Mantic Fanatics
August 19, 2019, 12:42:09 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Edits, Errors, Clarifications and Suggestions for Warpath 1st Ed Rules

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Edits, Errors, Clarifications and Suggestions for Warpath 1st Ed Rules  (Read 397 times)
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« on: December 06, 2011, 06:06:27 am »

Destroyed - 10 is much closer than half value.

For instance, in beta when the rule was introduced, let's look at Forgefather Steel Warriors.

Nerve was 3, 5 and 9 for a  Team, Section and Platoon respectively.  So this was the damage needed to Frag them.

It *appears* that when it came time to put out the first edition, larger units didn't feel durable enough, so they upped how much it took to kill them.  (Was this to compensate for the Fragged rule?  Who knows?)  So the scores for destruction went to 13, 16 and 23.

If we figure at half value, then they get 7, 8 and 12.  (Gain of +4, +3 and +3.)  (Unless you want to go with non-standard rounding, in which case you need to specify that in the rules which is a teeny, tiny bit more complex, but it is something else to have to remember in a game.  Then you'd have 6,8 and 11 for a gain of +3, +3 and +2.)

Destroyed -10 gives 3, 6 and 13.  (Gain of 0, +1 and +4).  (This requires the Fragged rule changing to note that the value is Destroyed score -10, which is something else to remember for the game.)

Your method bulks up the durability of lower-value units pretty significantly.  My method seems to stay in line with the idea that larger units are more durable, which has been one of the design conceits of the KoW/Warpath system.  (Smaller units give you flexibility, larger units survive better and hit harder.)

I think my solution is marginally simpler, and fits in with the overall game design better, but I might be a tad biased.  What is your reasoning for thinking that smaller units should be toughened up?

I've at least shot information over to Mantic that Fragged doesn't work anymore, since it was never adapted to the new Nerve.  We'll have to wait and see what Alessio comes up with to resolve it.  It'll be interesting to see where he wants it to fit in terms of design and how he handles it.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: