Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 01:17:02 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mantic Fanatic Kings of War Scenario Book?

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Mantic Fanatic Kings of War Scenario Book?  (Read 1833 times)
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« on: September 18, 2011, 09:12:08 pm »

Just thinking, with the 3 current scenarios for KoW, and one being an amalgamation of the other two... things can get a bit 'samey'.

Wouldn't it be cool, and also a very good idea, if we, as a group could come up with a new set of 33 scenarios to add to them, meaning we could either pass them straight to Mantic, or have our own published booklet including a nice d66 chart for random scenario rolls, and possibly (thanks to Cyporiean for this) some campaign rules.

Anybody?

I have a couple of ideas, which need fleshed out and jotted down, plus some playtesting, and I'd be interested to see if anyone else has anything.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

theunnamableone
newb

Mantic Points: +2/-0

Current Army: KOW: Dwarves Warpath: Marauders and Forgefathers

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 10:27:59 pm »

always up for that. we have a last stand scenario that we used at claymore that could work.
Report Spam   Logged

"The only good elf is a dead elf"
Hofferber
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

Current Army: Dwarves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 11:08:05 pm »

Hi Gaarew

I've been thinking about that time too. In fact I've been mulling over a scenario called "Take the village".
I need to grow the idea, but pretty much I have. It just takes the right scenery and a clock.

When I have the whole idea write it here :-)
Report Spam   Logged

sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 12:14:15 am »

Great idea. Jotted down some ideas the other day oddly enough. Will try and flesh them out and post them up at some point.
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 06:32:53 am »

On a slight tangent, my only thoughts on scenarios has been that the Morgoth's Revenge box could really do with a series of linked narrative battles that also act as an introduction to the rules, in the same way that GW starters often do. At the moment you get the minis and you get the rules... and bugger all else.

It feels like more of a thrown-together bulk minis kit rather than the proper intro that it should be. I think that's where DKH has succeeded and KoW has failed. The former is interesting enough, the latter hasn't made any effort to be consumer/newbie-friendly, which mantic needs to be if it wants to stop relying on ex-GW crusties.

Something like:

- Game 1: Small game, melee troops only. (initial skirmish between undead and dwarfs as the grave-robber dwarfs smash up some burial mounds)

- Game 2: Small game, introduce missile troops and artillery. Winner gets a dwarf or undead dog to use in the final battle. (undead rise up in response and try to overrun a dwarf keep held by ironwatch and artillery)

- Game 3: Big game, using all troops, and introducing banners and musicians, unit upgrades, all remaining bells and whistles. (dwarf king sends out an army to face the horde bearing down on him).

Very simple intro, slight linking between the 2nd and 3rd battles, good narrative and introduction. It's not much, but would be a whole lot better than the nothing that currently exists. Print off an extra sheet of A4, bung it in the box, and hey presto, you have a strong narrative, great way of introducing the rules to new players and a nice chunk of background text.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 06:42:44 am by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 06:49:39 am »

This sounds like a great idea. I tend to play narrative scenarios, weaving some story around why the forces have met. For example this weekends game was The Defence of Kathil-Muir:

Special Rules:
1. Undead had to hold a graveyard for 6 turns while the Necromancer performed a rite to awaken a rather nasty individual who can then be used in later games (when he arrives from Mantics warehouse).
2. Attacked from all sides instead of usual deployment, Undead set up in middle of table in the graveyard.
3. No points for killing enemy units (for the Undead).
4. Dark Surge used to awaken the Faceless One. For every 4+ the creature stirs some more (Summoning Points). Once you've got 20 Summoning Points, the Undead win.

As for campaigns, again narrative ones are my favourite which can be grown over time. We use the original Mighty Empires tiles/rules over a map of a section of Mantica I've created but that is really so I can keep track of what and who is where for the writing  Smiley

I'd love to work on writing a fully fleshed out campaign, with background, characters, setups etc. Just need to add another few hours to the day  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 08:56:34 am »

Hey JP,
That sounds awesome! Like playing out a movie in miniatures!
Report Spam   Logged
Hofferber
M

Current Army: Dwarves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 10:35:05 am »

@Scarletsquig.
Itīs a great idea. Explain the mechanics of the game with small games itīs the best form to learn to play.

@JP
Another great idea. Itīs possible that with all our contributions, not only write a scenario book, a complete campaign based in concatenated scenarios.

I have to dust off my old Mighty Empires...
Report Spam   Logged

mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 11:15:10 am »

Some good ideas here. Myself and the guys will have a think and see what we can collectively fail to come up with.
Report Spam   Logged
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 11:20:01 am »

Hey ScarletSquig,
I really like your mini linked scenarios idea! What was horribly wrong with Grudge of Drong (was that it's name) and the other GW campaign sets was you either had the armies or you didn't... and if you didn't like the races enough to already be buying them, would one pack of scenarios make you buy TWO new armies...? Well that's what I thought anyway.

But you rightly point out that in this case the players will already have the models that the adventure pack itself comes with, totally avoiding that issue. I can't see anything but good coming from your idea for this!

Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
Estarriol
Ma

Mantic Points: +1/-1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 12:27:24 pm »

this was scarily enough something I was mulling over last night whilst reading up on some very old GW scenarios. I'll start putting some ideas down on paper in case this takes off Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 01:48:09 pm »

Over the course of this week (while writing several chapter of a new fantasy spec novel, and Warpath stories, and new KOW stories) I'll write up the campaign Lucy (my betrothed) and I fought last week. As I said, I lean towards a narrative campaign based on a Mantica of my own fashioning.

(Ronnie said it was too developed LOL)

I may post the map I created on my site if enough people express interest... Tongue

JP
Report Spam   Logged
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 02:18:10 pm »

Hi JP,
I hope you can rework your material to Ronnie Renton's liking, I trust he gave you some input on what he'd like to see you do with the story? Good luck JP, we're eager for more!

I'd love to see the map, absolutely! And anything else you'd like to show us!

Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
Baragash
Ma

Current Army: KoW Undead & Dwarves

Lord of the Pit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 03:12:22 pm »

Don't know if anyone is familiar with the Citadel Journal (2nd run, the one that ran for 50 issues), but they did a 5 scenario narrative of the Vampire Wars for Warhammer.

The scenarios IIRC are a nice little variation on Pitched Battles and given that they used Undead, (High) Elves, Dwarfs and Humans they could easily be adapted to KoW I would think.

Shhh...... plaigarism is such a dirty word Wink
Report Spam   Logged

JP1138
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 03:18:33 pm »

@ Baragesh What's the abbreviation mean? I'm useless at this internet malarky LOL I used to have all the Journals (as an old GW ex-employee) and the way they ran campaigns was a beaut.

I'm going to write a narrative campaign around which players can build their own armies at their own points costs with a few restrictions. Once done I'll post here. Might take a week but who needs sleep, right?

WENCH.... more wine!!!!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: