Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 12:15:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Playing around with alternating activations

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Playing around with alternating activations  (Read 467 times)
war_grub
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2012, 04:22:56 am »

Hi all,

I've been playing around with the game rules to see how KoW would work with alternating activations. My rules work as follows:

Initiative phase

At the start of each gaming turn both players roll one dice. THe highest score gets to activate first. Re-roll for ties.

Activation Phase

Each player activates 3 activation points (AP) of units at a time, so one player will activate 3 points of units, and then the next player. Units cost 1 AP each to activate with the following exceptions:
* Horde units cost 2AP to activate
* Units that cost 300 points or more take 2AP to activate

If a player has activated their last unit in a given game turn, then their oponent may activate any remaining units in their subsequent activation.

Once a player has activated their 3AP of units they move all activated units and then shoot/attack with all activated units.

Other Rules Changes

The following rules changes apply.

Units can only shoot at, or cast offensive magic, at a unit that has not been in combat during the game turn.

Units can only cast supporting mgic (heal or dark surge) on another activated unit.

A unit that has been charged and has not been activated may only make the following choices in their movement phase:
1. charge one of the units that has charged them.
2. Change facing.

Nerve tests happen in the end phase of the turn, aftern all models have been activated and played. The player who lost the initiative may roll first. Nerve tests are taken on any unit that was injured in the gaming turn, even if those injuries were healed.

Units who defeat enemies get no movement benefits, however for each enemy destroyed a player may add one to their  dice roll in the subsequent initiative phase. (i.e. a player who destoy's 4 enemy units get +4 when rolling for initiative)

Thoughts

So they probably aren't the best written rules out there, and I've only play tested them once. The idea is that each player can activate three units a turn, and nerve tests are made after the turn is complete. I'd recommend that players use some king of marker to show if a unit has already been activated, as well as if a unit was injured during the turn, as it can get confusing.

I've only play tested one game, but I think it definately adds a lot  of really interesting tactical decisions. You can set up some very clever counter charges, and you need to think very carefully about how a unit will be supported to protect their flanks on a charge. Every activation phase has to be carefully thought through, and you can never do everything you want in a phase. I'm definately going to be playing a few more games to try this out but so far I think KoW is really quite easily adapted to alternative activation and it makes for a more strategic and challenging game.

If you get a chance to try it out let me know how you go. My appologies in avance for the poor quality of writing when it comes to rules.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Estarriol
Ma

Mantic Points: +1/-1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 05:43:51 am »

ever since I played Void way back in the day I've liked the idea for alternative activation games, and I can't tell you how much I cursed KoW for not going for it and breaking the IGOUGO mould.

I'm just worried about two things. Table clutter with the extra markers, and adding time to the game. In your playtest did things take much longer?

Also, some thoughts.
1) army initiative. A straight dice off is a bit mean when shambling undead have just as much chance to hold initiative as dashing and valiant elveses. Perhaps it should be D6+x (x = army initiative value, for example Elvseses 3, Humans 2, Undead 1?)
2) Just wondered why you went for upto three units a turn rather than just one per turn? IMO until you get into combat there's not much point activating more than one unit as it makes it much easier for you to counter your enemy's manouvers if you can move all your troops last.
Report Spam   Logged
frogimus
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 11:39:03 am »

Never did like the IGoUGo.  Always bored me waiting for the other player to finish.  I sort of like the random activations of the card system in Reaper's Warlord.
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 12:01:16 pm »

After playing lots of Brushfire and Relics recently, Lucy and I have tried alternate activation in KOW and really enjoyed it. It gave the game a real ebb and flow of warfare, with units being able to counter the oppositions tactics (or ignore them) each phase rather than "My ARMY has done this" "Well, my ARMY is doing this"

We found it made the game faster as well, though I'm not sure why.

For working out initiative we used a simple roll: D6 PLUS:

3: Elves, Twilight Kin - REASON: fast, well disciplined
2: Kingdom Of Men, Goblins, Orcs - REASON: steady, organised, possible dissension in the ranks
1: Abyssal Dwarfs, Dwarfs, Undead - REASON: slow (Dwarfs) and dead (Undead)

Players choose a unit or character to activate. If one side runs out then the other simply finishes activating all their units/characters.

All the other KOW rules remained the same - just added alternative activation. I hope this is something they consider for the 2012 rules as it adds even more tactical depth.
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:42:31 pm »

Maybe mention it Alessio as something that could be included as another optional rule (same way that chess clock play is optional).

I really like rules systems that offer multiple ways to play, for example Full Thrust has both cinematic movement and vector movement rules, the former is easier and better for small tables, the latter is more complex, but also more fluid and fun on massive tables.
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 03:00:21 pm »

I think I just accidently reported SS's post as spam!

Sorry Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:11:15 pm »

No worries.

We get that a lot with scarletsquigs posts ever since "The Pony" incursion. Roll Eyes

Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: