Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 06:22:33 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Defiance Games

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Defiance Games  (Read 513 times)
kairob
M

Mantic Points: +11/-0

Current Army: Undead (partially painted), humans (unpainted)

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »

Anyone excited about what these guys are coming up with?

Here's a preview of their USMC's;

If they are released by February I might get some (for my birthday) or I might wait for the more heavily armoured Germans. They could work as Cadians, Corporation as well as whatever game Defiance Games releases with the models.

I am concerned though that they might look too low tech to fit with Mantics or GW's more advanced factions. The detail looks good though, what do you guys think?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 06:31:29 pm »

I dunno. It looks okay, but there are a lot of companies out there that do "slightly" futuristic soldiers. Unfortunately they all do them in metal and they aren't cheap.

Will wait on Corporation proxies until I start seeing an assortment of pics of Mantics actual models.

EDIT: I did not realize the Defiance Marines were cast in hard plastic.

http://www.tabletopgamingnews.com/2011/11/29/52691/#comments

At these prices, and being in plastic, they are tempting. Being based on current Marines though, would mean having to rely on other companies models for specialty units and futuristic vehicles to give the army more of a scifi look.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 07:17:52 pm by Darsc Zacal » Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
kairob
M

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 07:26:01 pm »

As one of their Core ranges they do plan to flesh them out with heavy weapons, tanks and female marines, in plastic. IIRC

Just a minute, went on the website, here's a quote;

So with the USMC you'll have infantry followed closely by power armor (what we call hardsuits), then female Marines, and then heavy weapons. Over time, we will continue to add to those Core Forces with supplemental sets, vehicles, etc. - all in hard plastic.

Looks like vehicles will be last, which makes sense as they are the most expensive for them to make and have the most plastic substitutes already. Huh
Report Spam   Logged

Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 10:05:38 am »

The paint scheme makes it very hard to make any kind of judgment about the quality of the miniatures.
Personally I think I'm going to prefer the corporation stuff.
Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 11:05:24 am »

Are these from the same people who were behind Wargames Factory?
Report Spam   Logged
kairob
M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 03:54:04 pm »

I believe that it was joint with them and a Chinese firm, the was a lot of unpleasantness and now the Chinese firm owns WF and these guys have started a new company. More details I do not know.
Report Spam   Logged

mattl
M

Mantic Points: +8/-1

Mantic Pathfinder (New England)

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:08 pm »

Defiance are a local company to me, I've been talking to the boss over there, and I hope to have a sprue or two very soon.
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 06:31:14 pm »

Again, did not realise this was Tony Reidy's new company that he started after the Wargames Factory fiasco. Just because of what happened over there, I'd be leery of ordering anything from Defiance until we see actual sprues of the final product, and not just renders and 3 ups. Wargames Factory had a history of their final product not living up to what what was originally shown. Not to mention shipping delays etc all while Tony was head of that company.

I realize that sounds very negative when I would actually like to be supportive, but the reality is that Tony is going to have to prove that he's learned how to properly run a miniatures company since he moved on from Wargames Factory.
Report Spam   Logged

kairob
M

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:44:31 pm »

I believe that those issues may have come from the Chinese side of things. I could be wrong though.

I too am waiting for pictures of the sprue or reasonably large pictures of the unpainted models.

The current (small and painted) preview doesn't look like a three up though. Again I could be wrong.

EDIT:
Defiance are a local company to me, I've been talking to the boss over there, and I hope to have a sprue or two very soon.

Please could you get some good photo's when you get them?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 06:48:24 pm by kairob » Report Spam   Logged

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:20:31 pm »

The original sculpts for miniatures that are to be cast on plastic sprues are sculpted at 3 times normal size. Originals for metal and resin casting are sculpted at the actual size of the metal miniature.

That would mean the painted miniatures shown in the photos would have to be three ups, unless they're from a preproduction sprue, in which case I would have expected to be shown a pic of the entire sprue as well.
Report Spam   Logged

kairob
M

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 08:04:17 pm »

I know about 3-ups I just didn't think it looked like one, but you're right, the lack of more pictures is off putting. As I have previously mentioned I am waiting for more pics before buying and would recommend others do too. I am however very excited about them, if they are as good as they look and get future support they will make an excellent to my collection. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 08:12:16 pm »

Agreed. If Defiance can actually create everything they have planned, it should be a good addition to our hobby. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:10:33 pm »

The painted model is a 28mm 3d print, since the models are digitally sculpted.. there is no need to make 3-ups for mould tooling accuracy.

I'm not a fan of the head, which looks too "stuck on", and there's something off about the arms, I think it might be the neck and shoulder joints causing the problem. The leg armour (and the sculpt in general) also appears to have soft mushy detail rather than hard and crisp lines. I'm really not sure why something like armour and rifles, modelled in 3d are not turning out perfectly flat and angled in the renders.

Quite possibly a lack of skill on the sculptor's side of things, with them only really having the hang of software that works by "pulling and pushing" shapes like putty.. great for soft details, not so great if you need a rigid, angled structure... guns and armour should be the easiest thing to get looking nice and sharp in 3d, but it just isn't happening on these. I'd be very surprised if it was a tooling restriction, since if anything flat and angular seems to be the easiest thing to pull off in hard plastic.

Can see these doing well as a budget option, a dollar per model is a good price regardless of what the sculpt looks like. They look like they'd fit well as generic imperial guard for the kind of player who wants a bucket load of them.

Most of the Alien War factions will be human, so even if the first release isn't great, there is potential for at least one of their sci-fi human kits to hit a high standard. Even WGF put out the occasional good kit (ancient numidians and skeletons).
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 10:04:40 pm by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: