Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 07:31:04 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

First Impressions?

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: First Impressions?  (Read 1060 times)
war_grub
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2011, 10:17:34 am »

So now we have the first pictures up of the orcs and heroes, a bunch of fuff and an orc army list (check out mantics blog if you missed them). What does everyone think of the new orcs?

Couldn't be happier myself. Love the design. They look far more brutal than GW orcs. The heroes and gores look bad-ass. My only issue is the lack of variety on the sprue.

I'm loving the background and army list. THis is how orcs are meant to be. Brutal bad-asses who can smack the crap out of anyone. I really like the lack of goblins in the list. Just pure orc brutality. I also love having big units of chariots. It could use another unit or two, but I imagine they'll add more in time.

I'm hoping that they can keep the price down on the chariots and fight wagons. If they managed to make them in plastic I would be stoked. The prospect a fielding a couple of dozen orc chariots in a game is just......cool.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 03:11:02 pm »

I am loving the looks of the new Orcs. It seems that just about everyone is of the opinion that there could have been more variety on the sprues; especially the command sprue. Still they are going to be a cheap way to put together a massive army for whatever Fantasy gaming system you are playing.

Also I figure a lot of players interested in the Orcs will have a GW Orc army or at least some models so mixing and matching some weapons in with the Mantic stuff will give you that extra bit of variety.

Can't wait till I next get paid so I can get the 100 ax deal. I love big armies!
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:14:30 pm »

I don't think either the archer option or either of the goblin sneak options are worth it at all.

I'm looking forward to see what a fight wagon looks like though! Hard hitting but brittle for the foot troops. I can see lots of mounted armies (gores, chariots and fight wagons galore!)

Report Spam   Logged
war_grub
newb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2011, 10:53:02 am »

I can see what you mean about the archer option. 6+ Ra just doesn't seem worth taking in this game. It's the same with skeleton archers. I think they need to change the cost a little to make them worthwhile.

Goblin sneaks on the other hand.....sure it's not worth the points, but it's a pretty fun little addition. It does make me wonder, where are my rules for orclings damn it!? It looks like they'll be throwing these onto every sprue, so I'd like the option to take them. The only question is wether they should be a unit upgrade or feilded as swarms....
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 07:58:24 am »

1 - It looks like a fairly brutal list, especially if you go (heavy) cavalry heavy.

2 - Love the fact that they have added the options to mount Heroes, can't wait until they revise the original 3 lists to include this too.  I smell a Revenant King & Army Banner conversion...

3 - Lack of heads really isn't a big deal.  Dwarfs have 3 different seperate heads and I've made do so far.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 04:50:26 pm »

I like the orcs and the brutal, hard-hitting nature of the list seems good.

I hope to try them out this Sunday with my group.  Given the little bit I've heard, they seem to do pretty well at crushing other units initially but don't handle counter attacks well.  I think the cavalry army would be hard to beat, but I'd like to make the infantry really work. 

For that reason, I'd be tempted to try an oblique formation, and give units toward the slower side the bows.  Pick one flank and push that, maybe with a cav unit or two as your fastest side.  Let the other units trail.  If you deploy right, you should be putting a dead hard unit against one end of their line and hopefully routing it.  Having the trailing units keep advancing and adding nuisance damage with bows lets them weaken foes slightly while they're in position to defend the flank of your lead.  Once you crush the outside flank, you should, in theory, be able to drive that unit down their line while constantly hitting the point of attack with fresh units, meaning that something should get flanked every round.

I really have to give them a go and see if they work like I think, or if I get embarrassingly routed off the table.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 08:25:50 pm »

I think I put the option to ride a boar into my original Orc list didn't I? Wink

Still not convinced about the point of archers in the army. I've taken a unit of 15 for tonight's first game with the list so let's see how they do.

Sneeks (odd spelling) are not worth taking at all for the points they are.
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 07:20:56 am »

I don't have any opinion on the Orc army list yet, but from the very first Orc wip that we were shown a year ago, I really liked Mantics Orc design. I still do, even though there have been some odd decisions made with them as far as sprue layout and variety goes.

With only a month to go before the first preorder army deal being released, I'm hoping to soon see more pics of the Greatax sprues and those metal hero models.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 08:06:37 am »

The archers were predictably rubbish (see batrep section). The Orc army really needs to close the gap as soon as it can to maximise its hitting power.
Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 04:11:43 pm »

I like the look of the models we have seen so far.  Perhaps a little surprised at the lack of variety compared to the skeletons, dwarfs and elves but we will see as the range develops.

As for the list... it has the potential to hit very hard but also go very wrong as well.  Like the Undead...the archers seem a waste.
Report Spam   Logged
Fear Of Drowning
M

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 06:21:12 pm »

Model wise I love the Orc kit, I made a unit of 30 in under an hour and finished my first test mini yesterday and think they will be quick to paint as well. I have seen the two characters in person as well and they are stunning, the choppa on the boar warboss is brutal and excellent. My only hope is that the quality of the casting/strength of the metal holds up for it. My Abyssal Half Breed Lord's axe haft fell off after I barely looked at it and some of the casting was a bit off. I am also excited by the boars (which we have seen a preview of) and chariots to come. The Great Ax test sprue seems nice as well, so all in it could be as good an army as the Undead.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2011, 06:48:33 pm »

My Abyssal Half Breed Lord's axe haft fell off after I barely looked at it

Happened to mine too.

It means I can get another one, and have 1 with great axe, and one with not so great axe hand weapon.

Incidentally, the torso would probably fit on a set of plastic Dwarf legs for a new foot Hero.

Also, OT, I think that the Greatax sprues are almost ready to be unveiled.   Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Fear Of Drowning
M

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 07:18:38 pm »

That issue makes me think that restic is the way to go, it is much stronger. So Great Ax Orcs soon, excellent. The lads at Golem should have painted the characters by now as well.
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »

New paintjobs are brilliant.

Also, greatax sprue, looking good:

Gives us 2 new bodies and heads that we can totally mix and match with the regular ax troops. should be quite easy to make all-plastic morax units if we want too, but I think I'll pick some of the proper ones up for the extra heads.

1st July release for the Gore riders and other orc stuff, so it looks like it'll be August before the next release (possibly goblins, with mantic previewing sci-fi stuff for next year).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 07:32:18 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 07:46:14 pm »

My Abyssal Half Breed Lord's axe haft fell off after I barely looked at it

Happened to mine too.

Me 3  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: