Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 05:02:41 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

KoW without premeasurement

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: KoW without premeasurement  (Read 445 times)
Kent_Fury
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

Current Army: Undead, Humans and Dwarfs.

View Profile WWW
« on: November 08, 2011, 09:03:11 am »

Here is a good one.

Play the game without pre measurement. This is rad! Its how me and my buddies are playing it and makes it an adult game.

Rate or Hate

Report Spam   Logged

Best range of Mantic outside the UK.
www.hobbyhub.co

First and only podcast
www.Podhammer.net

Join me on facebook hobbyhub.co

Or if your up for somthing a bit spicey follow me on twitter kent_fury

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 01:26:03 pm »

Given that range guessing was one of the things I hated about Warhammer, I'll put this on a "hate" list for me.  (And I was one of the ones in our group who was good at ranging.)  To do it correctly, you have to add a handful of clarifying rules.  (For example, the rules for determining a charge -- it you're not in range, how specifically to move, etc.  Plus, it can only hurt the attacker, whereas in WFB a defender could choose to flee from an attack that couldn't reach him, so there was at least a chance he could screw up too.)

The fact is that estimating ranges is a skill that can be honed, and some people are good at it and some just aren't and won't be.  When GW chose it as a factor upon which to base outcomes of games, rather than adding some sort of command and control/fog of war mechanism, it was a bad decision.  It is still a bad decision.

The best way to introduce the "fog of war" into KoW is already built into it: timed games.  That will cause players to make tactical mistakes and make the game fun, while also encouraging it to be played quickly.

The simplicity of design is really very elegant -- possibly even more so than Alessio realized when he was making it.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Kent_Fury
newb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 09:10:30 pm »

Disagree, If your not in range for a charge you can't charge = advance order only.

When GW took it out it was one of the big things that experienced gamers in Aus hated the most as it meant a lot of the skill in spacing was taken out.

When I play KoW with out Pre Measure they love it. And now I have them playing again.
Report Spam   Logged

www.hobbyhub.co

First and only podcast
www.Podhammer.net

kairob
M

Mantic Points: +11/-0

Current Army: Undead (partially painted), humans (unpainted)

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 10:19:06 pm »

Different people like to play different ways I guess, I like being able to measure in advance but I think I might try it out your way next time and see if it's more fun or not.
Report Spam   Logged

Baragash
Ma

Mantic Points: +7/-0

Current Army: KoW Undead & Dwarves

Lord of the Pit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 09:24:16 am »

When GW took it out it was one of the big things that experienced gamers in Aus hated the most as it meant a lot of the skill in spacing was taken out.

I agree with Llew. If I wanted to sit around eye-balling measurements I'd be a carpenter. Random charges is the best change to WH 8th IMO, and it's a shame KoW doesn't have it.

Another thing WH does better than KoW is the new movement phase rules. KoW basically uses the WH 6th/7th movement rules for changing direction and terrain and TBH it's doesn't make for an interesting game.
Report Spam   Logged

scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 10:00:07 am »

While I'm not a fan of range-guessing, I also can't stand random charge distances... the rule just slows things down, and swings the game further in the direction of "crazy randomness, dump a bucket of dice on the table and see who gets more sixes!" kinda gameplay that I dislike.

I like KoW exactly as it currently is.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2011, 10:03:00 am by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Kent_Fury
newb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 10:08:52 am »

IMO the movement changes and pre-measure is what made so many rage quitters of 8th. The movement restrictions in KOW mean you have to be spot on with your deployment and have a overall game plan before you start. If you can force you opponent to change their strategy your half way there.

When you use no pre-measure just some Gentalmen rules before you roll a dice:
1. If you delare your going to shot at a target and its out of range the shot is wasted.
2. If you fail a charge you have to move your full Advance move making any direction adjustments. (Yes this could mean your left with your ass hanging out but serves you right!)
3. Agree with you before you roll the dice where you take measurement from: I play centre of the model.

That's about it. If you have been playing for a while it doesn't change much to the game because you know most of it. But there will come a time when you miss by a hairs dick.... then you have my permission to curse my name.
Report Spam   Logged

www.hobbyhub.co

First and only podcast
www.Podhammer.net

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: