Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 08:02:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Experience with Mummies

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Experience with Mummies  (Read 252 times)
war_grub
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: October 30, 2011, 01:00:12 am »

SO I tried out a half regiment of ummies yesterday against my mates dwarfs. He was slaughtering me, completely outplaying me. He  managed to charge the units rear with a regiment of brock riders and in it's flank with a regiment of bezerkers. 140 attacks later he'd only managed to put on 1 damage to the unit. As a result I managed to pull out a draw when I was completely outplayed, an unsatisfying result for both of us.

Regeneration seems completely broken to me. We're going to need to find some kind of house rule to make it playable if I take mummies again. As it stands they're virtually unkillable, and the kow rules don't work if you can' put damage onto a unit. Having a 1/72 chance of taking damage against an Me 4+ attack is well over the top.

Perhaps it would have been a different outcome if they were fighting a dragon. Anyone else had any experience with these guys on the table? Do they fel broken to anyone else?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

lord marcus
Ma

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 02:27:51 am »

Could have been bad dice rolls.
Report Spam   Logged

GAH! Tiny avatar of doooooooooooooom!
Creater of the mantic fanatics social group
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2011, 08:34:17 am »

Not mummies but Trolls (bogies). They took punishment for a couple of turns but being zapped meant that not all the damage was recoverable so they eventually died.

But I think that the general agreement is that the current way Regeneration works is broken.
Report Spam   Logged
war_grub
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 02:10:38 pm »

Lord Marcus, definately some bad rolls there but not exceptionally so. Doing the old Math of War (kind of like math-hammer) each individual bezerker attack has a 1 in 72 of wounding, so 140 attacks will on average cause 1.94 wounds. So the bezerkers could really have only expected to cause 2 wounds in this situation.

Not the end of the world, but as they stand I won't be taking them again in friendly games, which is a shame, mummies are a cool addition to the list. If anyone has any good ideas for how to fix regen I'd be happy to try them out.
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 02:34:10 pm »

The suggestion is to change it to something like this

Regenerate (n)
At the start of your turn, remove (n) points of damage from this unit.

This doesn't account for flame or zap! damage though but simplifies things a lot.
Report Spam   Logged
Jonathan Faulkes
M

Mantic Points: +8/-0

Painting Dwarfs and Orcs

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2011, 03:17:22 pm »

Sounds about right Matt
Report Spam   Logged
Buffirn
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

Current Army: Dwarf, Kingdoms of Man(Brettonians), and coming soon....UNDEAD

Indecision is the key to airpower.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2011, 04:24:13 pm »

I have not followed the Regeneration discussion closely, but I wonder if the rule is OK, but the application is not.  If giving a De 6+ unit Regeneration in the first place is the problem.  If the target were Gargoyle, it would be less annoying, about a 2 in 9 chance, versus this result, 1 in 72.

Just a thought.

BTW, the Regeneration (n) seems like a great idea.  That could be tailored to each unit for more "realism".

Jim
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: