Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 07:12:18 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Your 2011 Mantic Highs and Lows.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Your 2011 Mantic Highs and Lows.  (Read 2296 times)
Maccwar
M

Mantic Points: +11/-0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2012, 11:00:21 am »

High: Getting to play at the Mantic invitational and meet fellow fanatics.

Low: Realising that the new army lists for KoW had not had enough play testing prior to publication.
Report Spam   Logged
kairob
M

Current Army: Undead (partially painted), humans (unpainted)

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2012, 11:12:13 am »

This is getting out of hand. Now there are two of them.
Report Spam   Logged

Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2012, 06:15:17 pm »

What do you mean this is getting out of hand?
What is?
Report Spam   Logged
Maccwar
M

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2012, 07:48:14 pm »

The ponies! Make them stop!  Cry
Report Spam   Logged
Buffirn
M

Current Army: Dwarf, Kingdoms of Man(Brettonians), and coming soon....UNDEAD

Indecision is the key to airpower.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »

Aren't the ponies the Eighth Race?
Report Spam   Logged
Buffirn
M

Current Army: Dwarf, Kingdoms of Man(Brettonians), and coming soon....UNDEAD

Indecision is the key to airpower.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2012, 08:08:05 pm »

Highs:
    Finding KOW and Mantic.
    FREE RULES!!
    Fun games!
    Great Community
Lows:
    Complaints about FREE RULES!
    Realizing how many more miniatures I have to buy and paint.
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2012, 08:22:20 pm »

What do you mean this is getting out of hand?
What is?

I think what he's trying to say is... out of hoofCheesy

Aren't the ponies the Eighth Race?

Yes, this has been confirmed by Mantic. We know for a fact from an official statement on the blog that a MLP board game is being released next year, and that a board game featuring the 8th race will be released next year. Therefore 8th race == Ponies. QED.

Anyway...

Highs: EVERYTHING! Especially going to the Open Day, that was fun! The Orcs and the Abyssal Dwarves were great releases, and I think Warpath got off to a fair start, especially with the forgefathers which are fantastic looking models. Loads of Orcy videos, more army lists released than I could keep up with, dwarf king's hold (which was first released early 2011).. there has been so much this year!

Lows: Nothing other than minor niggles, really. That, and internet trolls. >_>
« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 08:49:09 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2012, 08:32:48 pm »

The ponies! Make them stop!  Cry

Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
jackel
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

Current Army: Kingdom of Anhur (human) / Iron Seafort (dwarfs)

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 04:08:16 am »

Highs: finding KOW and WP and be relieved that I don't have to shelf the Battlemaster figs I have been hanging to to for years away, because I can't afford a $75 rulebook. The fact that I played 1 time by myself then a few days later when I 'demoed ' the game to my 13 yearold (14 next week) I remembered most of the rules!  The release of the Corporation pic. Models look great. The thought that I could help shape KOW and WP.

Lows: Corporation models just released as army packs. No human nodels for KOW yet.

Real low: Once again reliesing that the only seeming way I'll get new minis is to work for a company and get paid in minis.

So here's to a new year where maybe I get to play and paint more minis.
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 04:39:46 pm »

Highs: 
Getting to work the booth and demo at Gen Con for Mantic.  That was tiring, but just plain fun.
The DKH games were excellent.  Fun throwbacks to the glory days of fantasy gaming.
The Warpath models are lovely and actually make me interested in buying sci-fi models.
The orcs. (Even with my head complaints, by and large they are wonderful models and a great addition.)
New expanded army lists.

Lows:
New expanded army lists weren't always tested very thoroughly.
Revisions to the KoW ruleset introduced some elements that reduce the fun of KoW for me, while not really resolving problems they were trying to fix.  (Artillery and 'locking' in combat, I'm looking at you.)
The slower pace of Fantasy releases as the year wore on.
The Warpath game isn't nearly as slick, as elegant or as "fit to purpose" as KoW.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Bert
M

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 09:37:33 pm »

What really?
You think warpath is less slick? I think it's better. What is it you don't like?
Personally I have one house rule, and that is that you roll one dice for nerve, but other than that I find the game is pretty great at 500pts.
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2012, 12:17:37 am »

Well, it's a mish-mash.  You've got rules that were primarily designed for a ranked-unit game being applied to a skirmish game.  However, skirmish games work best for low model counts.

Mantic's avowed purpose is huge battles.  So they did a few things to speed the game up.  Like, for instance, you draw LOS from the commander for determining if you can shoot a unit.  And you measure closest to closest to figure out range.  And if the leader has LOS, the whole unit shoots.  Nice...simple.

But then they mucked it up.  Because to determine cover saves, you have to draw LOS from models.  If over half a unit can see over half a target unit, then you have a clear shot.  This isn't bad if it's 5 models on 5 models in terrain.  But make it a good, cover-riddled battlefield and then have your platoon shoot their platoon.  You need to draw at least 101 sightlines to claim a coverless shot.  (If I'm your opponent in a timed game, I'm always taking the highest possible cover penalty, and then challenging you to show me each sight line for every shot you take.  The rules were supposed to *avoid* these sorts of issues for tournaments.)

But all BFG's do their shooting on their own...and you'll have to keep track of them within the unit.  When it's 1 in a unit, not a problem, but when you start having multiples it gets a bit hairy.

And then, when it comes to moving, you have to measure movement for each individual model.  This slows the game down yet again.

At present, the rules for how to resolve a charge and how to regroup (and the whole issue with 'locked in combat') are very kludgy.   The vehicle rules on movement felt just a bit "un" when we've tried it.  We couldn't exactly put our finger on it, but they didn't feel right -- or maybe they didn't feel like they were tactically interesting enough?

Warpath is playable...even very playable...at low model counts and small unit sizes.  It can't help but crumble at higher ones.

If I demo the game, I'm going to demo small games and push it as a great system for relatively small conflicts with a number of discreet units, but the larger units are unwieldy at best.  I can see throwing a vehicle or two, a hero or two and 25-40 models.  That's a decent sized game.  But it certainly doesn't feel like the "massive battles" that I can easily play in KoW, and it doesn't feel like a game driven by the guy behind Apocalypse. 

But if we want to debate Warpath more (which I'd be happy to do), we should probably start another thread and let this one be what it is.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2012, 12:37:51 am »

^ Yeah, was disappointing that the cover determination rule didn't change.

All that is really needed is to change:

look at it from behind the heads of the firing unit’s models.

to

Determine line of sight to the enemy unit from the firing unit's leader as per the standard LoS rules

They have a great quick system in place for just using the leader for everything to simplify matters. This idea needs to be extended, quite possibly ditching the separate BFGs rules for the sake of streamlining... even 40k doesn't indulge in that much individualism. "Leader for everything" would be so much easier.
Report Spam   Logged
Capt.Camping
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2012, 05:33:19 pm »

Highs:

-Free rules
-Simplified rules for faster gaming
-Cheap models
-Fantasy and scifi, yahoo!
-Can playtest using my GW models

Lows:

-Some models are not good
-Trying to find people to play in my community is impossible thanks to GW brainwash
-Lack of variety (I know the company is new, but many players dont care)
-Simplified rules for faster gaming (players in my community dont like Warpath for being simple, but 1,500 pts of 40k games takes like 3 hours and sometimes we dont finish thanks to the complex rules)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:42:32 pm by Capt.Camping » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: