Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 09:57:46 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Restic Problems?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Restic Problems?  (Read 382 times)
strewart
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« on: August 26, 2011, 06:09:22 am »

Having heard the praises sung of this material for months, I finally got a chance to handle it, and I have to admit that I am not overly impressed. Sad I am playing with the orc gore cavalry by the way, haven't got to the orcs yet just assembling the gores.

First impression was good. Only a couple of small mold lines, very little cleaning work to do. Thats nice. The material is very hard though, the couple of thicker injection points that needed cutting off were very tough and my hobby knife struggled. I definitely prefer a slightly softer material, and wasn't expecting it to be so hard.

It doesn't seem to like superglue very much... I hold to hold the pieces together very firmly for a longer period of time than I was expecting to, and even then a few came apart when I let them go. All are held now though.

Detail was not as fine and sharp as I was expecting, especially when looking at the pictures. I'm pretty sure on the gores there aren't any undercuts either, and with detail as is they could very easily be made exactly the same in normal plastic. In fact, they would probably be better in plastic.

I also found there were pretty large gaps that will need filling, most significantly around the neck where the head attaches to the body the fit is not too good, but on a couple there is a large gap along the back where the two halves go together, and a large gap on the underside (not as much of a problem). This was probably the most disappointing part for me, a fair bit of GS fixing will be required that I definitely did not expect.

Having said all that, it is far preferable to metal in almost every way. Metal is harder to glue and likes superglue less, metal is harder to cut and work with, its got more mold line, and also always requires GS. Maybe my expectations were just really high? Maybe the revenant knights just worked much better in restic than the gore riders? From playing with this material and these models, I struggle to believe that the same material could replicate the extremely fine detail of the metal revenant knights I have, but I haven't seen them in restic so I definitely cannot judge.

Any tips on working with this stuff? Am I being fair or overly harsh? I was really expecting more detail and less gap filling with them. But of course, I haven't opened the riders yet so they could be much better or have the same problems, I don't know yet.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 06:24:46 am »

Hey there strewart. First I've got to admit I haven't yet assembled ANY of my many restic units. However when I got my gores I did try some dry fitting, and like your experience, was a bit worried about the way the heads were designed as multiple pieces. They did appear to be awkwardly designed as they seemed to make a poor fit, leaving those gaps you mentioned.

I had hoped those would disappear when I properly assemble them. I am a bit disturbed by your experience though, especially about the superglue not holding. What brand were you using? I'm wondering how a superglue gel or epoxy might work.

I thought the detail was good on them though.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 09:03:33 am »

Hi Strewart, I only have the Revenant Knights so far. There were a few minor problems like the hoof pegs not lining up with the base holes, but for the most part everything fit together very well. I hope there isn't a problem with the Gore molds... Like you I had to wait a long time for the superglue to bond the material. At the time I though it was just because my bottle of glue was over 6 months old, am no longer sure now. But the bond, now that it's dried, seem perfectly fine.

I just used clippers on the 'flashing', seemed to work very well. Wishing you the best of luck with the Gores, they sure look beautiful according the ads I've seen!

Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
Baragash
Ma

Mantic Points: +7/-0

Current Army: KoW Undead & Dwarves

Lord of the Pit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 09:30:02 am »

Haven't assembled my wraiths/rev cav yet.

Question for you guys, are you rinsing the models before assembly? I'm wondering if the super glue issue is being caused by mould release.
Report Spam   Logged

Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 09:49:33 am »

Hi Baragash,
Admittedly I can't remember washing the Revenant Cav before gluing them. I was thinking that I'd read somewhere that spray primer cuts through the mold gunk, so I think I didn't bother. But that not washing the pieces properly might affect the gluing process too, I'd never even considered.

Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 02:03:27 pm »

Hey there strewart. First I've got to admit I haven't yet assembled ANY of my many restic units. However when I got my gores I did try some dry fitting, and like your experience, was a bit worried about the way the heads were designed as multiple pieces. They did appear to be awkwardly designed as they seemed to make a poor fit, leaving those gaps you mentioned.

I had hoped those would disappear when I properly assemble them. I am a bit disturbed by your experience though, especially about the superglue not holding. What brand were you using? I'm wondering how a superglue gel or epoxy might work.

Yeah sadly the big gaps have stayed... I think there is a certainly mouth and head that goes best with a certain body and the gaps are minimalised, but then you end up with only two different models. And they still have gaps anyway. I'm hoping to fill most with glue or paint rather than having to actually do sculpting, but it will look weird. I am using good quality, brand new selley's superglue, so thats not the problem. One suggestion, make sure you put the mouths in the heads before putting them on the bodies or you will have lots of troubles getting them to stick.

Don't get me wrong about the detail, its not bad. The fur could be much better, I'm just saying I think the exact same level of detail and probably even better could be achieved in normal plastic. I know setup for that is expensive, but given the amount they expected to sell it would have been worth it. For something that was sculpted for metal or a material of equal detail, I just think they could have been better.

Hi Strewart, I only have the Revenant Knights so far. There were a few minor problems like the hoof pegs not lining up with the base holes, but for the most part everything fit together very well. I hope there isn't a problem with the Gore molds... Like you I had to wait a long time for the superglue to bond the material. At the time I though it was just because my bottle of glue was over 6 months old, am no longer sure now. But the bond, now that it's dried, seem perfectly fine.

I just used clippers on the 'flashing', seemed to work very well. Wishing you the best of luck with the Gores, they sure look beautiful according the ads I've seen!

Gerry

The hoof pegs do not line up with the metals on the revenant knights either so thats not a unique problem. I imagine metal might be easier to bend to the right place than restic though, I'm not sure how much 'memory' the material has. Yes once the bond has dried, it certainly seems strong enough, just a strangely long time to get it to bond which is unfortunate.
I agree, the photos of the gores look great. I will have to have a look at them more closely and compare to what I have to see how they compare.

Haven't assembled my wraiths/rev cav yet.

Question for you guys, are you rinsing the models before assembly? I'm wondering if the super glue issue is being caused by mould release.

No, I did no rinsing. I might try that with the next lot, but they didn't appear to have loose flash or feel greasy at all, and I didn't taste any release agent (nobody ask me why I licked one.... Undecided) so I figured they wouldn't need it. That could well account for some of the long drying time, though to be honest I doubt it.
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 05:01:47 pm »

I didn't taste any release agent (nobody ask me why I licked one.... Undecided)

Glad to see someone took Ronnie's advice about the sexy, sexy gores...
Report Spam   Logged
asgard-studio
M

Current Army: Undead

Official Mantic Pathfinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 01:50:35 pm »

For what it's worth, yes, there do seem to be only a couple of set poses, (a goes with a, b goes with b) but given that, I don't really see it's a problem. I put together both of my son's gore rider units, and once they are together and painted, you don't tend to notice the little flaws. I even thought the slightly bent weaponry on the riders themselves was totally in keeping with the Orcs!! Those present at the tournament will be able to judge for themselves!

The Wraiths were an absolute dream to put together- nuff said!!

In regard to the injection points, I didn't even bother trying to use a knife for much more than cleaning up, I just clipped those bad boys away with my snips.

I also must confess I didn't pre-wash the pieces before assembly, but I didn't have any of the problems mentioned above. That would lead me to question the brand of superglue used, possibly. I was using Shitadel, which certainly seemed to give me no hassle at all (apart from giving me some serious burns when I managed to spill some on an old 40k Staff T Shirt)

Looking forward to getting my hands on some restic Warpath models (please be the vehicles) and those Revvie Cav! Hopefully even the werewolves(?) will be restic- pweeeeeeeeease?
Report Spam   Logged
lord marcus
Ma

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 01:56:27 pm »

I'll be assembling my rev cav this week with loctite liquid super glue. I shall report my findings.
Report Spam   Logged

GAH! Tiny avatar of doooooooooooooom!
Creater of the mantic fanatics social group
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 02:55:51 pm »

I didn't have any trouble with my revenant cavalry in terms of gluing them. A tiny amount of green stuff here and there afterwards though.

The restic lances were bent but warm water softens these quickly and setting them straight was no issue. I sprayed them up white without washing them first and so far the paint has held (I've not done amy more than undercoat them at this point though).

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: