Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 11:47:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Undead army for Easter

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undead army for Easter  (Read 528 times)
war_grub
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2011, 03:04:08 pm »

I started this army on new years day, and I'm aiming to get it finished by Easter monday. So far I'm down 137 models out of 210, so I'm pretty happy with my progress. They've all been painted using the dipping method, except that I paint on the dip. I haven't got any photo's of the characters done yet, but should have some soon, as well as some cool close ups that my camera obsessed sister took for me.

Gotta say, love these models. And dipping works a treat for me. It's cool to have the models come together so quickly. Onto the photos:

Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:24 am »

The red and green looks pretty good!

Have you played much with your painted minis yet?
If so how do you keep the textures on the movement trays?
Every time I have sanded and flocked movement trays it always comes off in heaps...
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 01:10:40 pm »

Looking good dude.  My only minor niggle is that you should do something with the shields, just to break the colour up a little.  Care to share your planned list?

@Manticore - I have that problem myself, so never really bothered with textured movement trays.  From asking around, I'm told the best method is to stick the texture down with No More Nails, or similar, then, once flocked/grassed use a spray adhesive to keep that in place.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
war_grub
newb

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 08:52:08 am »

Cheers guys.

Never had any problem with sand coming off my bases but the static grass definately malts. I have to have a think about the best way to secure it.

Haven't decided what to do with the shields. I suck badly at freehand, so I think I'll try and find some good transfers to use at some point. I was thinking something basic like some kind of black skull design. I'll finish painting the rest of the army before I get around to doing it.

So far I've finished:

1 skeleton horde
1 skeleton regiment
2 revenant regiments
1 ghoul troup
1 ghoul regiment
1 balefire catapult
2 necromancers
1 revenant king

Stuff that I have to complete:
1 army standard bearer
2 reaper vampires
2 reaper warewolves (varghulfs in fantasy)
1 revenant knight regiment
1 unit of wraiths
1 zombie horde

So, if I take out the warewolves, count the vampires as revenant kings, give the skellies rat dogs and give command models wherever I can, than I can pull together a 1930 point army. A perfect excuse to grab another catapult. And maybe another half a dozen units while I'm at it.....
Report Spam   Logged
war_grub
newb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 10:07:44 am »

So....finally an update! I'm a touch behind schedule, but having said that I've only got a zombie horde to go and I've reached my tarfet! I caved in and ended up buying a couple more catapults, morgoth and a liche king. So I guess I'll be painting past Easter, but I probably won't be setting any more deadlines for myself.

On with the show:

My wraiths

Reaper warewolf / Varghulf

Reaper Cerebus / Varghulf

Revenant Cavalry

A couple of vampires that'll count as revenant kings in KoW games.

I have a few more heroes, but the photo's didn't turn out for them this time. I'm not too handy with the old camera.

Anyway, there getting pretty close to completion. Just the zombies (by easter) and a couple more heroes, catapults and shield transfers to go. Speaking of which, if any one knows any good place to get transfers can they let me know? One of my only issues with mantic models, so many flat shields.....
Report Spam   Logged
Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 03:12:41 pm »

Your two Vargulfs look awesome. I really like those models!

Now I'm going to have to go and take a few photos of what I have done so I can hopefully join the ranks of great hobbyists on this forum!
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
war_grub
newb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 10:54:37 am »

Cheers.

I do love the  varghulf sculpts thsat I've got. Reaper have some kick ass undead models, and some pretty awesome dwarfs that I've been looking at too. And there so damn cheap with our dollar at the moment. I'm half tempted to get some tomb king themed models from them, if you bored you have to check out there scorpian-man.

You should definately puut up a few pictured. Join the ranks of infrequently updated painting logs on here!

Report Spam   Logged
Fear Of Drowning
M

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 09:36:58 am »

Oooh I like it, great army and a great scheme.

For textured movement trays I use watered down PVA to glue the sand down then let it dry completely. After that I add another layer of pva to seal it on. A coat of spray then usually does the job. It cetainly is not foolproof though, may give the No More Nails a go.
Report Spam   Logged
war_grub
newb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 02:44:53 pm »

So I kinda reached my deadline for easter. It took me a day or two to finish off the unit filler for my zombies, and it always takes me ages to get around to taking pictures. Sorry about the quality of these pictures, I'm not great with a camera:

The army. Terrible quality. But there it is.

My zombie horde. I think the zombie warewolf unit filler didn't quite pan out, but the model is still cool and could be used as a character if need be.

A few characters. I probably shouldn't have had the flash on the camera for these shots. They do look better in real life.

So, while the photo's may be less than perfect, I'm pretty happy with my effort. Just under 2000 points in around 4 months. Morgoth and the liche king are almost finished too. I've got a couple more balefire catapults to do, and then I reaaly should put some transfers on the sheilds, and I think I'll call it a rap. Or at least start on my next project. I think I'll be shooting for an equal size army of dwarfs to be painted by christmas. Heaps of time by comparison.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 03:16:42 pm »

Well done that man!

Hey, just because your army isn't display standard, doesn't mean you shouldn't be proud of the achievement of finishing it.  I always aim to have a 4ft army, one that looks good to your opponent from the other side of the table. 

As for transfers, check out Veni, Vidi, Vici - that's where I picked up the Mailed Fist and Skull transfers for my Dwarfs and Undead.  They sent me some wolf head ones by accident, so those may end up on my Orcs, and I'll be having a look for some for my Elves too.

Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
war_grub
newb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2011, 10:21:20 am »

I thought I'd update this log with some new photo's. I've finished Morgoth and the Liche King (a little while ago now) and I'm pretty happy with the results. Expecially with Morgoth, he's a fun model.

Morgoth

The Liche King

And my first dwarf unit...

I'm very happy with how these guys came out. I used the army painter dark tone for these guys which is much easier to use than my hardware store dip, but pretty pricey. The blue and yellow theme is based on the local footie club here in Perth. I'll be doing up my dwarfen army over the next six months or so for the mantic fanatic painting challenge, so hopefully I should have a good size army done by the end of the year.

Thanks to Garaaw for putting me onto Vini Vidi Vici. I should have sheild transfers for both armies very soon.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: