/mis-ship rate was quite a bit higher.  Hopefully this will let them get things sorted out.  If their error rates were anything like what Darsc and I had experienced, they were losing tons of profit just trying to get the orders right.  And profit wasted on re-shipping something is profit not being put into new models and kits.  Personally, I find that concept distressing.

This move should put them on firmer ground and give them a lot more control over the packing and shipping process.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 07:05:20 pm »

That's nuts. In the book warehouse I worked in a while ago, the rate was below 0.5%.

Out of the thousands I personally packed I only ever mispackaged a single box to the point where it had to be returned... the warehouse had a policy of more than 3 mistakes per month and you're fired (first month excluded).

Higher than 5% errors sounds crazy, they must have really unmotivated staff that they're being too nice to instead of firing them. Or maybe the warehouse staff all have guns so mantic don't dare to fire any of them incase they return the favour. this is Nottingham we're talking about here. Kneecap central.

Another problem could be that they might not a staff tracking system in place so that mispacks can be traced back to the individual who packed them. Without one of those, you tend to get the staff not bothering since if anything goes wrong it can't be traced back to them.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 07:12:38 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Dren Dorrin
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 10:10:48 pm »

Makes me wish I lived closer to the fabled Towers.
Would be great to work for Mantic and I reckon I'd do them proud with my extensive and accurate product knowledge.
Besides I repacked all my Dwarf boxes upon recipet and got every box to close securely without a problem.

I have played a lot of Tetris through the years.....
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:11:10 pm »

Besides I repacked all my Dwarf boxes upon recipet and got every box to close securely without a problem.

I have played a lot of Tetris through the years.....

Getting sprues back into Mantic boxes? You have my awe and respect Dren.

When I tried that, I had to give up. I just left the sprues and body parts scattered around.

Probably because instead of Tetris, I played a lot of 1st person shooters through the years...
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 07:43:48 am »

When I tried that, I had to give up. I just left the sprues and body parts scattered around.

I painted mine...
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07:28 am »

hahaha... I just have several rickety stacks of sprue around the place. Most of my stuff gets assembled and sits there a while before getting undercoated then more sitting. I do play with it a bit however on Friday nights.

I don't think they have stuffed up one of my orders yet except recieving random free stuff from time to time!
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
Nightsword
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 12:54:02 am »

Higher than 5% errors sounds crazy, they must have really unmotivated staff that they're being too nice to instead of firing them. Or maybe the warehouse staff all have guns so mantic don't dare to fire any of them incase they return the favour. this is Nottingham we're talking about here. Kneecap central.

Another problem could be that they might not a staff tracking system in place so that mispacks can be traced back to the individual who packed them. Without one of those, you tend to get the staff not bothering since if anything goes wrong it can't be traced back to them.

We had an outsourced warehouse outside of Nottingham, so not our staff, which no longer meets the needs of the business or consumer, hence why we're moving and will install new systems and processes as a result Smiley Our relationship with our warehouse was difficult, to say the least.
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 04:56:29 am »

Ah I see.. in that case bringing it in-house is a great idea, especially if you can hire some people who are already into wargaming, you could get a pretty good working community going.

I mean, there's loads of unemployment and loads of wargamers in Nottingham, so there's gotta be some overlap there... and probably more than a few ex-GW people.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: