Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 09:52:56 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Barely a conversion by me

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Barely a conversion by me  (Read 434 times)
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« on: September 14, 2011, 10:09:03 pm »

Hey all! So I painted 40 skels (need to flock the bases) & 30 Zombies this week so far. So I had to do something to reward myself. I wanted to relax before reading JP's book so I thought I'd do a kit I was excited about.

What a nightmare. I have handfuls of boney bits left over...I can't figure out where they go... and the ones I know where to place, I can't seem to fit cleanly onto the model. Yikes.

So anyway, here is my unpainted 'conversion'

All I did was snip off the chair and glue a Wargames Factory chariot cart to the top. But after the struggle to even get this much of the poor thing into 'shape', I'm glad I'm not more ambitious!

Thanks for looking,
Gerry

P.S. I think I'll call him Jidobuyu ha ha!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 10:13:28 pm by Gerry Lee » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:14:07 pm »

Looking good Mr. Lee.

The only thing I'd add is some chain to hold the cab in place.  War is a risky enough prospect without the worry of falling off of your Dragon.   Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 10:32:54 pm »

Looks very good GL.

That'll be a beastie and a half to get painted. Looks like fun though.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 10:56:43 pm »

Looking good Mr. Lee.

The only thing I'd add is some chain to hold the cab in place.  War is a risky enough prospect without the worry of falling off of your Dragon.   Tongue

Thank you both:) You're right, some kind of hefty fasteners for the howdah and I wish I could put in some reins, but Antonia's hands are full...not ready to try such a delicate conversion. But the chains or maybe some putty harnass straps, I will try to figure out:)

***EDIT*** Ah! Claudia's bow string Tutorial...! some rough twine might look like heavy ropes!  Gods bless her, I think I can manage this:)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 11:01:37 pm by Gerry Lee » Report Spam   Logged
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 07:57:44 am »

Ack! Hit and run Sloppy Mopped! Ha ha ha! But really if I took my time, I couldn't do any better so...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:00:45 am by Gerry Lee » Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 08:28:43 am »

Good work GL. Some more chains as reins might work?

That base is huge! What are your plans for it?
Report Spam   Logged
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:54:07 am »

Hi Matt, I don't know how to do bases. I'm just going to flock and static grass it and hope it comes out okay.  Have to think about the reins, they really should be there, but I don't quite know how...

Thanks for your encouragement, it means a lot!
Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:12:43 am »

Holy shit, talk about speed painting...   Grin   Definately not bad for the time and effort you put into it.  Well done.

As for the base, really, for such a show piece 'miniature'  Tongue you need to do a little extra work.  If I could offer some suggestions, I'd say either look at the plastic graveyard sprues from Renedra, the bags of skulls from Secret Weapon, or breaking up a cork place mat and creating some broken up earth.  Or, even better all 3.  Failing that, just use a bunch of extras from the Mantic sprues to add a little oomph to the base.  Some skeletons and zombies being dragged from the ground by the necromantic presence of Antonia (and her steed).  Or maybe just piles of bones/corpses/abandoned weapons and shields, to represent the carnage wrought by such a fearsome beast.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 05:03:09 pm »

Hey guys,
Well, this is the best I could do. Looks kinda random, just a couple of things plopped down in any available space, ha ha! Except for the elf, I like that:) I had in mind the grass dying behind the footsteps of the dragon Jidobuyu, but it doesn't look right. I'd 'wash' the flock so it was darker, but the wetness just forms water blobs on top...

Still, very much happier with it than leaving it green! Thank you for encouraging me to try, I'm sure I'll get better with practice.

Be well, be blessed!
Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
Bert
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 09:59:36 am »

Hi Gerry,

if you want earth to look dead you need to make it greyer, rather than brown.
Brown is still a healthy colour in nature.
Perhaps you could have some very small twigs poking up from the ground to represent dead trees and shrubs.

You don't need to do this, but i think that's how it could be pulled off if you want.

It's a nice conversion, well done.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: