Mantic Fanatics
April 20, 2024, 12:06:55 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Building A Games Table

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Building A Games Table  (Read 235 times)
JP1138
« on: August 06, 2011, 05:36:13 pm »

August sees the start of a particularly ambitious project. At least, its ambitious for me, a man who has a natural allergic reaction to anything DIY (I once fixed my first cars headlights with superglue!). I aim to build a 6 X 4 games table, much like the one GW sell. I saw it for the first time at the Open Day and it looks really good, but I just can't afford nor justify spending £155 on it.

To that end I will make the table myself in 2 X 2 sections using chipboard, polystyrene insulation board and textured paint. Then in September I will make some basic generic terrain - trees, hills and such. October will focus on Kings Of War terrain with November concentrating on Warpath scenery.

I'm going to chronicle this potential disaster over on my site and I would be pleased if you could join me and possibly help unglue my fingers once in a while.

https://jonathanpeace.wordpress.com/hobby-articles/getting-stuck-in/wargames-table-project/ is the link for this madness.

Cheers
JP
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

orcsbain
M

Mantic Points: +6/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 07:24:27 pm »

Nice start, I lookforward to reading this over the coming months.

I am one of those who do have a games room etc but at the moment (read last 14 months) I have been in the process of packing it all up in the (eventual) hope that we can actually afford to have our extension built...giving us a bigger kitchen, a full ground floor bathroom and me a 2/3 bigger games room  Grin

However due to redundancy and having various different jobs since then I am waiting for a steady period in our finances and life  Smiley

So most of my armies are packed in the loft except the undead I am currently working on, my skaven and my dwarves, oh and some imperial guard.
My games table is covered in toot and the scenaery is likewise packed.

So in general the room us unuseable as a games room but it dose have two opposit corners of use...the PC unit and the Painting table.

I have built all this up over time and am looking forward to seeing it happen as a project I wish you the best of luck with your endevours and Hope it all goes well.

Incedentally the 3rd edition WFB book had a section on building your own table, might be worth looking at if you have one lying about. (mines in the attic before you ask  Roll Eyes )

ttfn
Report Spam   Logged

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 07:51:01 pm »

a man who has a natural allergic reaction to anything DIY

Hey, I used to prime minis with Tippex, and just look at me now.   Wink

Good luck with your endeavours, if you have any questions feel free to ask, as I've just assembled a little demo board using the same principles for some gaming company beginning with M or summat like that.   Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
orcsbain
M

Mantic Points: +6/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 08:26:16 pm »

Hey, I used to prime minis with Tippex, and just look at me now.

Thanks for that, I nearly snorted my coffiee over my keyboard when I laughed.

ttfn
Report Spam   Logged

"Mantic: like GW, minus the GW-ness".
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2011, 10:18:20 pm »

I used masking tape and tippex to repair a door frame we managed to splinter while smashing into our own room at uni.

Good times.
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:02:42 am »

Hey, I used to prime minis with Tippex, and just look at me now.

Thanks for that, I nearly snorted my coffiee over my keyboard when I laughed.

ttfn

On the subject of snorting... everyone knows that tippex is not for priming! Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 05:39:57 am »

Another example of my excellent DIY skills was using Skull White to paint out the small strip of corner wall where the two parts of wallpaper didn't quite reach. At least I'm inventive  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 06:22:02 am »

Another example of my excellent DIY skills was using Skull White to paint out the small strip of corner wall where the two parts of wallpaper didn't quite reach. At least I'm inventive  Roll Eyes

I couldn't be arsed re-glossing the shabby paintwork in my new games room, so I just burned through a couple of cans of black primer to ensure a nice matt finish...
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 03:47:31 am »

Don't let a natural lack of DIY skill scare you off.  I'm widely known as one of the least-handy men on the planet.  And I managed to finish my basement enough to turn naked concrete into a family room with lights and everything.  I built small walls, laid a sectional subfloor and the like.  I even ran a lot of wiring for computer outlets and my nerd station and the lights.  (I had a carpenter do most of the panelling, but I was right there as his gopher.  And I hired our paint crew to spray, not because I couldn't do it, but I didn't want to breathe paint vapor for 10 hours.  Carpeting hired out because carrying a huge roll of carpet downstairs yourself SUCKS.)  So I was directly involved in over half the labor.

It is possible for a nerd to develop his skills.  Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: