Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 09:18:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

My first army of 2012

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: My first army of 2012  (Read 575 times)
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« on: January 04, 2012, 09:50:24 pm »

So with the new year I normally like to start a new army. Up until now this has always been a warhammer army but with last years price increases and just generall expense of GW I have decided Mantic get to be the lucky company that recieve my hard earned cash  Tongue Plus with the sale going on I can get one of the army deals for just £90 (man I love Mantic). The only problem is I am not sure which one to go for. I have a small collection of each Mantic army and I love the look of them all. Generally background decides the army for me but KoW is a bit thin on that so I am a bit stuck. Which army deal do you think is the best deal, gives you the best options for an army or is the most practical in terms of what you would want in an army. My favorites are probably the elves or undead at the minute. The undead would be great as a cheap way to do both KoW and WFB with the new VC book. The elves look great and I generally like playing them in fantasy style games. Plus they require less stuff to paint xp
The aim is to get this army done in time for the Comp in Feb (even if I don't manage to get there, it will still be a good target) so I need to probabluy order within the next week or so.

PS. sorry if this is a bit all over the place, I have just spent 2 hours writing a professional competency portfolio and my brain is slightly dead.
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

kalarn
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 10:01:48 pm »

The Orc deal looks good to me, the gore riders especially are great models!

That and the Dwarf deal is pretty well varied. Dwarfs are fairly quick to paint too, big areas of armour.
Report Spam   Logged
Piston Honda
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:06:43 pm »

Gore riders are freaken awesome and will tear the enemy a new @$$ hole.

The sculpts for the hogs are very nice too. The hair (whatever the proper term is) has that nice wavy motion to it and love the armor plating on the head and fore legs.

The various wounds are a nice rugged touch for the orc army as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2012, 12:19:19 am »

I love my dwarves, but I think the Orcs are a great army to go with too, and the lack of the various chariots and such mean that you've got lots of room for conversions if you like.  They look good on a table, and for the Gore Riders alone, they would be worth it. Wink
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
orcsbain
M

Mantic Points: +6/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2012, 01:11:46 am »

Cant go wrong with undead, cheap, plenty of troops, compatable with most other fantasy systems and great looking.

ttfn
Report Spam   Logged

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".
Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2012, 07:21:16 am »

It's really hard to say.
I think that each army appeals to different people.
Obviously I'd narrow it down to the armies I like the aesthetic of most.

Then I'd look into the play styles of those armies, as personally I don't want to collect an army of vast amounts of infantry only to find out I want an elite army with access to lots of shooting.

What kind of play style are you looking for?
Report Spam   Logged
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 07:12:24 pm »

Cheers for the replies guys. Thats a lot of love for the orcs. I do love the models but I was working out some army lists and it is going to cost a fair bit more than I have set aside to make a 1500 point army so I don't think I will go with them (although I reckon in a few months I might have a go). As for the elves I do really like them and they are on a really good sale atm but I always tend to go for elves and I think it may be time for a change of play styles. Plus I want to wait for the TK to come out so I can see what is released for them as I like the look of some of their unique entries (buccaneers and blade- dancers especially). The undead is really tempting what with the new VC army book being released and the insane bargains Mantic offer. I like the magic aspect of it and I would be able to add in a lot of my Tomb King stuff. The idea of painting a bucket load of models is slightly daunting though (but would be a great time to try out army painter). Dwarfs are a really cool looking army and have my favorite unit in terms of models (beserkers). The army deal looks to be pretty good but doesn't containt beserkers BUT I have notice that for the same price there is an event army deal that has 10 of them. This does make the army really appealing. I have a small 600 point dwarf army at the minute and I do like playing with them although the warmachines aren't that great. What I would love to know is how the undead and dwarfs play at larger points limit. So far I have used both at 600 points but not any higher, so what are they like around the 1500 points region. Undead wise I would be looking to use mummies and the cursed pharaoh backed up with skeletons, revs with minimal ghouls and zombies. Thought of using my liche priests and liche kings to keep in with the feel of the force. As for dwarfs I would ideally want a beserker heavyish list eventually for when brock riders are released.

As an extra complication though, I have also been taken by a kingdoms of men army list using GW's Harad models. I was flicking through one of the old journals and saw a story on the liche king in the desert so I thought about making human army that worshiped this liche king. They would be more evil, practacing the dark magic of their Lord and worshipping him in dark rituals. Annoyingly this would be pretty epensive but I think it would look awesome! Using the normal harad warriors as spearmen and archers, the riders as mounted scouts and sergeants and morgul knights as knights, the corsair models would be my malitia and the half trolls could be used as ogres. I also thought about using the morghol foot knights as foot guard. Annoyingly this would be rather expensive so I probably won't do it at the moment but I wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the idea.
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
Clan Truehammer
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 06:51:05 pm »

I like your kingdom of men idea.. to save money you could try some historical ranges.  I think these berber troops might fit the bill.

http://www.miniaturedesignstudio.co.uk/berber-spearmen-304-c.asp

Was thinking of using these myself as an evil human kingdom to go against my Greek themed human forces of good. 

Wargames Factory makes some persian soldiers that could fill in back ranks of units pretty nicely.  and they have cheap cav as well.  They are going supper cheap at the moment. 12 troops for $2.40

http://wargamesfactory.com/webstore/individual-sprues-and-bases/s041-persian-infantry

I purchased some and they are'nt half bad.  not quite mantic in quality but for 20 cents a piece I can deal.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: