Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 04:04:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hello from the Isle of Wight

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from the Isle of Wight  (Read 489 times)
Nightsdawn
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: January 17, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »

Hi Folks,

I played mainly warhammer in high school during the 90's and had marines, some orks and eldar. Then work, beer and girls happened and now im sat here married, with a child on the way contemplating a return to the hobby with a mate.

We visited some friends just before xmas and after seeing his wonderfully painted miniatures the urge to paint was re-ignited in me and next day I hauled my painting box out of the shed to paint something, only to find no brushes or miniatures just a collection of paints and ink that were still in good shape, surprisingly!
So a quick stroll into town later and i have more paint, brushes and a pack of 5 imperial guard cadians to paint. After I posted to friends on G+ about it one came back and said he was thinking about starting to paint again too or even play. He had an old W40k box set with marines and dark eldar that was purchased on a whim 3-4 years ago and never even got painted or assembled at the time.

Well after ONE game of 40k where 20 Dark Eldar were lost to 10 marines and even las cannons bounced of regular marines armour we decided it was a stupid game and gave up.

Fortunately I was in the xmas spending spirit and my friend with the painting skills had mentioned some company that began with an M that made nice miniatures but couldnt remember its name. After some googling i found Mantic and the xmas sale where I decided the Mantic mystery bag looked like a good buy even just for something to paint and talked my 40k friend into getting one after i showed him my bag and its bounteous contents.

So here I am a Mantic newbie trying to cobble together an army out of a mystery bag while an ever expanding wife tut's at me for "pixie fiddling" and asking if the paints kid safe because there fate is most likely to be chewed to death in a year or so Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2012, 03:36:15 pm »

Welcome aboard - I'm glad you found us. You've got back into the hobby at a great time with Mantic.

I'm just getting my kids into gaming... via Heroquest and Lego Herorica. I'll move on to tabletop gaming later (although both being girls I might face a different kind of battle to keep their interest!)

My wife puts up with me and I even managed to get her into playing bloodbowl and warhammer quest for a couple of years so don't give up!

Mantic has given me the kind of buzz I had back when I started playing (1987ish) which I'd lost with GW. I hope you feel the same.

What are you looking to play?
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 03:37:10 pm »

EDIT: I'm in Worthing BTW so depending on which side of the IoW you are on I might be able to see you Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Nightsdawn
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 03:48:51 pm »

Hi there, I have taken up with the elves as i had the most of those in my bag while my friends has gone with the undead  as he had the most of those in his bag and we have swapped undead for elves with each other to bulk up our armies. We decided to aim for 500 points ish to start with as neither of us want to spend too much in case this all falls by the wayside in 6 weeks time, we do tend to have fads where one of us will drag the other into a new hobby for a few months and then it dies a death Sad

Ill post in the Elves forum more info on what i have etc.

Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 04:01:02 pm »

Welcome to the Fanatics, Nightsdawn.

My fiancee collects the Elves - though I paint them - and I can heartily recommend the Drakon Riders. Beautiful models and really nice to paint.

So glad you got back into the hobby and I'm pretty sure the mash of easy FREE rules, great models and open welcoming community will ensure this is no fad.

All the best - JP
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 04:11:46 pm »

I've got a couple of the Elf sprues but already have a sizeable HE army from GW and whereas my Orcs and Undead look fine mixed in with the Mantic ones, the Elves are too different I think. I might give them a go though...

..although I'm tempted to start Abyssal Dwarfs Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2012, 05:24:49 pm »

Welcome to our group!  It's always nice to see someone return to gaming.

Although, living on the Isle of Wight, how could you pass up playing undead? Smiley  Glad to have you here.  It's a friendly enough place, and you should be able to get some useful info from time to time.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2012, 05:34:10 pm »

Welcome to the Fanatics mate Smiley It is pretty chilled on here so enjoy!
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
Vermintrude
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2012, 06:16:45 pm »

Welcome to the Fanatics...

I have just returned to the world of fantasy wargames myself.  I used to play Warhammer in the 80's.  When I first decided to re-start the hobby I nearly gave up after looking at the current GW rules, etc, and then I found Mantic and 'Kings of War'. 

I have started with Elves.  They are easy and quick to paint, especially if you use "Army Painter". 

The only down side is because this is a new game/company, trying to establish itself in a market that has been dominated by GW for many years, finding opponents is difficult.  I am just across the water from you (Southampton/Portsmouth) and so far I have found nothing locally.  Hopefully this will change as time goes by!

So for now I am trying to get the family interested, but thus far the only interest is from my 18 month old daughter.  My son is nearly 7 but is still not showing any sign of wanting to play.  My wife thinks it all looks like "Pixie fiddling" but will no doubt play the occasional game out of pity.
Report Spam   Logged
Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 08:11:56 pm »

Hi, welcome to the forums.
I just wanted to say, I enjoyed your story of how you found this place and got back into gaming.

I've always found that taking things slowly(in terms of purchasing) really helps me stay engaged in the hobby. As does just taking your time with the whole thing. It's actually not that hard to create a campaign between two people once the two of you feel confident in the game a bit.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: