Mantic Fanatics
April 19, 2024, 08:17:38 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Undead Rhino :)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undead Rhino :)  (Read 1051 times)
nurglespuss
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2011, 12:31:10 am »

Hi all!

Well, I finally managed to get ahold of an old Grenadier undead rhino (£16 of Ebay woot!), I've always wanted one!!

I would like to either combine with other 'undead'/skeletal animals/cavalry to 'count as' a unit of revenants...

Anyway, when it arrived it was gunked up with epoxy, and took some serious attention, but, I've now pinned it (not glued it yet) and here are a few pics Smiley

I just need to make a new crew now (still thinking on that one), and possibly find a replacement for the bolt-thrower thats supposed to be in the howda, I'll also be using a flat chariot sized base, and steel putty to make it secure (it does weigh a ton!).

Now, there are 'prisoners' inside the rib cage. I can't really imagine any self respecting undead army really taking 'live' prisoners, so I may either paint them as zombies or as trappe spirits? What do you guys think?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manticore
Man

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 01:11:25 am »

That is a cool model there.
It would look brilliant if you sculpted on some rotting flesh or some armor pieces to the rhino to fit it in more with the Mantic Undead style.
As for the trapped models inside I would probably go with spirits. If they were painted bright it would really add some color to what I am assuming would otherwise be a near all bone colored model. If you can do directional lighting on the inside of the ribs where the spirits are it will look absolutely brilliant!
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
nurglespuss
newb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 09:15:26 am »

Excellent ideas!! Smiley

Yes, I think your right, spirits would look good, and provide the contrast needed to break up the model.

I can do a bit of directional lighting inside... and it will also contrast with the glowy green eye sockets I use on the rest of the army Smiley

Cheers!!
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 09:25:19 am »

That is one chunkyass model for being Undead...

Have you thought of, rather than turning it into a cavalry unit, counting it as a Balefire Catapult?

Then, you could paint the insides as either spirits, providing some form of spectral power, or corpses, which would be ammunition.

I like the idea of adding some armour to it, and if you were feeling really crazy, you could add some LED's to the insides.   Grin

Obviously, without knowing the exact size, I dunno if this would work.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
nurglespuss
newb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2011, 10:47:11 am »

Hi there Gaarew Smiley

Its about the same size as the metal Games Workshop Lizard Man Stegadon, so pretty hefty!!

I'm hoping at some point that mantic introduce some 'big guys' to the armies so that he can count as one of them Smiley

On saying that though... I could count it as a 'Vampire Lord on Pegasus' for now, and not let it fly?

A good idea to use as a balefire, or perhaps as a battery of them?

Anyhow, I should be (finally!!!) getting my undead army, Morgoth the faceless, and a load of bits and bobs when my girl firiend comes up this evening Smiley So provided I'm not too hung over Tongue I should be able to get everything constructed and base coated Sat morning!!
Report Spam   Logged
Manticore
Man

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2011, 11:38:55 am »

Having it as a Balefire Catapult would be cool. You could reset the head to be looking up at an angle and maybe put in some sinew to flesh out the neck area and maybe sculpt some more spirits inside on their way up and out of the mouth!
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
nurglespuss
newb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2011, 01:27:33 pm »

Thats a really cool idea Smiley

I've now found a website that took on the old molds from Grenadier, and have started reproducing them!! (as well as some other excellent old stuff)

I don't know if its in lead or white metal, the postage is rather high, but the stuff is pretty heavy!

http://www.mirliton.it/index.php?cName=fantasy-2528mm

There is also a skeletal dragon....

Anyway, Once I've got it painted, I'll pop another picture in scale with some mantic models.

I am now very tempted to buy a second one and cundertake such conversion work... I'm a little reluctant to fiddle with this one too much as its so old (I was only 5 when it was released! Tongue ).
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2011, 01:44:42 pm »

Argh, you bastard!  Tempting me like that!    Tongue

I remember the Grenadier Barbarians being released in a Dragon Magazine many moons ago, not long after I'd started in the hobby.

I see the Undead Mammoth has a catapult already installed in the howdah.  I feel a coffee and browsing session coming along, followed swiftly by a credit card melting experience.

Curses.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
nurglespuss
newb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 03:33:38 pm »

I know, I'm sorry Tongue its like passing on a virus, I've been doing the same, but trying to resist until I have enough stuff wanted to justify the postage Cheesy

I would also love the mammoth! Tongue

Let me know if you do order one, to see how the molds are holding out Smiley

Cheers,
back to browsing for me... seeing as ebays a bit bereft at the minute Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011, 10:18:16 pm »

A little thread necromacy here, but I have the old Grenadier Skeletal Dragon... Not put together or painted of course,  it's still in it's original box, but it's my intention to use it with my undead army once I get that project started.

Those old Grenadier kits are something I've been wanting since they originally came
out. If anyone does order them through Mirlton I'd second the request to post your impressions of them.

Of course I've also bought the Reaper Skeletal Dragon since then as well. I'm really hoping that as Mantic expands the army lists and KoW rules that they'll allow for large generic monsters in the lists so I can use odd models that I have like these.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: