Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 03:59:48 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Greetings

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 152 times)
JP1138
« on: July 21, 2011, 05:42:21 pm »

A quick hello as I want to start checking out the forums and catching up on what I've been missing here.

First off, thanks for putting this site together, a dedicated temple for all things Mantic. I've tried some of the other sites (Warseer, BoW) and with the exception of the Mantic official site, none are as comprehensive as this seems to be. So again, thanks.

I currently have armies of 500pts+ for all the races with the exception of Abyssal Dwarfs. Having said that, the new journal has arrived today and reading through the initial background and list I suppose I will be lured towards the fires of the Abyss pretty soon.

To learn a bit more about me, please feel free to check my website out. Today's post was about how gaming actually helps with the writing (I'm a screenwriter). http://jonathanpeace.wordpress.com

Looking forward to swapping some Mantic love (sounds wrong but isn't  Cool ). Time to hit the boards.

JP
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 06:34:15 pm »

Welcome!  Good to have you on board!
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 09:30:57 pm »

"swapping Mantic love"

I think I know what sort of scripts you write. Wink

Welcome over to the Fanatics' forum.  Glad you searched us up!
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:33:27 pm »

Hello! Glad to see you here, have really liked the background you've written so far.

Is all of it yours, or is some written by other people?

Not sure who has written what, but I do like the stuff about the Abyss, and the description of orc society with a lot of their behaviour coming from the short and brutal nature of their lives, it's much more believable and interesting than "they are evil because they are evil" or "an evil wizard makes them evil" explanations that fantasy literature often defaults to. Some of the GW evil factions are handled well, like chaos being a manifestation of human emotions, but others like Dark Elves are pretty dull.. "these are elves, but filled with hate and spite and hate and spend their days killing and torturing because they are evil and full of hate", it's not as believable as them having a motivation to their cruelty... the dark eldar are explained better since pain and suffering directly grants them immortality, providing the motivation.

Glad to see you're a Game of Thrones fan too, I'm also currently reading the first book having watched the tv show. That sort of fantasy should give a lot of good inspiration, I love how the concepts of good and evil aren't really presented in the book, "honour" and "self-interest" are as close as it comes to that with a sea of grey inbetween.

You could certainly base a lot of the human fiction on the ideas from that, with all sorts of different human cultures each with their own different ways of doing things.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:42:38 pm »

Welcome aboard, facebookerite.

First off, thanks for putting this site together, a dedicated temple for all things Mantic. I've tried some of the other sites (Warseer, BoW) and with the exception of the Mantic official site, none are as comprehensive as this seems to be. So again, thanks.

You are most welcome.  Although, I'd like to point out, we have the ability to post images and not just links.   Wink

Looking forward to swapping some Man love (sounds wrong but isn't  Cool ).

Buy Robert some Guiness and you never know...   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:31:59 pm »

Buy Robert some Guiness and you never know...   Grin

Flowers would do  Kiss
Report Spam   Logged
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:07 am »

Hello again Jonathan! It's nice to see you on the boards and forums! I just hopped over to your blog and read about your work for Vantis and work on Mantics new range of models fiction, that's great! Congratulations! Looking forward to finishing reading your posts and blogs tonight,

Be well and be blessed,
Gerry Lee
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 04:47:36 am »

Welcome to the Fanatics. Many of us are active over quite a few Mantic related sites, but this one certainly is attracting a quality crowd. Good to have you here.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Ogait-Nas
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 10:18:50 am »

Welcome!
Report Spam   Logged
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 05:46:01 pm »

A quality crowd, but we aren't saying what sort of quality that might be! Smiley Welcome aboard.
Report Spam   Logged
JP1138
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2011, 06:35:05 am »

Thanks everyone, but if I can just point out to gaarew it was MANTIC love I was up for swapping, not man love as you (mis)quoted.  Wink Not that there's anything wrong with that, men need love too, its just my boat floats a different,  more traditional way.

@scarletsquig A short story called Goregutt was briefly on the site for a while (not sure why it disappeared  Huh), and some of the new Undead hub is my work. Hopefully there's more to come (just sent in a few more stories), and maybe something else in the future, but Ronnie would have me skinned and fed to Orcy if I said anymore Wink In regards Game Of Thrones, I've not seen the TV show (I don't watch TV - I'm a movie nerd as much as a Mantic Fanatic) but I'm loving the book. Asda have the next three (book 2, book 3 pt 1, book 3 pt2) for £10 so I'll be getting them Monday. It's very atmospheric and has a similar feeling to Dune with the noble houses all clashing. I'm loving it.

Cheers for the warm welcome everyone.
JP
Report Spam   Logged
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2011, 03:48:39 pm »

If you're a movie nerd, you'd love the TV show, the production values are really high (something like $60m spent on it), and there are only 10 episodes. It's kinda like watching all 3 lord of the rings films in terms of how it unfolds. Something to look out for on DVD maybe whenever it happens. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: