Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 08:20:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Kings of War Invitational 2012 - Timmaaa's tale

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kings of War Invitational 2012 - Timmaaa's tale  (Read 3251 times)
Pyro Pete
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2012, 10:36:48 pm »

Right finally on here now i can see the list XD and john i think me battling out for last XD btw im Pete Smith aka Pyro with my Abyssal Dwarfs Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 06:01:48 pm »

Problem with my Internet on my laptop so can't post as much as I would like... Plus I'm playing!

Just stuck a pic up on Facebook showing the demo of pandora
Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 07:30:26 pm »

So the dust has settled on the second Kings of War Invitational and I don't Know about you but I thought it was an awesome weekend!

It was good to see everyone enjoying themselves, not only whilst playing in the event but also on the Saturday night in the bar! Think we had people playing Pandora and other games till 2200hrs!!

Congratulations to Josh for a second successive Invitational win, Matt Gilbert for the Best Painted army award and Ben Baker for picking up the Wooden Spoon (and  a copy of Warpath 'Fate of the Forge Star')!

Here are the final standings (with Nick's fixed!)

1. Josh Roberts - Twilight Kin - 18pts
2. Alberto Martin - Kingdom of Men - 13pts
3. Ken McLelland - Orcs - 12pts
4. Craig Johnson - Elves - 12pts
5. Richard Hornsby - Elves - 11pts
6. Martyn Chate - Orcs - 11pts
7. Jon Hickey - Elves - 11pts
8. Chris Nicholls - Twilight Kin - 10pts
9. Tim King - Abyssal Dwarfs - 10pts
10. Nick Simmerson - Orcs - 9pts
11. Alessio Cavatore - Kingdom of Men - 9pts
12. Christopher Prince - Elves - 9pts
13. Sanjay Agarwala - Elves - 8pts
14. Chris Palmer - Goblin - 7pts
15. Stuart Gibbs - Undead - 7pts
16. Chris Tamplin - Dwarfs - 7pts
17. Matt Gilbert - Undead - 7pts
18. Neil Dixon - Undead - 7pts
19. Jonathan Faulkes - Dwarfs - 7pts
20. Pete Smith - Abyssal Dwarfs - 6pts
21. Sharad Vora - Kingdom of Men - 5pts
22. Chris Parslow - Dwarfs - 5pts
23. John Dowbakin - Elves - 4pts
24. Dave Symonds - Dwarfs - 3pts
25. Andrew Harris - Elves - 2pts
26. Ben Baker -Elves - 2pts

A big personal thanks to my six opponents Chris Parslow, Pete, Josh, Chris Prince, Craig and the Evil Spaniard!  I will get round to a tournament report this week.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 08:31:37 pm by timmaaa » Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 11:23:06 am »

So made it back to Mantic HQ and thought I would get my Tournament Report up for everyone to see how ‘Timmaaa’s Tale’ played out…

A quick thank you before I begin to all my opponents, I thoroughly enjoyed all my games (even with Josh and Alberto abusing my something rotten) and hope you enjoy the read!

A quick recap of my army:

1750pts – Abyssal Dwarfs – Tim King

Overmaster
Iron Caster – Talisman of Inspiration
Army Standard Bearer

Greater Obsidian Golem
Troop of Lesser Obsidian Golems

2 x Regiments of Immortal Guard inc. Standard & Musician

1 x Horde of Decimators inc. Standard & Musician Boots of Levitation
3 x Troops of Decimators

4 x Angkor Heavy Mortars

Day 1 - Saturday

Game 1 – Chris Parslow (Dwarfs) – KILL!

So with a couple of drop outs on the morning I was actually playing and I took my tray of models down to join Chris on table 3.  After a quick hand shake and chat it turns out this would be Chris’s first experience of Kings of War so I felt the pressure was on to show him what this Game can offer!

Chris was taking Dwarfs with several Regiments of Ironwatch, a couple of Regiments of Ironclad, a small unit of Berzerkers with 2 Berzerker lords, a couple of cannons and two Steel Behemoths!!

I advanced up under fire from the Iron Watch but at long range didn’t suffer too much damage. The heavy mortars were generally rubbish in this game, hitting once in about 24 attempts.  However my Decimators were able to walk up and start picking on units before Chris got to charge.

There was an interesting duel between a Steel Behemoth and the Greater Obsidian Golem on my left flank which saw Mr. Choppy come out on top.  Chris’s other Behemoth was looking to abuse the Horde of Decimators before the Lesser Golems charged in.

A close game but scored just enough to walk out in front!

Result: Win

Game 2 – Pete Smith (Abyssal Dwarfs) – PILLAGE!

So game 2 see’s both the Abyssal Dwarf players paired against each other.  Unfortunately for Pete I had more decimators and he had no warmachines.

Pete’s army had 2 Regiments of Blacksouls with mutated mastiff’s (evil little buggers!), a Regiment of Immortal Guard, 3 troops of Lesser Golems, an Overmaster on Greater Abyssal with Regen!!, and several troops of Decimators.

My Artillery got better in this game but not great.  Pete realised to late he flew his Lord into 16” of the Horde Decimators and he turned into a horrible squidgy mess in my next turn.

Not a good match up for Pete as wherever he wanted to move up to Charge range meant standing in Decimator range for a turn.

A solid win for me!

Game 3 – Josh Roberts (Twilight King) – KILL and PILLAGE!

What can you say about the man who won 6 out 6! Well I went to the game with a plan… to deploy on my board edge!

And promptly deployed the Horde Decimators 12 inches on… rubbish!

Josh had 5 Assassins, 6 Gargoyles and 5 units of knights.  A very quick list and I didn’t have the range or speed to deal with them.

Josh scored 2800 attrition points which in a 1750 game was pretty bad for me…!!

Result: Loss (Huge loss…!)

Saturday Night

So ends day one, 2 wins and a loss which I was pretty happy about.

We then retired to the bar for some food and a beer (or few).  Jake Thornton came down to demo Pandora: Grim Cargo as we had mocked up a couple of board so players could try out the training mission.  Everyone seemed to be really enjoying it and I even got a go a bit later on (shouting BANG! A little too excitedly!!).

We also had the 3 up set of Dwarf Kings hold with us but Orcy must have borrowed a couple of the models. Luckily Mr. Choppy (my Greater Obsidian Golem) made a very good Skelly and Martyn Chates Giant stood in for a Dwarf (and was still taller than the 3 up Dwarf!!).

I left a few gamers in the shop/Bar at about 10pm and headed home for some sleep!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:27:10 am by timmaaa » Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 11:47:34 am »

Day 2 – Sunday

Game 4 – Chris Prince (Elves) – KILL!

So Sunday morning saw me paired with Chris Prince and his Elves.  Chris has a lord on Dragon, a Standard Bearer, 2 Regiments of Knights, a Horde of Spearmen (with Crushing strength 1 I think), a troop of Palace Guard, a bolt thrower, 3 single Drakken Riders and 3 troops of Bowmen.

Ok so this game my Heavy Mortars were on form!  Pretty much every time I wanted to hit a Drakken Rider they got it.  I wavered a unit of knights early on which meant Chris could only charge my Horde of Decimators with the other unit of Knights and the lord on Dragon.  The Decimators held which proved the turning point of the match.

Mr Choppy flanked the knights with the Decimators in the front, resulting in a rout and a unit of immortal guard charged the Dragon in its flank wavering it.

The other Immortal unit was beating up bowman (which had been on fire throughout the game) with Chris’s Spear Horde stuck in the back field.  When Chris finally got the Spearmen into a flank charge of the Immortals who destroyed the Dragon they then got 2 turns of the Horde Decimators firing at full power.  A great game and a big win to me!

Game 5 – Craig Johnson (Elves) – PILLAGE!

So Elves again, and 20 units of Elves no less from Craig!  Craig went for the MSU (Multiple Small Unit) approach which saw him field something like…

6 Troops of Bowmen, 2 Regiments of Spearmen, a troop of Cavalry, a troop of Drakken riders, 3 single Drakken riders, a bolt thrower, a dragon’s breath, three standard bearers and a couple of units of scouts.

Was a little worried about the amount of shooting from Craig although the dice weren’t as kind to him as they were for Chris Prince.  In fact I don’t think his Bolt thrower hit till turn 4!!

On my Right flank there was an interesting dance between the Dragon’s Breath and the Decimator Horde.  My ability to move and fire won that contest as I could step back and pick on the units thrown in front until the time was right to take on the warmachine.

I had a very lucky turn where Craig flew 2 single Drakken Riders forward and I managed to drop a heavy mortar on  each!  Craig managed to flank the Decimator horde with the Drakken Rider Troop before using them to contest one of my objectives.

Mr Choppy ended up contesting an objective in Craig’s deployment zone on Turn 7.

A very close game which I thought I had lost until Josh walked by a reminded me the winner has to hold at least 2 more objectives than his opponent and as it finished 3-2 to Craig a very hard (if lucky) draw for me!

Result: Draw (just!)

Game 6 – The EVIL SPANIARD! (Kingdom of Men) – KILL and PILLAGE!

Well Alberto, the man with biggest smile… and the most cannons.

Not a lot to say, I ran across the board, he shot me (a lot) a unit of Immortal Guard got over as did the Greater Obsidian Golem (Alberto Double 1’d him on turn 5) so Mr Choppy got to eat a cannon before succumbing to the relentless artillery barrage. 

Think I scored 240pts and Alberto got 2400 odd!!

Result: Loss (but not tabled…!)

The Results

So I finished 10th out of 26 and as a very part time KOW player (first time I have used Abyssal Dwarfs was game 1 Saturday!) a very happy result.

A deserved win for Josh, who is not only a good Tournament player in several systems but had a very hard army in KOW.  Congratulations to Ben Baker as although he came last I can’t think of a time over the weekend he wasn’t smiling so well played!

Was nice to see lots of Mantic models on display and hopefully I will have a fully painted list for next year!!

The Army

Really enjoyed the Abyssal Dwarf army, if a little slow, it has a lot of firepower.  Most of this might be limited to 12 inches for the Decimators but the Boots of Levitation truly rocked!

So what worked in my list…

Boots of Levitation on the Horde of Decimators!!  Nuff said really! Move and fire, 40 Breath weapon attacks and piercing 1 was the death of many enemy units over the weekend.  There is nothing more satisfying than rolling handfuls of dice!!

Heavy Mortars. Ok very hit and miss (pun intended) and more than once rolled a one to wound over the weekend however when they did hit… Oh boy did I chuckle!! Probably got me the draw vs Craig and the win vs Chris Prince.  Definitely keeping these in!!

What struggled over the weekend…

Greater Obsidian Golem (or Mr. Choppy as he became known) Shambling with Movement 4 was a real drag for this beast.  No breath weapon either.   Still when he got into combat he quite rightly chomped on most things. However the lack of speed would make me re-consider having him in my list in future.

Overmaster. Got into combat a few times but I can’t help think another standard bearer and save 100 points might be better?

Thoughts for the future…

Half breeds might make an appearance and although Mr Choppy might be slow he isn’t going to get replaced anytime soon!

Finally from me as the Event Organiser

A big thank you to everyone who took part, fantastic spirit and enthusiasm from every one over the weekend made my job very easy and made the Event a true success.  A few rules queries but that was expected and generally good time keeping!!

I hope to see you all soon at the next Mantic Event

Tim King
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:55:13 am by timmaaa » Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 12:04:26 pm »

Thanks for all your organisation Tim, it was a great weekend.

"Martyn Chates Giant"
!

That's my giant! Martyn and Jon were both using my armies Smiley

EDIT: This might have been better here but here's a thought for the future: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,620.msg5163.html#msg5163
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 06:00:40 pm »

Pictures from the weekend
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 08:38:20 pm by mattjgilbert » Report Spam   Logged
mattl
M

Mantic Points: +8/-1

Mantic Pathfinder (New England)

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 08:18:45 pm »

same photos on imgur

http://imgur.com/a/Ewheb
Report Spam   Logged
Buffirn
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

Current Army: Dwarf, Kingdoms of Man(Brettonians), and coming soon....UNDEAD

Indecision is the key to airpower.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »

Well, you all certainly seemed to have a good time.  Too bad for us not in England.  I can't tell you how jealous I am.

Any chance the tournament rules will become public or were they the standard rules?

Also, any chance of the army lists being posted?  I don't know if you have them, but I always enjoy dissecting other lists.

I guess I need to figure out how to do something like this here in the states.  Hmmm, there are some options.

Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 08:46:45 pm »

Standard tournament rules with 1750 point armies.

The only thing different was that we were playtesting rule and army list tweaks.
Report Spam   Logged
mattl
M

Mantic Points: +8/-1

Mantic Pathfinder (New England)

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:50 pm »

I'll be going to one or more days of http://east.paxsite.com/ -- and taking all my KoW stuff one day and my Warpath stuff another day.
Report Spam   Logged
Cryhavoc101
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

Failed Narcissist

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 05:01:46 pm »

I would like to thank Sharad Vora for being a great sport and having some really rubbish nerve rolls  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"Because War...War Never Changes"
Jonathan Faulkes
M

Mantic Points: +8/-0

Painting Dwarfs and Orcs

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 05:42:28 pm »

Yeah, thanks for that.  We'll be reliving that episode for months..  " did you see how many wounds I put on that dragon?". Yes Sharad..  We were there!

Your storm wind cav running away with dozens of wounds was quite funny though
Report Spam   Logged
Cryhavoc101
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

Failed Narcissist

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »

Your storm wind cav running away with dozens of wounds was quite funny though

I think it was 19 wounds LOL (their nerve is 14/16) and the double 1 he rolled for the subsequant nerve test won me the game  Cheesy
Report Spam   Logged

"Because War...War Never Changes"
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: