Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 06:10:27 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Greetings Mantic Fanatics!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings Mantic Fanatics!  (Read 110 times)
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:58:50 am »

Hey there!
I'm Gerry Lee, a middle aged gamer from Hawaii. Having become disabled awhile ago, I have a lot of time for painting and message boards, neither of which I do particularly well, ha ha:) Mantic's Kings of War game and miniatures have become a passion for me, and I want to do my part to help the company we love through promoting the game locally and by posting my thoughts here and on other boards.

If I post too much, someone stop me:) I'm just excited about Mantic and write a lot. I also post pictures of my miniatures even though they aren't well painted. People get motivated all kinds of ways. Some people see a gorgeous miniature and feel inspired. Others feel discouraged. Some people see a poorly painted model and feel disgusted. But some feel then that it's all right if they aren't the best of painters either. It's a crazy world. For me, the important thing is that this is a hobby for everyone:)

I think the greatest songwriter ever is Jim Steinman, and that while many artists did his masterpieces justice, no one excelled as much as Bonnie Tyler:)

In terms of Mantic Armies, I collect Elves and Undead. Right now I'm really into the undead, especially ghouls. If you have a strong stomach, pick up Brian McNaughton's 'The Throne of Bones' and read the short story 'Meryphillia'. It's my favorite.

Well, that's all I can think of to say right here. Be well all, and be blessed!
--- Gerry
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Lyracian
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 10:00:03 pm »

I am a fairly average painter myself so I know what you mean.  Still the more I try the better I get.  Smiley

I love Mantic models too.  They are cheap and look good! What more could you want?  Personally I do not think I will buy any WHFB stuff from GW unless it is a really nice character model.  My rank and file will all be Mantic made.
Report Spam   Logged

Ne cede melia, Lyracian.

My Blog http://lyracian.blogspot.com/ Battle Reports and Random Musings.
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 04:55:01 am »

Hi Lyracian, thanks for your reply! I'm trying to stick to Mantic models too, because I love the miniatures, but also because I want to support the company for it's wonderful philosophy and all the good they are doing our hobby. I do get tempted to buy an occasional Reaper or other company, but they are to enhance my army, not to replace the cherished Mantic models:) But what I was going to say was, did you notice how big Mantic characters are compared to the Rank and File? The Elf Prince and Antonia the Dark, they are giants compared to the troopers. I don't think a Citadel character would look out of place in their company:)

Be well Lyracian!
Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:42:29 am »

Hey Gerry,

don't be worried about posting too much, it's a very informal site, and I'd rather there was too much crap to go through rather than none at all.   Tongue  Anyway, the way of the Spamurai is a very noble path.

As far as painting goes, I reckon the only person who should be judging your minis, is you.  Really, it depends what you are after.  As far as I'm concerned, I now paint because I find it pretty relaxing after work, and I have got into a rhythm, where my Speed Painting 101 works well.  It isn't designed for close scrutiny, rather, to have a lot of painted models on the table.  To be honest, I'd rather play a game against someone who has a below table-top standard army than someone who has a horde of silver or grey models.  The biggest issue I ever had, and probably what stopped me painting for many years, was that I tried to paint each mini individually, and I could never get the results with a brush that I could envisage.  I wouldn't consider what I'm doing now as lowering my standards, more, moving the goalposts.  Now, I want fully painted armies, not a fully painted rank of 5.   Grin

At the end of the day, at least you are painting your minis, which is worthy of praise, and whilst you may feel that you could do better, I'm sure many people would be glad to sit down for a game against you, as you have put the time and effort into getting your army battle-ready.

On another note, if you ever want to ask anything in regards to painting, feel free, I'm happy to impart what knowledge I have.

Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: