Mantic Fanatics
April 19, 2024, 07:51:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mantic Fantasy & General News & Rumour Roundup

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Mantic Fantasy & General News & Rumour Roundup  (Read 6665 times)
strewart
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2011, 06:45:24 pm »

Darsc will be pleased to see the Orc 3-up is now available to order! I have now put in my order for the big army deal of Orcs, the 3-up, and the 3-up undead dog finally. Really looking forward to this lot, everything is looking great so far!
Report Spam   Logged
Nightsword
newb

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2011, 09:50:47 pm »

What's happened to Dren/Da Eavy?

also, check out the new vid on YouTube:

Grin

We'd love it if this video just about ended up everywhere XD
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2011, 09:57:02 pm »

Apparently Waaaagh, is made of money, if he can afford to go around destroying a GW orc!  Wink

I like it.  Funny.  Lighthearted.  Amusing.  Makes the point.

Except to Ramon Ortiz.  He won't get it.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2011, 01:42:00 am »

Haha thats a pretty cool video! It didn't show up in the space in the newsletter for me... Was there a second one as well?

A couple of comments.. That orc is married?!? I saw the ring. I wonder what the lovely orcet is like.
Secondly, I have preordered the orc army deal, can I have the sprues that the orc licked in the video please? Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2011, 03:47:00 am »

Darsc will be pleased to see the Orc 3-up is now available to order! I have now put in my order for the big army deal of Orcs, the 3-up, and the 3-up undead dog finally. Really looking forward to this lot, everything is looking great so far!

Darsc is very pleased. Grin

Although I was sorta hoping the 3up might have been of a GreatAx.

Orc and one of the square bases is ordered. I already had the first Orc Army Deal on preorder. I'll have to wait till after my vacation to order that other army deal with the Gores.

Now I have to watch that Orc video I've been Reading about.

EDIT: Watched the video and I've mixed feelings about it.

I get that it's all in good fun and all that, but I also think it's a little, okay a lot, over the top. It comes across as gloating over GW's recent business decisions. The mask, the Waaagh, smashing the Wahammer Orc... It's all a bit too childish for me. I preferred Mantics previous more subtle, humourous, and intelligent cuts and jabs at GW than this ORC-HAMMER-SMASH approach.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 05:12:31 am by Darsc Zacal » Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2011, 10:26:40 am »

I laughed at the video (especially when he started licking the box), but it does kinda fail on account of the fact that that's actually a mantic orc being smashed, not a GW one. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2011, 11:45:10 am »

Fair enough if it gets the point across I guess, who the hell would want to buy a GW orc?!?
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2011, 01:04:23 pm »

I liked it. Mantic inject some humour into the hobby which GW seem to have forgotten about.
Report Spam   Logged
Nightsword
newb

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2011, 02:58:50 pm »

I get the feeling Monly didn't get it...
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2011, 03:17:09 pm »

He never does.  He never does.

The sooner you guys get to making anthropomorphized tiger cubs with laser arms and a web-shooting tail -- you know -- something original -- the sooner he can love you.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 01, 2011, 09:46:20 pm »

Lots on the Blog today.  Turn 8, metal price rises...
Report Spam   Logged
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2011, 04:26:49 am »

Interesting. The fact that Mantic cannot go all resin suggests that the cost and time for the resin casting is indeed significant, despite cheaper shipping and cheaper material. If Mantic has been able to justify and afford converting some kits to resin and doubling the amount of models, I wonder what the biggest barrier is? A fact of number of sales per sculpt maybe?
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2011, 05:49:09 am »

Mantic makes a limited number of their miniatures in restic, of which, as far as I've heard, are all of very good quality castings.

GW rushes their casting procedure in order to transfer a large number of their miniatures from metal to restic... And they have poor casting quality problems coming out of their waazoo.

I think that's probably your answer right there. If one wants quality, one just can't be rushed.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 04, 2011, 05:08:29 pm »

Well, the labour costs are higher for resin (moulds need replacing more regularly, something like 40 casts per mould compared to 300 for metal), and you need highly skilled staff to do it to a high standard.

So, I guess it's a case of mantic having a few staff members working on this (or an external freelancer, which is the usual way they like to do things) and there being limited room to hire more staff or buy more facilities to support a larger operation at this point.

I assume there would be nothing stopping them from making a full switch in the future, if funds allow... at this point funds probably don't allow for it what with so many other different projects on the go that are set for release this year (Dwarf kings hold design and printing, KoW goblins/dark elves/humans, Warpath).

I'm optimistic that we'll see an increased rate of resin plastic releases in future.. dwarf kings hold selling out is a good sign, that means they should have recuperated their expenses on the first print run, so when the second print run goes on sale it'll be all profit.

There really aren't all that many metal miniatures left anyway. Characters and Monsters can stay metal because you don't need whole units of them. as for everything else...

Undead - There aren't any metal units! Neat.

Orcs - No 100% metals, either. Morax can easily be converted from a mix of plastic Ax / GreatAx. Hoping fight wagons and/or chariots are on the "to do" list for eventual plastic or resin plastic too..

Dwarfs - Ironguard. These should have been a hybrid kit from the start, they're currently too expensive and don't look much different to the ironclads.. good resculpt target, IMO. Berserkers - No big deal, AoW stepped in here.

Abyssals - Hybrids are fine, berserkers.. see AoW again. Halfbreeds, could use resin (and an actual release, I'd still like to be able to buy these seperately).

Elves - probably best left until last unfortunately. Drakon Riders and Stormwind Cav are not the best of models and would probably need a resculpt before switching to resin. Palace Guard should be the #1 target for conversion here. Excellent models that you do need whole units of.

So, if we pick 3 or so units to go resin, one from each of the armies that need it, that results in: Dwarf Ironguard, Abyssal Halfbreeds, Elf Palace Guard.

Another bonus of doing Halfbreeds in resin plastic is that the bodies are the same as the immortal guard.. so potential there for a plastic/ resin plastic hybrid being released for that unit too.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 05:18:13 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 05, 2011, 11:43:32 am »

Lots of exciting stuff out of the turn 8 show.

The only thing I am not excited about is the Twilight Kin hybrids... the pictures we have seen before were not very exciting!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 03:43:08 pm by Robert » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: