Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 07:00:46 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Hello from the Cotswolds!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello from the Cotswolds!  (Read 694 times)
Norse
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: December 22, 2011, 06:45:38 pm »

Hi all,

Been occasionally buying and painting bits for an Elf army until I can find someone to actually play. Considering using Perry War of the Roses stuff to build a Human army too.

In the past I mostly played historical miniatures wargames. I still compete at the Welsh DBA Opens at Penarth every year, but apart from that all my historical wargaming is board based these days (ASL, Lost Battles, a bunch of mini-games, GMT's excellent Carthage etc).

The only versions of Warhammer that ever interested me are 1st, 2nd and 6th editions (the latter only because it was the first really complete one with magic, skirmish, siege and campaign rules all in one place), but I've never been interested in paying through the nose just to stand still with that game. At one point I decided I was going to buy and paint a Lizardman army for 7th edition. But within weeks of me buying 60 quids worth of skinks and converting them into a veritable sea of southern tribe warriors they released a new army book and I discovered I probably wasn't going to be able to use them. Also the 7th edition got rid of all the cool bits (like skirmish games) and replaced them with pretty pictures. So gave up on that.

Hordes of the Things is cool, but is basically a two player puzzle game, just like DBA (funny that), and is too generic.

And no-one wants to play Fantasy Warlord (which is a shame).

So, for what I want, I'm basically left with Kings of War! Not that I mind all that much. Its fast, you get to play with lots of easily paintable plastics, if I want to I can have BIG diorama bases, and I can easily fiddle around with the rules (I like to tinker).

Now to find people to play...

I'm an engraver by day and games designer by night. We make niche boardgames and roleplaying games for direct sale (another way of saying we're a really tiny company). Having access to a laser engraving machine is extremely handy! I live in Dursley, Gloucestershire.

That's about it I guess.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 06:51:45 pm »

Welcome to our forum.  You sound like you'll fit in here just great.  Glad to have you. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 07:13:46 pm »

Welcome to the Fanatics. Looking forward to seeing you bring your game experience to the conversations.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
JP1138
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2011, 06:48:20 am »

Hi Norse. Welcome to the world of Mantica. Smiley

JP
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2011, 02:31:32 pm »

Welcome aboard Norse.
Report Spam   Logged
Norse
newb

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2011, 06:34:18 pm »

Cheers everyone!
Report Spam   Logged
Estarriol
Ma

Mantic Points: +1/-1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2011, 07:28:40 am »

welcome to the fanatics Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Vermintrude
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2011, 10:43:18 am »

Hello!

Hope you find this forum as useful as I have.
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 04:41:34 pm »

Welcome!  Shocked
Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
kalarn
newb

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2011, 08:30:11 pm »

Hi Norse - I'm just down the road from you (Wotton) - let me know if you fancy a game.
Report Spam   Logged
Norse
newb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2011, 09:01:45 pm »

Funky! Definitely. What do you play?
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011, 12:11:15 am »

Welcome aboard!

Please fill out the enclosed uniform order form so that we may provide a well fitting straight-jacket.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
kalarn
newb

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2011, 10:52:50 am »

Just getting back into the gaming side of things and looking mainly at Mantic's KoW and Warpath. Already had a few games of DKH which is excellent!

Looked into other systems (Fantasy, Warmahordes, FoW) but the amount of rules and technicalities made my head hurt; I want a game not another job!

Would consider Infinity though as I'd like a skirmish game, or LoTR. Warmahordes looks good but I think it would require more time than I have to really learn the game,.
Report Spam   Logged
Norse
newb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2011, 02:32:21 pm »

Well, at the moment the only fantasy type miniatures I have are suitable for Kings of War or Fantasy Warlord. And I have half a dozen armies for HoTT (it's a cheap game to play).

I do have enough Undead miniatures for a small starter game of Kings of War if you want to give it a try. Also if you look in the rules section of the forum I have a set of skirmish rules modifications for KoW that could do with more playtesting. Nice and quick, I have enough models for a number of warbands and all the terrain and stuff.

I'm also interested in giving DKH a proper try. I tried it out quickly at UK Games Expo this year, but because I had a stand to look after I had to abandon it shortly into the game.

Finally, if you're into RPG's I have a group that plays on a Wednesday evening. At the moment we play mostly Microlite20 (the rules are available free online).
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2011, 09:13:39 pm »

Microlite20!

I have my entire Microlite20! GM kit in a recipe card box.  Every character sheet and all the rules each fit on a 3x5 inch recipe card.  And there's even room for dice.

As for testing out a full game of KoW, remember you can always make cardboard stands the size of the troops/regiments/hordes and label them (or stick less miniatures on them) so you can tell what they are.  It doesn't look nearly as cool as a big base full of miniatures, but it's a stop gap until you get the armies built.
Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: