Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 12:40:28 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

First Impressions?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First Impressions?  (Read 1069 times)
Fear Of Drowning
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 07:47:23 pm »

Is anyone else having trouble making head or tail (there is no tail) of the green of the Orc sorcerer?

Like the look of the GreatAX bodies though.
Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 07:54:39 pm »

It is a weird sculpt to get your head round alright!

Odin bless Garlak, his monstrous horde will be mine!  (very interested to see that the Moraxs are metal hybrids...)
Report Spam   Logged
Fear Of Drowning
M

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 07:58:46 pm »

I think he is firing a fireball, and there is a snotling type thing, but apart from that I have no idea.

Are the Morax's just two hand weapon armed Orcs? That is weird as on the normal Orc sprue you get a left arm where you can arm it with an additional handweapon.
Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:04:17 pm »

I'd assume it is some metal arms and metal heads...

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Orcs/Army-Deals/Product/Garlaks-Monstrous-Horde.html

This gives you additional morax heads for more variation.
Report Spam   Logged
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2011, 01:29:24 am »

Excellent, a real army box! Very tasty too, will definitely get one. I'm not sure whether to go for the Barbarous Horde, or the Monstrous Horde.. 51 GBP extra for 20 cavalry and 1 goblin/mawbeast doesn't really seem like great extra value to me.. I know we can expect 20 cavalry to go for 50GBP based on the undead ones, but still for an army deal its not a lot extra.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2011, 06:36:39 am »

I'm liking the idea of the big set (naturally).

The extra £50 is pretty much the cost of 20 cavalry, but I expect that the Gore Riders will be a lot more substantial than the Revenant Knights.  Plus you get the Goblin with Mawbeast.

Plus, it should complement the Orc army I already have on order.   Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2011, 07:35:29 am »

I really hate to arrive late to a conversation to find that EVERYONE has made the observations and comments that I was going to.

Seriously. Everything from trying to get my head around that Orc Shaman sculpt to wondering about the Morax options, to thinking the 20 Orc Gores likely being worth the price of the bigger army deal due to their larger size and how that Orc army deal will compliment my pending Orc Army from my previous preorder.

Just as I finish reading one post and start thinking "oh good, at least he didn't bring up that other point" ... I move on to the next post and there's that other point!

It's like you guys are inside my head! Shocked I mean actually Inside... My... Head! Shocked Shocked Shocked

---

---

I swear I haven't been drinking or doing any other stuff. Undecided
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Robert
Mant

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2011, 07:47:54 am »

Don't forget you also get the Goblin and Mawbeast... the beastie looks a substantial sculpt....
Report Spam   Logged
Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2011, 08:43:31 am »

What would have been smart is if they put that Mage in the larger of the deals only or added another unique sculpt. Still I'll be buying that larger deal as I just bought 20 Revenant Cavalry so will need the 20 Gores to deal with those...
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2011, 09:05:44 am »

I swear I haven't been drinking or doing any other stuff. Undecided

Like painting?   Tongue

Plus, the Mawbeast will probably be an early release as the Goblins are a long way off.
Report Spam   Logged

scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2011, 11:59:02 am »

I'll be waiting until the £50 army box is released to retail... and buying multiple copies of it.

I never buy limited edition figures. They're a sales tactic that I strongly dislike, so I never use my money to support it.

Will happily pick up the shaman if it's included as a mantic points reward, or for sale seperately though.

If it really is just a limited thing for the army deal instead.. meh, screw it, I'll just buy one from GW/ AoW instead. If mantic makes it hard for me to give them money for a particular unit, then they're not getting it. I might be a fan, but I'm still objective when it comes to making smart purchases.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 12:03:40 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2011, 12:53:55 pm »

Bear in mind that there may not even be rules for him (re Dwarf Driller) as it was stated that Orcs don't use magic.
Report Spam   Logged

Fear Of Drowning
M

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2011, 01:26:29 pm »

I have a feeling that the price of the Gore Riders may be scaled up above that of the Revenant Knights (as is the case with the Orc Ax horde when compared to the Undead, Elves etc), so the bigger army deal will probably still represent better value.

We have also seen this with the metal hero sets where we get 4 non mounted Elves/Undead/Dwarves vs 3 models in the Abyssal/Orc set on account of the Gore lord/Half Breed Champion. The gore riders will probably be restic but I can still see them being a little bit more expensive.

I kindof half agree with ScarletSquig on the limited edition factor but we also have to take into account the way that Mantic will use the slightest excuse to get them on sale for a limited time, and on some occasions full time. We have seen this with Morgoth and the other Mantic Points figures, the only one not available yet is the Elven Mounted Mage and I assume that that will not be the case for long.

I am stoked by this Orc release.
Report Spam   Logged
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2011, 01:36:04 pm »

We have also seen this with the metal hero sets where we get 4 non mounted Elves/Undead/Dwarves vs 3 models in the Abyssal/Orc set on account of the Gore lord/Half Breed Champion. The gore riders will probably be restic but I can still see them being a little bit more expensive.

They are definitely restic, the advance order page on Mantic's website confirms it. You're right though, they do look large and could well be a bit more expensive than the revenant knights.

Honestly, they could have advertised the deals without a limited edition mage and they would still be good value and people would still buy them. In this case I don't specifically see it as a sneaky marketing tactic, and have no problem with it.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2011, 03:43:03 pm »

5 for the Elves.  Don't forget the ****...   Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: