Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 12:12:17 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Basing for KOW - Full regiment or 5 man strips?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Basing for KOW - Full regiment or 5 man strips?  (Read 348 times)
JP1138
« on: December 15, 2011, 02:05:31 pm »

Hi all

In an effort to get out of the funk I seem to have slipped into with the collapse of the business idea, I thought I'd get all my KOW armies looking consistent in terms of basing. Some have brown edging, some green but that's by the by. What is stumping me is this:

I only play KOW. I have no intention of ever playing WFB again. To that end all my models are based on 5 man strips for ease of storage as well as improved faster game-play (tocks a ticking!). But I'm thinking about going the whole hog and rebasing the armies on full regiment bases. Only problem would be storage. the Battlefoam cases could work but a quick check and ordering custom cut foam would be very expensive.

If you have regimentally based your armies, how do you store yours?

Cheers
JP
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Estarriol
Ma

Mantic Points: +1/-1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2011, 03:11:43 pm »

For me storage isn't the problem, rather the safe transport, otherwise I too would be tempted to go for full regiment bases.
Report Spam   Logged
Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2011, 06:06:27 pm »

Magnetised base, metal container. Simple as that really. If the magnet is strong enough on the base, then they should not come off at all. They can slip around on the surface they are on, but it isn't hard to prevent that.
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2011, 06:12:48 pm »

I think I'm going to stick with the 5 man strips. They store easily enough in the Mantic Cases - I even got 10 Cavalry on 5 2 horse strips into a large case no problem - and still allow for fast movement of units during gameplay.

If I base as a full regiment, I'm going to have to leave them out on display until I can afford some foam inserts for the battlefoam bag or look into the magnet thing as Bert suggests. Either of these ways means an outlay I just can't afford right now, while sticking with my original method means no extra cost.

I just like the idea of diorama style units. Maybe a project for next year when I finally get round to doing an Abyssal Dwarf army.
Report Spam   Logged
Jonathan Faulkes
M

Mantic Points: +8/-0

Painting Dwarfs and Orcs

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2011, 10:33:27 pm »

A cheaper alternative to custom case inserts is to buy deep inserts for cav models and remove some of the cross members to create spaces for regiment bases.  I've gone for 10 model bases as a decent compromise.  Easy to move, easier to store and simple to rank up.  Remind me and I'll post a photo of the job I did on an old GW case..
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2011, 11:34:10 pm »

My first thought was to keep my models individually based because I use them for D&D and other skirmish games, but lately I'v been thinking that I likely will never, ever need an entire horde's worth of elven spearmen in any single D&D session or skirmish game.  So I may keep a troop of each type individually based and then base the rest on 5x2 troop sized regiment stands so I can still change up how big I want my units.

For my historicals on large element basing, I go with home made transport solutions.  I went to the dollar store and grabbed a sufficiently sized plastic food container for two or three regiment bases.  Then I got a cheap metal baking sheet from the same store and cut out metal squares and hot glued it to the bottom.  Adhesive magnet sheeting goes on the bottom of the regiment bases.  Finally, I took some microfibre cloths (also from the dollar store) and drapped and folded them over the element stand until the case was full, but no pressure would be applied to spears, flags, etc., of the figures once the container was snapped shut.

I also do this for my odd sized models like my Warmachine warjacks and have yet to have a damaged miniature after two years of transporting them twice a week.

Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
frogimus
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2011, 01:46:53 am »

Each of my figures have a 1/4" X 1/32"  neodymium magnet glued to the bottom.  After serious thought of cutting my own steel movement trays, I found shogunminiatures.com  - their price for flanged steel movement trays are much more attractive than anything I could cobble with hammer and tin snips.

The movement trays can be magnetized into any container you choose - just glue some mag's into the container.

I also put letters and numbers on the bottom of each base to index the position of the figure.  That way, I can split a regiment of 20 into 2 troops of 10, etc. and still not go insane trying to weave them back together.

BTW, make sure you turn magnetic polarity the same way on the bases.
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2011, 01:57:29 am »

thank you for the shogun miniatures link.  They're exactly what I was looking for as I'm not 100% satisfied with my own magnetic solution as I wasn't able to get the flanges done in a pleasing manner and I don't like super thick borders around my trays.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 01:59:21 am by Nathaniel » Report Spam   Logged

frogimus
newb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2011, 02:33:26 am »

No problem.  I was so happy to stumble across them that I figured a lot of others would be also.  Honestly, their prices are very reasonable compared to some of the things we wargamers invest in.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2011, 11:30:23 am »

I wasn't able to get the flanges done in a pleasing manner

hurhurhur   Tongue

I keep my Werewolves in a display cabinet, but when I'm transporting them for a game, I just blu-tac them into one of those big plastic under bed storage containers.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Nathaniel
M

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 03:58:22 am »

Maybe it's a cultural thing, but I'm not sure what was funny about flanges.  What I meant was that the border around movement trays has never turned out nicely for my homemade ones.  I like the idea of small machine folded steel flanges combined with magnetic basing to keep things stable and neat.

Here's another idea I might go with for some projects.  I really like the look of the non-bevelled mantic bases, but if I ever do want to go round, I like this foam placemat idea:

http://paulsbods.blogspot.com/2011/06/wargaming-bases.html
Report Spam   Logged

mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:45 am »

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=flange

All my models are on single bases but that's more out of habit and a voice in the back of my head telling me I might play a game one day that needs it that way.
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 10:09:36 am »

I guess it's some UK based slang.  I only used the word because it was on the website in that link.
Report Spam   Logged

Kiltedwolf
newb

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2012, 10:31:28 pm »

Brand new to the forums -- and to KoW. I just purchased Mhorgoth Rising and was looking at basing ideas. The magnetic movement bases offered by Shogun seem the way to go -- thanks for the link.

In regards to transporting the figures after mounting them on movement bases, I ran across this at Battle Foam: http://us.battlefoam.com/categories/Battle-Foam-Trays-%2815.5-x-12%29/Warhammer-Fantasy/Generic-Warhammer-Fantasy/. These seem just the ticket for transporting armies that are based on movement trays; beats loading and unloading 100+ figures each time. I do not work for Battle Foam, but I do have several of their bags and foam -- expensive, but top notch. As they are in the same state as I, shipping is easy as well.

Cheers!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: