Mantic Fanatics
April 19, 2024, 05:28:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Crusades vs. Jihad in Fantasy please:)

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Crusades vs. Jihad in Fantasy please:)  (Read 201 times)
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2011, 12:25:49 pm »

Hello Neldoreth! Did you know that your website was responsible for attracting me back to Mantic? I've always wanted to do Historical gaming but rarely got the chance. My best times were decades ago when I played TSR's original "Chainmail" with Society for Creative Anachronism buddies...great fun!

Seeing your website made me realize just how flexible KoW is. Now that the 2.0 KoW edition is out, I am happily painting very old Ral Partha and Minifig Crusaders to use with the "Kingdoms of Men" list. Though miniatures have gotten very beautiful and intricately sculpted nowadays, I still find the little old leads very charming:)

Do you suppose you might work on some later period lists as suggested historical lists for later periods? I like the 1st Crusade, El Cid, Hundred Years War (Jeanne D'arc!!!), and the Mongols:)

The biggest problem with trying to simulate the Mongols seems to be the limited firing arcs of Scouts (bow armed light cav)and troop only unit size for the only cav with bows. I think the Yuan Dynasty is the best Mongol type to use for KoW, don't you? As I understand it, it was a lot more infantry than the typical Mongol army.

Right now I'm a little burned out as a Fanatic, so taking it easy with some Historicals sounds like a great idea to me! Of course I'm going to get Warpath and keep supporting Mantic as well as I can, but the idea of replaying the Crusades with the KoW 2.0 rules fascinates me. Any suggestions and help you can give me would be most welcome!

Thank you!
Gerry

P.S. I'm a huge fan of Peter Brook's "The Mahabharata" and am surprised nobody ever released the Pandavas and the Kauravas complete with all the supernatural entities as a list or an army. I doubt Indians would be offended if it was done tastefully, as they are well aware it's an Epic Poem and not a literal historical document.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

neldoreth
newb

Mantic Points: +2/-0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 08:10:29 pm »

That's awesome Gerry, thanks for the post! Glad that you found Mantic again, I am really liking their whole method, so it's cool to know that others are too.

As for the Crusades, later El Cid, the Mongols, and the Hundred Years War, I am currently in the process of doing a high medieval supplement. Stay tuned in the next couple/few months for that! It will include everything in Europe, the Middle-east, and North Africa from about 1100-1500.

As for early El Cid, those lists (Andalusians, Muslim North Africans, and Spanish Kingdoms) can all currently be found in the Viking Age book. The Viking age book isn't all that well named; it's actually an Early Medieval period supplement and it even includes Byzantium, Italy, North Africa, etc. etc.

On the topic of Mongols, I think that the light cavalry troops - with the additional ability to ignore follow on - does a pretty good approximation of Mongols light cavalry. Of course, it is a generalization, but I still think it works.

Thanks again,
n.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: