Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 06:15:53 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Warpath Weekend - A Review

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Warpath Weekend - A Review  (Read 1153 times)
JP1138
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:48:31 pm »

Hi Guys,

After a great weekend of snippets of the upcoming release of Warpath I felt the urge to post my review about what I've seen. Still somewhat shaken from my *shudder* abuse from Warseer I've made it blatantly clear that these are MY opinions only and are in no way to be misconstrued as infringing on others IP etc.

The link is http://jonathanpeace.wordpress.com/2011/09/19/warpath-weekend-a-review/

If you would prefer I post the original article here in its full then please let me know. Either way, your own comments are much appreciated either here or on the post.

I am SO looking forward to Warpath now. I have always been a fervant Fantasy gamer, reader, writer but now... but NOW.... oh, my.  Wink

Pass the tissues...

JP
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

theunnamableone
newb

Mantic Points: +2/-0

Current Army: KOW: Dwarves Warpath: Marauders and Forgefathers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 12:51:44 pm »

feel free to post the full article here dude. this is a site for fans by fans. whinge-seer are twats.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 12:53:55 pm by theunnamableone » Report Spam   Logged

"The only good elf is a dead elf"
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 01:22:53 pm »

You know what I loved best about your article JP? The big picture. The other thing I loved about your article was the way you restored my passion for Warpath.

The big picture: Please post your full article here JP! The more places it goes up the better! I'm not saying this just to promote Mantic, let me explain.

Mantic uses the internet extensively to get the word out about their products. A HUGE part of this includes message boards. Message boards use a topical subject format. Which makes you generally talk about a specific subject.

Your article 'zooms' us out again so we can see the good points of the product as well as the thankfully lean rough patches. So we don't just focus on the most controversial specific details of the project, but see it in it's entirety.

Your article was very refreshing!

Passion for Warpath: People, especially a lot of wargaming message board posters, seem to forget that the attitude we look at something with affects how we percieve it. Your wife might not be Miss America, but she's the most beautiful woman in the world for example. Sea food might be a major part of human cuisine, but it's just Cthulhu's naughty bits, for example.

It's just not profitable or advantageous to start out every encounter with a new thing with a chip on your shoulder. It doesn't make you 'wiser' if you can pick apart everything you see with razor witted criticism.

Giving things a chance means there's hope. Loving a thing means forgiving it's failings. Dare to be a little happy my friends!

Now, about paint jobs and Mantic, this criticism is becoming a sore point for me, but you didn't set me off. People who just write 'Kill the painter!' anger me greatly. But you provided some very important information to me and illustrated your point, a wholly different experience. You mentioned you thought the paint job were hiding the details. I had not considered this, being glutted with 'I hate the color' cries from other message boards. When you showed the painted Hailstorm, your point became very well taken. You can see the blue armor plating and everything is an almost featureless black.

-That- is how to critique something. That helps people improve!

I wish I could say more but my little mind takes time to digest things. But very good job JP!

All the best,
Gerry

P.S. OHGAWD I MUST HAVE RAPTORS!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 01:30:27 pm »

Okay... will try...

I AM a technophobe, remember. I can barely operate a calculator.

No wonder I got warning points... LET IT GO!!!!

I've just updated the post to include a link to what Golem CAN actually produce with adequate funds.

Hoping to reproduce the whole article here if I can figure out how to show pics etc.

Cheers though, UnnamebaleOne

Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 01:33:44 pm »

To Gerry

"Cthulu's naught bits..." made me snort wine out my nose!  Grin LMAO

Yes, I'm drinking wine through the day. I'm a writer, godsdammit!

LOL
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 01:40:38 pm »

I tried to post the whole article here, but the file is just too big. Sorry.
 Sad
Report Spam   Logged
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 01:52:30 pm »

Hi JP!

I hope everyone will use the link then, the more people that sample your website, the more people that will come to appreciate it I truly feel:)

Please everyone, go read JP's article!

Gerry

Report Spam   Logged
lord marcus
Ma

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:53:23 pm »

I tried to post the whole article here, but the file is just too big. Sorry.
 Sad

did you splurge on the good stuff or buy the regular, more logically priced stuff?
Report Spam   Logged

GAH! Tiny avatar of doooooooooooooom!
Creater of the mantic fanatics social group
JP1138
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 04:09:05 pm »

Just ordered the Fate Of Forgestar box set. Start small work up. that's how I always promoted GW stuff when I worked for them. No point buying shedloads of kit to get discouraged later on when you lose interest due to high numbers of unpainted models.

It;s how I started with KOW - Morgoths set then add to that over time. Now have 1600 pts Undead, 1600 pts Elves, only 500 pts Dwarfs and Orcs but they get expanded next.
Report Spam   Logged
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 06:14:32 pm »

Cheers JP for that enjoyable read. Your points were made fairly and really put into perspective Mantic's situation and the ways they are dealing with limited budget etc. Personally I love the marauders. The orc models inspired me to take the plunge into Mantic in the first place so I'm fine with them being reused. I think the painting was a bit on the poor side but if it means they got to spend an extra £xxx or whatever on other projects I am fine with that.
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 09:28:40 pm »

Great write up mate. I've got that Rogue Trader book in the games room Smiley It was this and WHFB 3rd Edition which were my two first forays into war gaming.
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 10:58:31 pm »

Thanks Matt. RT got me into it big style allthough it was two more years (1990) before Gary in GW Leeds said, I spend so much time there he might as well pay me LOL. Spent ten years with them but never got into scifi gaming.

Until now...  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: