Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 03:37:26 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Why?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why?  (Read 849 times)
Vermintrude
« on: December 24, 2011, 11:05:16 am »

I have been spending a great deal of time going through the army lists, and planning new armies to paint up, and had a thought.  Why is it that, in just about every fantasy rule set, the humans have access to wizards that are always weaker than the elves, etc?  I get that the idea is that elves (curse their pointy ears and haughty manner!!) are an older race and thus more learned. But in most of the fantasy literature I have read the powerful wizards are human.  Even Morgoth was human.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 01:11:03 pm »

I think the idea is that elves are more able to contain raw power and continue to use it effectively.  The human wizards may be able to channel more power, but the ones that do inevitably become something inhuman.  Notice that the most powerful human wizards frequently are heading towards the heights of villainy.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
orcsbain
M

Mantic Points: +6/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 09:28:02 pm »

Could be simple math + psychology, Elves live longer so have more time to study and master the potent forces of more powerfull arcana, and more importantly the KNOW this so are less likely to rush into hasty actions.

Whereas humans have a lot shorter timespan to do this in and are more prone to "want it now" urges. Which leads to either less powerfull mages or more powerfull mages that are unhinged in someway or have great power but poor control over it.

ttfn
Report Spam   Logged

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".
neldoreth
newb

Mantic Points: +2/-0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 05:50:27 pm »

Morgoth wasn't a human! He was one of the Ainur who could change form to fool the foolish humans! Older than the elves, having lived forever, he was able to pull off many fantastic feats of magic, including creating the orcs from elven prisoners! Gandalf and all the five wizards weren't human either, rather of the Istari sent from Valar who took the form of men, but where not men themselves. Sauron was one of the Maiar, not a human at all, but like the Melkor/Morgoth he could change shape at will.

Human wizard are vain, megalomeniachal, yes... but powerful? I don't think so Smiley

n.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: