Mantic Fanatics
April 19, 2024, 02:11:24 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Warpath rules versus 40k rules.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warpath rules versus 40k rules.  (Read 1459 times)
Clan Truehammer
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: May 11, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »

Most of my wargaming experience is on the fantasy side, the only sci-fi gaming I've done is Battletech (I did try 40k once).  If it were up to me I'd stay in the realms of fantasy. However, my 13-year old wants to build a sci-fi army with tanks, walkers, and what not. I'm open to anything. 

As far as rules go which system do you guys like best?  I really love the simplicity of play that KOW brings to the table. Are the Warpath rules just as easy to pick up and go with?

The one time I played 40K I was discouraged by all the rules and "extra rules" that there were. It seemed like too much work to be enjoyable. 
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 12:09:52 am »

Mantic will be releasing an updated and revised set of rules for Warpath later this year. You might want to wait for that and grab a copy.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 01:08:17 pm »

And GW will be doing the same for 40,000.   Although I doubt it will be free.

You may want to hold off on the comparisons until then.

And despite the outrageous prices, the GW starter games generally have a good value for money:model count ratio.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 11:26:22 am »

^ A few years ago I'd have agreed with you, but not anymore.

Black Reach was £40 when it came out (2008 I think? Not long ago), now it's £61.50

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/armySubUnitCats.jsp?catId=cat550004a&rootCatGameStyle=wh40k

I'd put good odds on £70 for the 6th edition set.

On the other hand, Warpath isn't all that much cheaper per model than 40k, and the model range is much smaller, plus everyone and their dog plays 40k currently. It'll be a few years before it becomes solid competition.

It depends what you're after... if you want a simple, fun game that isn't much hassle to play with your kid, Warpath could be great, but if he/she wants to game elsewhere or at clubs/ GW stores, then 40k will be the best bet for now.

Keep in mind that what is confusing/ too much of an overcomplicated hassle for you might not be confusing for someone younger than you. I had no problem learning every last bit of 40k 2nd edition as a 9 year-old, but if you asked me to remember any of it now, or learn/play a ruleset that is just as horribly complex as that game was... no chance.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:39:20 am by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Tellos
newb

Mantic Points: +5/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2012, 06:08:09 pm »

i'm basically in that "struggle" myself, play warpath or 40K.

5th edition sucks, along with it's codices, which are now based
on powerplay more then balance.
i have to much 40K stuff lying around, some of which could be
converted for warpath, but not all.

like the simplicity of warpath, and might make my own armylists to make
warpath 40K

if i continue with 40K it will most certainly be 3rd edition, as that's
where i started with and we all had fun playing, maybe adding
some of the rules of 4th edition.
here the old 3rd edition codices need to get an upgrade with all
the new stuff that has come out since then.

if you want to see the rules for 40K, their are places that have
the rulebook for free download, so you can see what you want.

Cheers
Report Spam   Logged
Clan Truehammer
newb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2012, 07:48:03 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest my kid is dead set on a necron army. Like Tellos I was thinking of just making my own list to fit warpath. However, my kid would probably like to play at the local gaming shops. 

My biggest concern is having my kid become a 40k player. The idea of him nose deep in the 40K rulebook is tempting (keeps him out of my hair for a while). 

I guess we could always run both game systems. One for the old man (me) and one for the young buck..
Report Spam   Logged
Buffirn
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

Current Army: Dwarf, Kingdoms of Man(Brettonians), and coming soon....UNDEAD

Indecision is the key to airpower.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2012, 09:56:00 pm »

Thanks for the feedback.

To be honest my kid is dead set on a necron army. Like Tellos I was thinking of just making my own list to fit warpath. However, my kid would probably like to play at the local gaming shops. 

My biggest concern is having my kid become a 40k player. The idea of him nose deep in the 40K rulebook is tempting (keeps him out of my hair for a while). 

I guess we could always run both game systems. One for the old man (me) and one for the young buck..

I have played quite a few more games of Kings of War than Warpath.  Fortunately, the games are very similar.  I can heartily recommend KOW or Warpath.  I have played 40K, WFB and WAB and enjoyed them all.  I find that now as I am older, I really enjoy the fluidity of KOW and WP.  Warseer and the Mantic Games Forum have a number of fanlists for your favorite army.  Most are fairly well balanced.  You could always go that way.

I really like your idea of playing both.  Warpath and 40K are both good games.  Just watch out for the power gamers in 40K.  The rules lead you to that, unfortunately.

In any case, have fun with your youung buck and don't let him win too many games.
Report Spam   Logged
Clan Truehammer
newb

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2012, 03:17:28 pm »

He already wins his fair share of KoW games with his undead.  However, my daughters elves are the undisputed champs.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: