Mantic Fanatics
April 19, 2024, 07:54:26 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

The Mantic Podcast thread

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Mantic Podcast thread  (Read 848 times)
Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« on: December 08, 2011, 08:30:26 pm »

Hi guys,
I thought it might be appropriate to actually have a thread for the podcast on this forum.

Today we just released episode 3, and we're pretty happy with how it went.
Here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY-opBwLps0&feature=g-upl

We really need feedback though, so if you have anything to say please let me know in the comments on youtube (or here if you like).

Also, if you happen to be on reddit, I'd appreciate it if you could go to the warhammer subreddit and upvote the Mantic Moments post. The more upvotes it has, the more people on the forum will get to see it.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 08:43:31 pm »

Hey there Bert. As it happens I came across the new episode earlier today but only had a chance to listen to part one before I left the house.

It sounded good. I do have a couple of comments.

At the start of the show, the hosts should briefly introduce themselves. That wasn't done in this episode. I think you've done that in the past, so it was probably just an oversight, but hopefully you'll be getting new listeners with each episode so it's kind of important.

The second thing is double checking your news items before throwing them out there. I've noticed this in previous episodes as well. Even unintentional misinformation can be an annoyance to your listeners. In this case it was the comment about an annual catalogue replacing the Mantic Journal. Unless you guys have heard something I haven't, that isn't the case.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the show and look forward to listening to part 2 & 3 when I've got a chance. Well done! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
JP1138
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 09:16:11 pm »

Hi Bert.

So far I've listened to parts 1&2 of episode 3. As always, enjoying for the most part but I have a concern.

Several times the conversation seems to simply break down and trail away, moving on to the next 'topic' without really either coming to a conclusion or making a solid statement on the previous piece. As a listener it becomes a bit frustrating when we hear: "well, yes, but I don't really have anything to say on that so we'll move on." I paraphrase there, but its happened a couple of times now and in previous episodes and could turn listeners off.

The 'Month In Mantic' should be what has happened in Mantic Games, not what the pair of you have been up to, especially when you both spend several minutes discussing non-Mantic related hobby activities. This would mean you don't need a 'news' section which basically states info we've all known for several weeks.

I liked the Corporation images, especially with the added speech bubbles - I laughed out loud on those and scared the cat!

You could use images from the Mantic site when you go over the Month In Mantic - show the models etc so people know what you're talking about - this may be in part 3, not listened to it yet.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, I really don't mean it to as I thoroughly enjoy the podcast and am eagerly awaiting Episode 4 - A New Hope!

JP
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 01:09:31 am »

The second thing is double checking your news items before throwing them out there. I've noticed this in previous episodes as well. Even unintentional misinformation can be an annoyance to your listeners. In this case it was the comment about an annual catalogue replacing the Mantic Journal. Unless you guys have heard something I haven't, that isn't the case.

I just listened to the news section and I don't think they said that.  They mentioned the Journal was ending as a print product, then mentioned a catalgue as the next bit of news.  I think you may have connected the two ideas which are just part of a larger list of news.
Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
Bert
M

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:30:53 am »

Thanks for the responses in general guys. I'm going to try and reply to all of them.

I'll reply in general first though. From what I'm seeing here, we generally need to tighten up a few things we do on the podcast. We need to do a fair bit more planning per episode, and we probably need to do the into together, rather than me just doing it by myself (as that doesn't lend itself to us introducing ourselves).
There are separate problems with the news section that I think is out of our control, but I'll get into that later.

Darsc,
Max and I will recheck that news section to see what you mean. I didn't think there was any misinformation, but perhaps structuring that section in a clearer manner will help (as we need to do with everything).
As to intros, you're absolutely right.

Hi Bert.

So far I've listened to parts 1&2 of episode 3. As always, enjoying for the most part but I have a concern.

Several times the conversation seems to simply break down and trail away, moving on to the next 'topic' without really either coming to a conclusion or making a solid statement on the previous piece. As a listener it becomes a bit frustrating when we hear: "well, yes, but I don't really have anything to say on that so we'll move on." I paraphrase there, but its happened a couple of times now and in previous episodes and could turn listeners off.

The 'Month In Mantic' should be what has happened in Mantic Games, not what the pair of you have been up to, especially when you both spend several minutes discussing non-Mantic related hobby activities. This would mean you don't need a 'news' section which basically states info we've all known for several weeks.

I liked the Corporation images, especially with the added speech bubbles - I laughed out loud on those and scared the cat!

You could use images from the Mantic site when you go over the Month In Mantic - show the models etc so people know what you're talking about - this may be in part 3, not listened to it yet.

Sorry if this comes across as harsh, I really don't mean it to as I thoroughly enjoy the podcast and am eagerly awaiting Episode 4 - A New Hope!

JP
JP, when you talk about the conversation breaking down is this in reference to the Main Topic section? We aimed for an overall discussion of the rules, but at times I noticed that we would bring a point up that there simply wasn't much to talk about. We didn't want to rehash the rule book, but perhaps we should have?
If we had briefly described the section and it's implications would that have worked better for people? Would it have been pallet-able for more seasoned players?

The Month in Mantic being about Mantic games is a good point. This is something we have been talking about ourselves, and we weren't sure which way to go.
I think I listen to the D6 Generation podcast a little to much, and as their month in gaming section is very very broad I tend to think along those lines.
In addition this past month was really a problem for me in terms of getting to game.
I'll talk to Max about this, and we can see how we'll do this. Perhaps another obstacle here is that we have not been able to play games together, which is something we'd really like to do. If there was a play by e-mail version of vassal it would be perfect for what we want to do.

The news section is something which Max puts a lot of effort into. Unfortunately due to the way we edit the show it takes me a few days from editing the show to you guys seeing. That means that any news is at least a few days old.

Now this was fine, as in the past someone has said that they want a wrap up of the past month's news. If more people could weigh in on this topic it would help.
Personally the best case scenario is if we were in contact with people in the know, who were willing to give us some info. We could then guarantee which date the podcast comes out, so that they know exactly when that info is coming out from us.
This would suit the fact that we are aiming to release each episode on the 1st/2nd of the month from now on.

Didn't think anyone would notice the hidden comic already. I just popped it in for fun last minute. Glad you liked it.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by showing the models we are talking about.
Do you mean, for instance, if I paint a unit of Marauders, a picture of that painted marauder unit should be showing on the screen as we talk about them?

Overall Max and I will take a look at all this and see what we can do to improve things. In terms of organization it seems like this is more work than I expected. That's fine for me, but it just means we're going to have to work on it.
We'll also address some of this stuff on the podcast.

Thanks guys.
Keep giving that great feedback!
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 12:38:06 pm »

Hi Bert

Let me start off by again saying how much I enjoy the podcast. Re-reading my post it does come across as a bit overly negative and you both obviously put a lot of time and effort into the 'cast which I'm sure the other Fanatics will back me up in saying how much we appreciate it. You don't have to do this, yet you do, and I for one appreciate it.

I do think you could be a lot slicker with a bit more prep and by going to once a month as you state, this could work out. Maybe you could encourage others to take part as that would open the conversation a lot more and throw more opnions, thoughts into the mix and maybe prevent a lot of the "umm.. I don't know much about that" "Oh, right. Well, moving on..." that seems to happen a lot.

You can obviously time images to what is being said (that Corporation dude was hilarious), so perhaps when you discuss what you've been painting, an image can come up.

By switching to monthly casts as well, the Month In Mantic will be a retrospect, including, but not limited to what has been released, events that have happened, interviews that have been given etc.

I think you need to look at the content list and clearly define what each should be and then maybe write a bullet pointed script you each follow. Yes, this means a lot of prep work and a few conversations beforehand (BERT: "regarding KOW War MAchines, I want to say X, Y, Z" MAX: "and I'll go over A,B,C and we can summarise with W).

Again, this reads badly but I hope you see the intention.

Keep up the great work
JP
Report Spam   Logged
Bert
M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 02:33:14 pm »

I don't think your feedback was overly negative at all.
We've been asking for honest feedback, and we want to improve.
I think that it will take extra dedication to ensure the podcast is better structured, which is something I can't help with as much as I'd like, as a lot of hobby time is already taken up by editing the podcast.

One thing I'm curious about is to what extent other people want to have regularly changing images on the podcast.
I have a funny feeling that a full on video version would turn off a lot of people, but then maybe those people are already turned away by it being exclusively on youtube.
Sadly we don't have a lot of money, so our efforts are hard work and time. We can't give the podcast it's own website, or do those kinds of things just yet. That means the thing goes on youtube, as every audio service I've found costs even just a bit of money which is the one thing I'm unwilling to put into this.
Sorry to be blunt, but I don't want to be in a situation where I end up with minus money in this area of the hobby.

I'm not sure I'm being concise regarding the changing images issues. I've stated before that I don't have the time to make it very regularly changing images, but some imput about what should be done here would be good.
Perhaps we will just have changing images when we're in Month in Mantic so people can see new things.

THanks for the reply. Hopefully you understood this post, and can reply to it too.
Report Spam   Logged
Nathaniel
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 06:06:14 pm »

I think youtube is fine.  If you have an mp3 of it, I'd look into uploaded it to archive.org - it's free.  Just put a link in your video description to the mp3 on archive.org

http://www.archive.org/details/audio_podcast

As you can see, there are lots of podcasts there already.
Report Spam   Logged

Write some fiction about your army.
Warpath: http://manticfanatics.smfforfree3.com/index.php/topic,506.msg4183
mattl
M

Mantic Points: +8/-1

Mantic Pathfinder (New England)

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2012, 11:43:09 pm »

Any chance we can have an mp3 of the show as well as the YouTube thing?

Its also worth noting that the 40k for Old Men podcast has just got a new host, TheUnnamableOne (aka Neil Collins) under its new name, 6s2Hit.
Report Spam   Logged
RickHardcastle
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 12:19:09 pm »

That's actually pretty funny, I missed it cos I don't watch the background whilst I listen, but it is a nice little easter egg to hide in there...
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: