Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 07:41:39 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Undead Giant???

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undead Giant???  (Read 463 times)
Getifa
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: January 14, 2011, 01:43:15 pm »

I would like to add a Giant to my undead army using one of the collector models and wondered what I should count it as.

I was thinking its big, so should be faster than normal infantry and he comes on a 60mm by 60mm base. The only unit that is faster than normal infantry and seems suitable is Revenant cavalry. 10 Revenant cavalry has a base size of 125mm by 100mm and seems the best fit. If I count him as being slow, I could count him as something else. A unit of 20 infantry, with a base of 100mm by 80mm. I would obviously put him on a movement tray thats big enough to match the unit he is counting as. I could also count him as a Revenant king and hope people wont mind the bigger base.

What do you guys think?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 09:55:53 am »

What about counting him as a Skeleton Regiment with Spears.

That way, you've got the standard Undead stats, plus he's rocking a few extra attacks.

The 100x80 base might seem a little big, but it means you can really go to town on making a really cool diorama type base.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Getifa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 10:37:55 pm »

Good point. The spears giving extra attacks would give the effect of greater strength and his sweeping type attacks. What about a banner and musician? The banner makes sense due to his size being quite inspiring, But not sure about the musician. Could be that he stomps around and thats a bit like a drum. What could I put on the base to make it interesting, without taking away from the Gaint himself?
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 06:59:12 am »

But not sure about the musician. Could be that he stomps around and thats a bit like a drum.

Or an arse like a flattened trumpet...

For the base, a selection of dead Elfs or Dwarfs would work, as would a few half Zombie parts, or Skeletons, depending on what model you use.  Use the little extras from the kits, maybe even a wall or fence, even a shrubbery.  You could even include a few standard Undead infantry as well as rat dogs.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Getifa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 02:44:13 pm »

Main problem with his arse is a lack of a hole.  Grin I'm planning on using the Skeleton, although the Ghoul is looking very nice now too.. I could just say he can shout and bawl(Fart), just like any other Giant.

I'm never keen on putting enemy models on my bases. I try to avoid models that come with heads of enemies in their hands, as I would need the enemy to represent my actual opponent in that particular game. I don't mind if they are on a banner of some sort though. A little wall with some shrubbery and a couple rat dogs/Skeletons and the like around the place makes sense. It shows what the unit is, while adding interest to the model overall.
Report Spam   Logged
nurglespuss
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 10:19:40 pm »

Ahhh if you used the Ghoul it could represent a ghoul queen (mantic journal 1), but might require a 'gut' to fit the part.

That way it could have banner (perhaps a bone totem) and be a musician (shouting)
Report Spam   Logged
Getifa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:18:32 am »

Interesting idea nurgespuss, the Ghoul is looking more and more like the one I may go for. The fact that it almost looks like its standing over something smaller is also an advantage in its favour. Not sure my conversion skills are upto making it look very Ghoul Queen-like. What page does Mantic Journal #1 mention the Ghoul Queen?
Report Spam   Logged
nurglespuss
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 01:33:55 am »

Hi there Smiley

On double checking its grosser than Ghould Queen, its 'Corpse Mother'

"By far the worst of their kind are the corpse mothers, bloated brood mares who rule the ghoul clans with fists of iron" pg13

Its open to interpretation, but the way I envision their society is a bit likt naked mole rats, with a larger more powerful 'queen' who controls all behaviour, is dominant, and is the only 'breeder'.

Report Spam   Logged
Getifa
newb

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 06:29:22 pm »

Hi there Smiley

On double checking its grosser than Ghould Queen, its 'Corpse Mother'

"By far the worst of their kind are the corpse mothers, bloated brood mares who rule the ghoul clans with fists of iron" pg13

Its open to interpretation, but the way I envision their society is a bit likt naked mole rats, with a larger more powerful 'queen' who controls all behaviour, is dominant, and is the only 'breeder'.

I can see where your coming from there. The 'Corpse Mother' would need to be very large in order to dominate the other Ghouls and protect the young from being eaten my the adult Ghouls in the clan. Still not sure I could convert such a creature.

I would assume that the Ghoul Giant is simply a regular Giant that has been living off dead flesh for quite a few generations, just like regular Ghouls. Perhaps one of its forbearers discovered that if you simply go to a graveyard and dig up dead people to eat, your less likely to be attacked and have sharp things proded in your general direction by your dinner. :p

If I use the Ghoul as my Giant, he looks way faster than normal infantry and might be better represented by a Revanant Cavalry Regiment. So slightly faster and tougher than regular Ghouls, which makes sense.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 06:35:48 pm by Getifa » Report Spam   Logged
Dobie
newb

Current Army: Undead (beeing painted)

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:11:07 pm »

How about using 2 gigants, each on 75 x 50mm bases as a revenant cavalry troop? or on 75 x 100mm for a regiment?
More like a gang of undeath gigants? I'm thinking about this at the moment... Or just plug him into a fitting Regiment with the phalanx-rule. No special rules needed, and looks cool...
Report Spam   Logged
Ogait-Nas
newb

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 07:48:37 pm »

Vampire lord on pegasus?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: