Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 11:43:58 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mantic Fantasy & General News & Rumour Roundup

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Mantic Fantasy & General News & Rumour Roundup  (Read 6607 times)
Nightsword
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2011, 06:26:39 pm »

Mantic Warehouse now re-open!
Report Spam   Logged
Maccwar
M

Mantic Points: +11/-0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2011, 06:32:22 pm »

And verily there was much rejoicing!
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2011, 06:39:47 pm »

And with Dwarf Hold 2, Elves vs Orcs, being officially announced in today's newsletter, there will soon be much buying.

Edit: another Orc week announced for next week. I'm hoping it'll be one of the stronger army weeks, as a couple of them have been rather disappointing this year.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 06:51:07 pm by Darsc Zacal » Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Fear Of Drowning
M

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »

I am not too sold on the head on the Greatax Orc pictured in the newsletter, and the axe not fitting straight into the hand looks a bit shoddy. Yet I love the head of the Greatax  seen in the banner on top of the newsletter, the same head in the entire unit it is then.

It also says that Dwarf King's Hold is about to sell out, has it always been a splash release?

« Last Edit: May 13, 2011, 09:19:27 pm by Fear Of Drowning » Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2011, 09:54:29 pm »

I recently read of a hint on closing open hands around a weapon. As I recall it was just to apply  plastic glue to the hands, allowing them to slightly soften, and then gently bend them around the shaft of the weapon.

I've tried something similar in the past. I think it should work as long as one is careful.

The head didn't bother me. Figures with it can always be placed in the center of the unit where they will be less noticable.

The one head that I really can't stand is the one in the top hat. That won't be used in my army unless I come up with a way to modify it.

I just like the overall vibe of the Orcs. I hope sales are strong so that they will release more units in the furture with unique sculpts.

Regarding Dwarf Kings hold, I imagine since it includes cardboard tiles, Mantic had to order a specific quantity from the printers for it's first run. If it's proven successful I don't see why Mantic couldn't arrange for a second printing run.
Report Spam   Logged

Nightsword
newb

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2011, 10:16:30 pm »

I'm hoping it'll be one of the stronger army weeks, as a couple of them have been rather disappointing this year.

I'm writing it - it will be better Wink

The one head that I really can't stand is the one in the top hat. That won't be used in my army unless I come up with a way to modify it.

I've ignored it, it's fully possibly not to use it Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2011, 10:56:07 pm »

The bells rang out and the people cheered, yea verily, there was much rejoicing upon Nightswords return to Mantic Towers. Grin

And you know Mantic has finally arrived when posters on the GW forums are saying that the new Forgeworld Chaos Dwarves look like Mantic figures. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 03:28:17 am »

Very excited about DKH 2. Rules for missile fire should make things even more interesting hopefully but dependant on how it is implemented.

As for the Greatax Orcs... I reckon they look the business. The head does look a little weird, a bit too smiley for my likings but thats not a huge issue for me. What I am hoping for is some closed hands on the sprue so that they dont all have to be holding their weapons two handed but rather some can have them resting on their shoulders or touching the ground.

As for the lacklustre army weeks... Wholeheartedly agree. Some of the past ones sucked big time even more so when you are waiting around till midnight-1am over here to see what the newest blog update is just to see it be another painted example. I'd prefer to see sprue closeups and maybe some cool looking conversion/kit bash examples.
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 02:02:57 pm »

And you know Mantic has finally arrived when posters on the GW forums are saying that the new Forgeworld Chaos Dwarves look like Mantic figures. Wink

Of course, the bad news is that statement is generally intended as an insult from people who don't like either.

A recent thread was interesting... a few people changed their mind about the orcs after I showed them the new paintjob... that stupid goggle-eyed initial paintjob from mantic did a lot of damage, it made people picture them as stupid and goofy. Too late to change it now, Mantic put a banner up on Warseer with the ugly paintjob for a whole month.

They really *really* need to work on getting their presentation right. The first time. Not 2 months later after the general public thinks the models suck. It makes it really hard for me to even attempt to present mantic as an attractive option to other gamers if all I have to work with are pics with sucky paintjobs.

The Elves, Undead and Dwarfs had great paintjobs, but after that it all went massively hit-or-miss.

I'm not saying Golem are bad, I just think they're still in the process of figuring out how to paint a model so that it looks good for photography. A lot of people dislike GW's eavy metal style, but forget that it does a really good job of doing what it's supposed to.. showing off the detail on the sculpts.

The abyssal dwarf vote for the paint scheme was a good idea. In that case both of the test schemes looked good so it didn't make much difference. With the orcs it would have made a massive difference.

Feedback on the abyssal characters worked well too.

Still it could be worse... I think wargames factory has just about the most atrocious presentation in the entire industry at this point.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 02:09:16 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2011, 11:00:22 am »

Still it could be worse... I think wargames factory has just about the most atrocious presentation in the entire industry at this point.

Yeah, I'm still recovering from the sheer crapness of the shock trooper packaging.  They could have just scribbled 18 shocktroopers on the box and it would have been more presentable.

As for the painting, I'm sure Mantic have the resources to generate multiple paintjobs for new models.  Painter's Circle springs to mind...   Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2011, 12:07:45 pm »

Of course, the bad news is that statement is generally intended as an insult from people who don't like either.

That does happen a lot... However, I did notice in the Chaos Dwarf Forgeworld thread a lot of people were saying that the Mantic ones were much better than what Forgeworld had come up with, which was a great sign. Of course there were still those who disliked Mantic ones, but you can't please everybody.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of Orc week this week, Nightsword! It must be almost time for Tuesday's post, right?

In other news, I am seeing a lot of people asking about or talking about the rumoured Mantic sci-fi range. I wonder if it is getting anywhere near close to an announcement? Now would almost be a perfect time to strike and add it to a market full of people desperate to jump off GW onto something better. It will be very difficult to live up to the heights of 40k though to be honest.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:19:49 pm by strewart » Report Spam   Logged
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2011, 04:14:02 am »

Anyone know what is happening with the Mantic blog? It hasn't loaded since yesterday morning.
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2011, 05:47:50 am »

Anyone know what is happening with the Mantic blog? It hasn't loaded since yesterday morning.

Theory #1 - Ronnie broke it!
Theory #2 - Nightsword broke it!
Theory #3 - GW broke it! Conspiracy!!!
Theory #4 - The curse of Mantics Army weeks continues!
Report Spam   Logged

scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2011, 09:38:50 am »

That does happen a lot... However, I did notice in the Chaos Dwarf Forgeworld thread a lot of people were saying that the Mantic ones were much better than what Forgeworld had come up with, which was a great sign. Of course there were still those who disliked Mantic ones, but you can't please everybody.
Well, from that thread I see a lot more people hating them than liking them. But then it is Warseer. Tongue

Including this wonderful little comment:

Yes, the Abyssal Dwarfs are cheap, but taking a **** is free and the end result looks better than those Mantic models.

Anyway, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to gouge my eyes out with a spoon and wash my optic nerves with bleach.

The funny thing is this guy also mentions that he really wants to buy chaos dwarves, but can't afford forge world. So, the cognitive dissonance of "want but can't have" (combined with a massive sense of self-entitlement) results in rage directed towards mantic for not being exact clones of forgeworld for a quarter of the price... without taking into account the fact that mantic is making models for it's own game system now primarily, with GW compatibility being an added bonus.

I get the feeling we'll be seeing a lot more hissy fits the more GW puts their prices up... will try my best not to respond to any blatant trolling that appears on warseer.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 10:29:59 am by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2011, 12:47:27 pm »

I think its because the photos of Abyssal Dwarfs aren't particularly good. I had to look at a lot closely before I started to like them, the photo and/or paintjob doesn't really highlight the details in the correct way unfortunately.

You can't please everyone, but really I think harsh comments like that are just uncalled for. On the internet people seem to forget that it is human beings that have spent hours working on these models. If it was an amatuer job in a thread on warseer I bet there would be hardly any negative comments on the same models, and certainly none as harsh as that. You need a pretty hard shell to display any personal work in the public domain..
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: