Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 05:23:10 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

New player/backer

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New player/backer  (Read 433 times)
Iain Skinner
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2012, 10:40:07 pm »

Hey guys,

I'm super stoked to have found an active forum for this great new game.  A big thanks to ScarletSquig (I think that's your name?) for posting so actively and enthusiastically about this great system on other forums that I was able to find this forum through his/her posts elsewhere.

I've played Warhammer, Necromunda, Gorka Morka, Warhammer 40K, and various other Games Workshop games since I was about 12 (I'm 27 now) and I'm really excited to find a game that seems to be more strategy-heavy and less about what WHFB has (unfortunately imo) turned into. 

I'm not going to jump right in slagging WHFB and GW off, but I will say, that there's a reason I went looking for a new system to play!

I found a local supplier and grabbed the Undead Warhost and I was blown away by the quality of the models and the absurdly low price tag. I'm going back down later in the week to grab some Orcs and start running some demo games here in Vancouver, BC for my WHFB buddies.

I backed Mantic on Kickstarter and I've been blown away by the fact they seem to genuinely care about their players, and I hope that remains a constant given Kings of War imo is going to be absolutely huge in the next ten years and it may be harder for them to be so personable when this thing really takes off (which I`m sure it will).

From reading the rules and army books, the things I'm most excited about in this game are

- attacks only being made in your own turn like chess - no more charging and getting killed to a man before you even get to swing
- the timed games like chess
- the emphasis on tactics over magic item super combos
- the streamlined rules
- the decidely old-school feel of the magic rules

- and of course the beautiful sculpted and properly scaled models
- and most of all the fact that Orcs appear to actually function on the field the way I feel they should in this game (long suffering Orcs and Goblins player here)

Anyway don't want to wear out my welcome on my first post, rambling on and on, just know I'm glad to have found this site and I look forward to sharing my pics and battle reports as I get this ball rolling.

If anyone knows a place in Vancouver, BC where people are already playing this game, or simply is looking for an opponent here in Van, hit me up on PM or right here in this thread.  If not, I`m looking to start some games up at a local club here in Van and I`ll keep you posted.

Cheers,

- Iain
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:12:02 am by Iain Skinner » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 02:39:54 am »

Hi Iain. Welcome to the Fanatics!

Well your post is certainly interesting, mostly cause I'm from Greater Vancouver too. You're the first local besides myself I've seen posting.

I'm guessing the store you're talking about is Imperial Hobbies? I don't know of any others carrying Mantic stock instore. It's a great store, one of my favourites, but they are a bit cramped for gaming space. Have you ever been out to Gamestars in Langley? I've spoken with them and they are open to Kings of War Demo games. I haven't done it myself yet for two reasons.

1/ I've never had an opponent.

2/Despite being a Mantic Fanatic/customer for almost 3 years now... I've never actually played a game. I'm mostly a painter/collector these days and even that, as gaarew will be only too eager to tell you, I do VERY slowly. So far, I only have some of my Elven units painted up and am part way through my Dwarfs.

Anyway, once the new rules come out, I'd be interested in learning them. If you're into it, we could meet up at one of the stores.

As for active forums for Mantic, you should visit the official one.

http://forum.manticblog.com/forum.php

it's also a very friendly place. The only thing is, once you register there, it requires an Admin to approve you before you can post. From past experience, that might not happen over the weekend but give it a try anyway.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Iain Skinner
newb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 08:11:10 am »

Darsc,

Great to know there's another person interested in Van!

Imperial hobbies is the one.

I've got a couple of guys from my local GW interested in some demo games too. 

Langley is kind of a trek, I'm thinking Connections on Renfrew will be a better spot given the guys I play at are centered in town and I'm the only one with a car!  Connections are open to people doing more or less anything there so long as you support them one way or another whether it's buying some comics or whatever there.   But I'll be open to making the drive if you're out in that direction and Gamestars is a good spot, I actually lived in Langley briefly last year. 

I'll let you know when we're getting the first games up and running which will probably be in August or September once I have a couple of forces painted up and the kickstarter sets start shipping. 

I just signed up on the official Mantic forum as well, so I'm sure I'll see you around there as well. 

Cheers,

- Iain. 
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 08:20:29 am by Iain Skinner » Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 11:28:34 am »

Welcome to the Fanatics. Smiley

I'm not sure if it's a good thing for Darsc that he's found another local or not -- he may actually get to start playing KoW.

We're glad you found us over here.  This is the unofficial forum for Mantic.  You'll notice a number of the mods on the official site post here, so there's a pretty good cross-pollenation.  We can be a bit more laid back over here, but the official forums (thankfully) see a great amount of traffic now.  But you are now hooked in to all the official and semi-official babbling that you can find.

Again, welcome, and enjoy your stay here.

Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Iain Skinner
newb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 06:01:08 pm »

Welcome to the Fanatics. Smiley

I'm not sure if it's a good thing for Darsc that he's found another local or not -- he may actually get to start playing KoW.

We're glad you found us over here.  This is the unofficial forum for Mantic.  You'll notice a number of the mods on the official site post here, so there's a pretty good cross-pollenation.  We can be a bit more laid back over here, but the official forums (thankfully) see a great amount of traffic now.  But you are now hooked in to all the official and semi-official babbling that you can find.

Again, welcome, and enjoy your stay here.

thanks man.

yeah, looks like the official forum stole some of you guys' thunder
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:02:37 pm »

Welcome aboard!

Glad to see that my unstoppable rambling about Mantic everywhere has done some good! Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:04 pm »

thanks man.

yeah, looks like the official forum stole some of you guys' thunder

It wasn't stolen thunder.  This forum started as 1) a place where fans of Mantic could go and avoid the endless Angerposting by GW fanbois, and 2) a very relaxed place to discuss Mantic. 

This was always intended to be a sideline forum until Mantic was able to get a good, fully-staffed forum up and running.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Iain Skinner
newb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:40 am »

Picked up Malak's Endless Hordes today.  With the Undead Warhost I already had, I'm up to about 1500 points!

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: