Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 08:52:59 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Black Scorpion switching to Resin.

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Black Scorpion switching to Resin.  (Read 201 times)
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2011, 07:24:03 am »

So I just found out that Black Scorpion announced last week that their miniature production will be switching from metal to resin. The general plan appears to be that as the metal stock of their more popular mini's runs out, the new stock will be switched over to a resin casting.

The reason given is the rising cost of metals, although they also mention that resin will allow them to produce varients of models. They also mention the type of resin is less brittle and slightly bendable, but to reduce breakage they also have the ability to cast mini's with delicate parts like a spear or long sword blade, with a wire inside. Sort of "prepinning" the mini.

They are also moving their casting inhouse, to give them a more consistant production schedule. However even though the material they are using is cheaper than metal, the increased labour require for casting resin means there won't be much, if any, of a price drop on most of the mini's.

Don't know if the resin they'll be using is more like GW's or Mantics.

Anyway I found this interesting in light of GW's recent switch to resin while keeping the prices the same as for metal. It would seem that Mantics outsourcing of resin casting to China really makes a big difference to production costs, as they were able to almost halve the costs of their resin minis from their metal counterparts.

I know that Reaper has been experimenting with resin casting too, albeit on a very small scale with just a couple of limited edition figures so far. Definately seems to be the way the industry is headed though.

Now I just wish that someone would come up with a resin glue that slightly melts the resin in the same way that plastic glue does to plastic.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2011, 07:55:54 am »

Can see it working out okay for their range in particular.

I have a bunch of their pirates, and they have lots of small pieces with absolutely tiny, unpinnable joins... stuff like a seperate hand with a pistol that just cannot be pinned.

On the other hand, the thin-ness means that resin breaking could definitely be a problem too.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: