Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 07:30:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Kings of War Invitational 2012 - Timmaaa's tale

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Kings of War Invitational 2012 - Timmaaa's tale  (Read 3243 times)
timmaaa
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2012, 01:01:41 pm »

Greetings everyone!

Tim King here -  Kings of War Invitational 2012 Event Organiser and Mantic Minion (read: Work experience!) - just thought I would start a thread as this weekend we have the 2nd Kings of War Invitational run by Mantic and again held at Maelstrom Games, Mansfield.

I will be posting in this thread useful bits of info like round results and draws so that everyone can see how the players are getting along and join in the fun of the Event.

I will also be using it to log my build up, gaming at, and fall out after the Invitational - so be prepaired - it may get a little crazy!

So why the Invitational?

The purpose of this tournament, like last year, is to playtest some of the alterations Alessio will be making for the big Kings of War rulebook – these playtest rules were sent out on the 28th January, so the players have had a couple of weeks to get to grips with the changes (like Magical Artifacts!).

Venue:

Eye of the Storm, Maelstrom Games, Mansfield UK  http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/

For the second year Mantic are running the Kings of War Invitational at the UK’s Premier independent Gaming Venue - Maelstrom Games: “The Eye of the Storm”. 

As well as being the location of Maelstrom Game’s Warehouse and ‘bricks and mortar’ Shop it also boasts an impressive gaming hall with enough 6 by 4 foot tables for 120 gamers, each fully laden with lovely terrain.

Down stairs there is a fully licenced bar open from early till late where you can hang out and discuss the Hobby.

And not forgetting the newly installed Kitchen that now provides a Bar Menu as well as catering for the Events held within the Venue.

So what else can you expect from the weekend…?

Apart from the 6 games of Kings of War that is!!

Well we have Alessio! Creator and all-knowing entity of the Kings of War Universe.  As with the Invitational last year we will be having Q&A sessions after each round where the gamer can raise any issue they have with the Ruleset with the aim to improving the game for everyone involved in Kings of War!!

We also have some plans for the evening but will leave that for my next post...

Any questions post here and I will answer as best I can!

Tim King
KOW Invitational Event Organiser and Mantic Minion
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:04:25 pm by timmaaa » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »

So.... Saturday night! My favourite part of a wargaming weekend where you can kick back with a cold one and talk toy soldiers with like minded people! We have a few things planned...

I will be running a small ish pub quiz for teams of 3-6 players.  There is the Warhammer Ancients GT running at the same time so they should be about to bulk up numbers.

Also for those attending the Kings of War Event (but also an open invitation to anyone around Maelstrom on Saturday 18th February) we will be running demo’s of Mantic's board games.  Jake Thornton will be coming down to personally oversee the games, answer questions and show off his beautiful creations.

This will include the first public demo games of Project Pandora:

Project Pandora is Mantic's first Sci-fi board game and will reveal the fourth Warpath Race battling the newly released Corporation (HERE)in a deadline confrontation.

Dwarf Kings Hold will also be on show for anyone who hasn't had a chance to play it yet.

http://www.manticgames.com/Shop-Home/Dwarf-Kings-Hold.html

Some of Mantic's Pathfinders will also be about to demo Kings of War and Warpath to anyone who is interested.

So if you fancy a casual night of board games and beer* why not get down to Maelstrom's Eye of the Storm on Saturday 18th Feb!!

* other beverages are available!  :Cool
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:10:43 pm by timmaaa » Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 01:05:04 pm »

So I think that is about it regarding Generally Event admin for the mo!

What am I going to be taking?   Grin

Well last year I got the Dwarf Army deal and I have played stunties a fair bit in the past but with the aim of this event being to try out as many races and combinations I decided to go Evil and field an Abyssal Dwarf Army!!

The main reason being I expected there to be a few Dwarf armies in attendance (at least more than the Abyssal kind) but also I fancied doing something a little different (not very different granted!).

I got all the pieces 2 weeks ago when I was last down at Mantic HQ and have been busy assembling and basing everything.  Currently everything is undercoated with 30 Decimators plus Lord and Iron Caster base coated.  My plan is to have each unit stuck to it's own movement tray with a little gap at the back for a stat guide and wound marker.

Some of you may have seen the pic I posted on the Mantic Fanatics Facebook page – 60 Decimators in 2 days almost made my eyes bleed but I got it all done.

And the guys walking around Mantic HQ have been chuckling at my Greater Obsidian Golem - no idea if it will ever see Combat but it sure looks mean!!

So onto the list…  well not having played the Abyssal Dwarfs I decided to go for an all round list but with an under lying theme of “IT’S GOTTA GO BOOOOOM!!!”

1750pts – Abyssal Dwarfs – Tim King

Overmaster
Iron Caster
Army Standard Bearer

Greater Obsidian Golem
Troop of Lesser Obsidian Golems

2 x Regiments of Immortal Guard inc. Standard & Musician

1 x Horde of Decimators inc. Standard & Musician
3 x Troops of Decimators

4 x Angkor Heavy Mortars

So all that comes to 1715pts which leaves me just enough to buy some Magical Artifacts! 

The Magical Artifacts are a new addition to the rules allowing the players to add items to units and characters to allow a little customization. My first Magical artifact was a no brainer really – Boots of Levitation on the Decimator Horde!  Basically this item allows the unit to advance and fire as if it was halted meaning my Reload! Thunder pipes are now move and fire!! BOOM BOOM!   Grin

My second one was really the best of what I could afford and I gave my Iron Caster the Talisman of Inspiration so that he now had the inspiring rule.  Probably not all that useful as he will be away with the artillery but you never know!

So pretty happy with the balance of the list, a bit of everything and hopefully will let me provide some feedback to Alessio on the Evil midgets!

So what is everyone else taking…?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 01:40:59 pm by timmaaa » Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 02:56:49 pm »

I'll be taking undead, and you have more units than I do! My mate Martyn, a last minute attendee, will be taking Orcs.
Report Spam   Logged
Jonathan Faulkes
M

Mantic Points: +8/-0

Painting Dwarfs and Orcs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 04:49:22 pm »

Since we are sharing.  Here's my list for the tournament..  Hoping for the wooden spoon!

2 bulwarkers regiments : 250
2 shield breaker regiments with one command : 225
1 iron watch regiment with rifles : 145 + boots of levitation (25)
2 berserker half-regiments : 180.
1 ranger troop : 95
2 ironwatch troop with rifles : 170
5 iron belcher cannons : 375
War smith : 50
2 army standard bearers : 60 + diadem of dragon breath (40)
Dwarf lord : 130 + blade of slashing(5)
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:27:51 pm »

Ooh, magic items it is then.

Cool, I like the D&D kinda-naming they've got.  Grin

Interesting that you can give them to units, too! This will add a great bit of flavour to KoW.

Also, welcome to the forum, Tim! Have a pony!

« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 05:32:00 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 09:45:12 pm »

Magical Artefacts Smiley

Here's my army:

Revenant Regiment + command: 135
Skeleton Horde + spears + command: 185
Skeleton Horde + spears + command: 185
Zombie Horde + command: 195
Werewolves Regiment + Brew of Sharpness: 335
Revenant Cavalry Regiment + command + Blade of Slashing: 185
Soul Reavers Troop + Wine of Elvenkind: 220
Ghoul Troop: 45
Ghoul Troop: 45
Balefire Catapult: 65
Undead Army Standard Bearer: 25

1750 on the nose.
Spot the obvious omission(s)!
Report Spam   Logged
Buffirn
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

Current Army: Dwarf, Kingdoms of Man(Brettonians), and coming soon....UNDEAD

Indecision is the key to airpower.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2012, 01:42:27 am »

What?  No supreme leader?  Who will be there to claim all the glory?
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 03:19:40 am »

No dograts?

I love how it seems like one of the categories/types is "magic booze"
Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 08:21:34 am »

Ooh, magic items it is then.

Cool, I like the D&D kinda-naming they've got.  Grin

Interesting that you can give them to units, too! This will add a great bit of flavour to KoW.

Yeah I quite like them, basically there are 28 Artifacts and each may be taken once per army. They range in price from the 5pt Blade of slashing to the 50pt Medallion of life.

War Engines, Monsters and Living Leg-ends (the ones with [1]) can't take them but units and Hero units can.

I can see some taken more than others so maybe a little balance will need to be tinkered with but on the whole a good thing!

Also, welcome to the forum, Tim! Have a pony!

Thanks scarletsquig! It's so  FLUFFY!!   Cheesy

I love how it seems like one of the categories/types is "magic booze"

Well booze always makes me feel kind of special...   Grin
Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 09:44:25 am »

Ok I sent a quick email to everyone this morning who is going to the Event.

Main points for anyone who hasn't got the email (let me know!) is can I have your Army choices so I can do the first round draw and can everyone remember to bring a timer with them!!

Also for everyone else I have set up a Twitter hash tag for the event:

#ManticKOWinvitational

If you like following Tweets I am @King_timmaaa and I will be using it over the weekend in addition to what I get up on here!
Report Spam   Logged
Sneaky Chris
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 10:56:48 am »

Just spent the morning writing out the 2 lists Im brining. One for me and one for my friend. I have come to the conclusion that I need to build more mini's!!!!!!

I (Chris Nicholls) will be bringing my undead..... Very much unpainted......Boooooo!!!!
Chris Parslow will be running with my Dwarfs....... Very much painted......Boooooo!!!!!

Looking forward to the Pandora Project games, and the pub quiz. Also a big fan of ancients, so just an epic weekend!!!!!!!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 11:23:26 am »

can everyone remember to bring a timer with them!!
What sort of timer? Will my phone do?
What?  No supreme leader?  Who will be there to claim all the glory?
The only "hero" is the ASB!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 11:25:01 am by mattjgilbert » Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 11:28:21 am »

Yeah anything from a digital watch to a mobile phone will do.  Sure there must be a Chess Clock App...

Trying to source some swanky digital chess clocks...   

Not sure how many we would sell in this colour scheme tho... Scarletsquig??  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
timmaaa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 11:38:19 am »

Just downloaded an App onto my iPad called Chess Clock Pro Free and showed it to the guys in the Mantic Sales Office and we all think it's pretty cool.

Free to download, loads of different timings, 5 custom pre-sets (so I have called one "kings of War" and set it at 1hr 15m per player), you can pause, track turns and have it face to face or side by side!!

So if anyone has an iPhone/Pad it's called Chess Clock Pro Free in the App store!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: