Mantic Fanatics
April 19, 2024, 07:48:04 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Lizardmen

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Lizardmen  (Read 1884 times)
strewart
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:14:54 pm »

Well, my Lizardmen army is my newest and last WHFB army, they are still somewhat WiP and a lot are still awaiting photography, but even more are awaiting being finished which is probably a higher priority. There isn't really an overall theme for these guys except I wanted some bright red/orange on them. Also, my painting technique for this army is incredibly time consuming, involving up to 7 layers of highlight for each individual scale on each model (I've got it down to 4-5 on saurus now) which is definitely contributing to the slow progress of the army.

A skink in all its powerful glory

I found the poses of saurus to be a little boring, so I wanted my front rank to be running, I converted them by bending and snipping legs and arms. Only have a photo of the unit champ while he was WiP, he is jumping from a rock. I'll put up others at a later date.

I couldn't see myself using a scar vet on foot (if I did, Chakax model is much nicer) but I bought one very early on, so I decided to make him a unit filler. Thanks gaarew for the 50mm bases!

My first stegadon

My Slann is not going to go on a normal palanquin, he is floating himself with his own magical energy. I made his palanquin out of a round clear unit base. I intend to try some OSL (object source lighting) on the Slann, but I have no experience with the technique so I want to practice it a bit before doing it on a Slann.

My favourite model and one of the models that got me into LM in the first place, thus the one I have spent the most time on so far, the carnosaur! (Shame a Slann is irresistable in the new rules, at 3k I will try to cram both in)

And lastly for now, I know this is a painting forum but I want to show a conversion I'm working on. I dislike the metal terradons, and I dislike their prices, so I am heavily converting the unit from Tyranid gargoyles. It is probably my most ambitious conversion work ever, and I only have one done, I'm finding scales very difficult to model.

That will do for now. This is probably the army I am trying to work on most at the moment, so hopefully a lot more to follow in a few weeks/months/years depending on how much free time and motivation I can find.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:54:59 pm »

That carnosaur is excellent - the base and the model work really well together.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 08:55:10 pm »

Good stuff!  The Terradon conversion is certainly different.  One of my mates is doing a counts as Lizardman army using the Warlord Games Celts, he ordered toy dragonflies off ebay to use as them.

I can't believe you are dedicated/stupid/insane enough to do 7 highlights on the scales on a Skink though... 
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 02:48:58 pm »

Bizarrely that conversion gives me ideas for a tyranid army...

Great use of colors on the skinks and that Carnosaur turned out brilliant!
Stegadon is also coming along nicely. I always loved the Stegadon model and have always wanted to use it as the basis of a conversion for my Orc army... but what?
Mini Fantasy Squiggoth?
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
Clan Truehammer
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2012, 03:58:14 pm »

really like the bright color on these.  Any updates?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: