Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 07:18:57 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Warpath Personal Army Fiction - Thread 1 - Your Leader

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warpath Personal Army Fiction - Thread 1 - Your Leader  (Read 2177 times)
Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« on: December 09, 2011, 07:18:28 pm »

One of my favorite aspects of miniature gaming is coming up with the story behind my army.  This thread is about both helping people to do that and to share our ideas with one another with a bit more structure than normal.

So the thread has some simple procedures to follow.

Step 1:  50 words

First of all, write 50 words or less about your leader.  No more.  Try to communicate the things that are most important to you about the leader of your army.

And by leader, I don't necessarily mean the chairmen of the board of directors for the Corporation or the eldest whitebeard who rules the Forge Fathers.  I mean the character behind the miniature that you field and think of as the leader when you put your army on the table.

If you can't do 50, try for 100 words (but don't post it here) and then try to shave that down.  Constraints actually enhance creativity rather than stifle it.  50 words forces you to concentrate on what is the most important thing you want to communicate.

Step 2: "This makes me think..."

Read the 50 words someone else wrote about their leader and respond by starting with "This makes me think..." or "This tells me that..." and then talk about some conclusion or inference you can come to based on what they told you.

For example, if someone wrote about how their Marauder mercenary captain stopped a Corporation task force from destroying a civilian target, you might write something like "This tells me that despite his monstrous appearance, he values human life more than the humans do.  Something probably happened in his past to value civilians so much as to risk his life to protect them."

Keep these responses under 50 words as well.

Step 3: Another 50 words about your leader in response to someone else's Step 2 post

Now you'll be able to see whether or not you were able to communicate what was important to you in an effective manner and respond.

It's also a good time to take ideas that you get from people's responses (or their ideas) and incorporate them.

For example, the person might respond about his Marauder Leader:  "During the revolution to free themselvs from Corporation control, the Corporation eradicated his home city, killing his tribe down to the last child.  He spend a decade getting revenge until one day, looking down upon the burned human bodies, he realized he had become no different than the humans who destroyed his home."

Step 4 - "This makes me think..." Part 2

After someone posts their Step 3, do step 2 for that post again.

For example, in response to the above text, "This makes me think that he probably still has a terrible reputation as a war criminal that haunts him wherever he goes."

Step 5 - 50 last words

After someone responds with their Step 4, you may now write 50 more words that you feel tie everything together.  You can respond to any and all "This makes me think..." posts by other people and include whatever elements you like.

This is also a good place to talk about what your leader wants now.

Example: "Marauder Warlord Garax encounters people who fear him for his past deeds on a regular basis.  The worst is when he meets the relatives of those he killed on some forgotten rock out in space.  He now only takes mercenary work where he fights other combatants and never civilians." (49 words)

Five Steps-- this is crazy!

Just start with step 1 and worry about 2-5 when they come.  I promise to respond with a "This makes me think..." to everyone who posts that.

If 50 words seems too few, remember that the more people that do steps 2 and 4 for you, the more times you'll be able to add 50 words in steps 3 and 5.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 07:28:19 pm by Nathaniel » Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »

Here's my Step 1:

Corporation Marine Captain Reginald Stanley Jevons was looking at his portfolio when he realized there would be a shortfall.  Not willing to settle for anything but a perfect retirement, he left his desk job.  Danger pay is great when you're the one sending other people into danger.
Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: