Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 09:42:20 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Your 2011 Mantic Highs and Lows.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Your 2011 Mantic Highs and Lows.  (Read 2293 times)
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2011, 08:42:34 pm »

For me, the high point of Mantics year was finally seeing the Orcs released this summer. I'd been waiting not so patiently for them since we first were shown the wip back in April 2010. I'd say the restic Gore riders were outstanding in that release.

Also high on my list would be the new Wraith sculpts and their switch from metal to restic.

Low points... Well the biggest disappointment for me was the Warpath release. Neither the Marauders nor the ForgeFathers strongly appealed to me, although there were a few sculpts that stood out like the Hero's and the Warmachines. Stylistically the initial two races didn't appeal to me as scifi races.

Looking toward 2012 my postition is reversed. I have much more hope for Warpath than I do for KoW next year.

The unveil of The Corporation minis show them to be some of Mantics best mini's yet. Their release, plus that of the mysterious 8th race, has me quite excited about the potential for Warpath in 2012.

Unfortunately we have very little to go on for KoW releases for next year. The hardcover rulebook will hopefully be a highpoint, but for model releases the news and rumours so far is looking pretty slim, with only a 10-man box of metal goblin spearman announced as well as the underpromoted and release delayed Twilight Kin. Very dissapointing that we have no news or rumours of a completely new Fantasy army for 2012.

Sorry, but 1 unit of goblins does not an army make, nor have I ever counted an army based primarily on existing models as "new". I'm really hoping Mantic has a big fantasy surprise for us next year hiding somewhere in the dark corners of Mantic Towers.

From a hobby perspective, my high point was getting 90 Mantic Elves painted early in the year. Grin

My Low point was that is all I managed to paint during the year. Embarrassed

Looking forward to what Mantic does in 2012.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2011, 08:46:14 pm by Darsc Zacal » Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Jonathan Faulkes
M

Mantic Points: +8/-0

Painting Dwarfs and Orcs

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 09:24:01 pm »

Highlight:  starting painting miniatures again after 6 or 7 years away from the hobby.  The main driver was the cost; whole usable armies for £100.  Bargain!

Low lights:  didn't get the buzz from warpath that  I expected.  The game looks and plays good but...  Don't know,  just didn't feel right.

Looking forward to the release of the corporation  and hopefully a human KoW army
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2011, 10:05:39 pm »

I have several for each, but I will try to keep this brief.

THE HIGHS

#1: Actually finishing painting up not just one, but several, armies. Undead, Elves & Dwarfs all have legal, fully gameable armies. The Undead and Elves total 1500 points each, whereas the Dwarfs come in at just under 500.
#2: Becoming part of the rising community of Mantic supporters and seeing that support grow and strengthen a little more each month. There's a lot of naysayers out there, those who are entrenched in their own little niche and can't stand to see anyone (be they another gamer, group or company) encroach on their perceived skewed view of 'the hobby'. I haven't seen any evidence of that within the Mantic group. Yet... Wink
#3: Expanding my writing into the worlds of Mantica and its Warpathian universe. Starting out small and gradually growing with each new piece, the coming year looks to be extremely exciting (and busy). Ronnie is extremely supportive and creative in seeking new ways to do things and the last meeting we had regarding a certain project left me feeling very excited.

THE LOWS

#1: Not being able to get my Orc army started, let alone finished. Come on Mantic - get more green paint in already! Cheesy
#2: Not being able to get started with Warpath. I currently only have 5 Forgefathers, 3 Marauders and the Marauder Warlord - all unpainted, but due to time constraints, low cash-flow and various other reasons, I haven't been able to get properly behind this game. That will change in 2012 Smiley

I am looking forward to the new year - especially the KOW stuff that's coming - whatever it may bring.
Report Spam   Logged
Tellos
newb

Mantic Points: +5/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2011, 10:20:04 pm »

let's keep this going.

My Highs
- Came to know of mantic games after buying some cool zombies from my "local" shop
- Kings of war got me interested in fantasy battles, something warhammer never could
- Their simple rules brought fun back in playing
- Their simple rules got my wife playing as wel.

My Lows
- didn't get much painted, so grey & Black mini games
- I wasn't really that excited with the warpath release,
  even though my core game was warhammer 40K

The good news is my 40k orks and cadian imperial guard are
now destined to become marauders and corporation respectively.

Cheers all
Report Spam   Logged
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 01:23:10 am »

My biggest high was finding out about Mantic and getting as excited about wargamming as I did when I started playing Warhammer. The orc release was fantastic, the undead range has some of the nicest models ever and the TK sorceress is beautiful.
The low point would have to be the short break from the hobby. While it did mean I came back refreshed and ready to dive back in, it did mean I missed the Warpath release and some valuable hobby time.
Overall it was a good year though Smiley Can't wait for next year, especially TK and the Corp releases.
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
Baragash
Ma

Mantic Points: +7/-0

Current Army: KoW Undead & Dwarves

Lord of the Pit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:20:40 am »

High: discovering Mantic, particularly DKH 1&2 which I have had immense fun playing

Low: quality of testing that appears to have gone into the second release of KoW and to a lesser extent WP
Report Spam   Logged

mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 09:05:39 am »

High - getting excited about gaming again to a level I've not had since I started

Low - not having enough time to paint everything.. but that's not Mantic's fault Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Hofferber
M

Current Army: Dwarves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 10:30:15 am »

High - the good relation with the fandom and new releases.
Low - They go to fast with rules, and don't test it enought.
Report Spam   Logged

kairob
M

Mantic Points: +11/-0

Current Army: Undead (partially painted), humans (unpainted)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 11:36:57 am »

Highs - Almost everything, but especially Dwarf Kings Hold.
Lows - Being unable to break away from combat.
Report Spam   Logged

mattl
M

Mantic Points: +8/-1

Mantic Pathfinder (New England)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 10:54:09 pm »

High: my big secret project with Mantic (news next week apparently)
Lows: tidying my home office and finding all the grey plastic men I haven't painted this year
Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 11:22:36 pm »

High:  playing (and beating) my 8 year old nephew at Dwarf King's Hold!

Lows: work, moving house, rugby injuries getting in the way of any substantial painting getting done - but there is always next year (not sure if that'll be 2012 or 13 Tongue)
Report Spam   Logged
orcsbain
M

Mantic Points: +6/-0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »

Highs,
Re discovering  painting, thanks to Devlan mud and mantic minis.

Painting more in the last 3 months than i have over the last 5 years (114 minis, woo hoo).

Re discovering my inner child and the excitement that I used to have for GW.

Discovering the fan made rules for KOW that add dept and increase playability to the game.

Getting my mates into KOW.

Buying DKH 1st edition.

Lows
Still not getting my christmas bag due to postoffice.

No more mantic journal.

Buying too many minis (again)

Constantly forgetting to spend the £5 voucher that i got with DKH.

Mantic arsing up of KOW through not playtesting certian rules enough.

Lack of consistancy across some of the mantic ranges (different sculpters).

Mantic using restic instead of plastic for some basic troops.

Not starting my KOW campaign.

ttfn

Report Spam   Logged

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".
Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2012, 06:46:50 pm »

These are interesting...
I have a few, but I'm not sure how related to the game they are:

Highs:
Rediscovering my love of sci-fi wargaming that I had in 2nd ed 40k and Epic through playing warpath.

Realising I'm in for the long haul with Warpath and getting a good few people to play it.

Improving my unit painting techniques

The corporation list. It is fab.

Starting the podcast and then making the Christmas video in just a week(I've always loved that poem).

Having a gaming club run every Saturday.

Lows:
Having the gaming club I run prevent me from attending 4 weekend tournaments this year.

The fact that since I like KoW and Warhammer equally, it makes it much more difficult to convince others to play KoW with me.

Randomness of the mantic nerve system.

Owning so many GW models that I can't excuse buying as many mantic ones as I'd like.

Report Spam   Logged
mattl
M

Mantic Points: +8/-1

Mantic Pathfinder (New England)

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2012, 09:49:35 pm »

Discovering the fan made rules for KOW that add dept and increase playability to the game.

We need more fan made creations for KoW!!
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2012, 02:48:07 pm »

Highs:
Painting up my elves.  The scouts are generally regarded as the weakest of the elf line and I thoroughly enjoyed painting them.
Corporation concept art and sculpt pictures.  They look fantastic.
Rules: Dwarf Kings Hold.  A fantastic little skirmish game inside of a dungeon.  Simple rules yet complex play.
News of Pandora.  I like Dwarf Kings Hold, so I'm definitely excited about the sci-fi version.

Lows:
Rules:  I hate it when rules devalue my miniatures.  Both Warpath and Kings of War are all about huge armies where the individual trooper doesn't matter.  They are effectively element based rules like Hordes of the Things or Future War Commander but with larger elements for Kings of War and a dispersed element on multiple bases for Warpath.  You don't even have the utility of wound marking with individual miniatures via figure removal.  At this point I am strongly reconsidering expanding my elves into a playable force and have taken Fate of the Forgestar off my "to buy" list.

So I may end up being "that Dwarf Kings Hold guy" around these parts.  As for the idea of a fantasy version and I sci-fi version, there's only really one way to express how I feel about that:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2012, 06:16:20 am by Nathaniel » Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: