Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 11:06:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Mantic SciFi News and Rumour Roundup

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Mantic SciFi News and Rumour Roundup  (Read 4509 times)
Cyporiean
Ma

Mantic Points: +87/-0

Current Army: Evil

If you can read this, you should buy Brushfire!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 11:45:14 pm »

Someone needs to tell Ronnie to not steal unit names from Brushfire Wink

And also to not to steal unit names from the Sci-Fi game we're developing that he had no idea about.. No I've got more work to do Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

-Emily Fontana
On The Lamb Games
strewart
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 02:09:50 am »

And Ronnie has joined the Fanatics facebook group to answer some questions for us. Should be interesting.
Report Spam   Logged
Dobie
newb

Current Army: Undead (beeing painted)

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 07:27:30 am »

Ok, at beasts of war, the  warpath alpha rules are ready for download...
Report Spam   Logged
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 08:53:09 am »

I've skimmed the rules and the Army lists.  It is very similar to KoW in many respects.  Seems simple and easy to learn but will have a lot of tactical depth.  Rules for troops, armour and aircraft.
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 01:49:41 am »

I've updated the first post Scifi News and Rumour Roundup with some new images of Warpaths spacedwarf concept art.

Still Images taken from the BoW On the Table video.

Thanks to Warseer poster Sylass for the screen captures.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Robert
Mant

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 07:08:49 am »

They look awesome!
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 08:46:11 am »

I'm having a damp trousers moment.

And it has nothing to do with alcohol and/or age...
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Robert
Mant

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2011, 09:03:17 pm »

From the Army Lists...names of some of the other factions!

Corporation
Rebs
Marauders - Orcs
Asterians
Forgefathers - Space Dwarfs
The Eight Race

Guesses as to what
Report Spam   Logged
Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 10:49:13 pm »

As strewart had mentioned earlier, over on the Mantic Fanatics Facebook page, Ronnie has been answering a few questions posed by some of the Fanatics. He had this to say about the upcoming Warpath races:

- we have the outline for the first 8 races (yes, 8!). And along side some of the more core ones (humans and orcs) we are doing some that are obvious gaps - like the dwarfs - but there are a couple of total new takes on the genre and these really have us all excited -

« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:51:57 pm by Darsc Zacal » Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2011, 04:31:27 am »

I am pretty freakin excited about all this. Those concept Dwarfs look awesome and can only assume good things about the Orcs.
Now to read these Alpha rules... gotten with my BoW subscrition  Wink yeah... all legit like...
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
mattjgilbert
Mantic F

Mantic Points: +22/-0

Current Army: Working on Mantic undead at the moment

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2011, 07:54:47 am »

I see a Forgefathers army in my future. And it's mine!

Love the sketches. If the models start to look like that then Mantic have won (again).
Report Spam   Logged
Dobie
newb

Current Army: Undead (beeing painted)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 12:45:29 pm »

Damn it!
I guess I have to get the Backstage BoW next moth to get the rules... It sounds to good to be true...
Question is: Well, I have Orks. What to use for the Forgefathers? Just some tinkering with GW weapons and KoW dwarfs? Useing Fantasy-Minis? Marines?
Report Spam   Logged
Manticore
Man

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2011, 12:28:48 pm »

The new Marauder concept looks awesome!
I hope they can pull of the sculpt as if they can get them looking absolutely awesome they are going to make a lot of cash.

As for the Alpha rules... good and clean I like them. Needs a little tweaking for points costs but no biggie. Does anyone know what kind of feedback they are getting on the BoW forums?
Report Spam   Logged

Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2011, 09:25:02 pm »

There's a variety of feedback.  Some of it is positive, but there are a few bugaboos cropping up.  This is addressing the problem areas only, so don't take this as a big slam on the game.  For an alpha, I think it has a ton of potential, but it's going to need refining to match the high bar KoW has set.

Heavy vehicles can be made into an unstoppable force.  They're too powerful for what they offer, and you can quickly end up with "Godzilla Destroys Tokyo" as a battle report.  So there are some balance issues between vehicles and vehicle destruction.

People like the flying rules pretty well, but the air units seem to be overcosted, given that there's a good chance of having them only show up for a couple turns in the whole game.

There are a variety of arguments about LOS and Command Radius, etc.  (And I'm one of the people arguing about it.)  As it stands, the unit leaders seem to be under-important, and the LOS rules have the potential to bog down a game.  (If you shoot with a Platoon at another Platoon using terrain for cover, you'll need to draw 100 separate LOSes to determine whether or not you take a -1 penalty on shooting.    The other issue I have is that they allow all units 360° LOS, and you ignore models from your own unit.  So it means that there aren't a lot of tactical considerations to moving.  I'd like to see some sort of arc of fire come into things.  Plus, with the command radius, you can either end up with formations that would never be used in an actual engagement, or they end up looking like ranked up models.  This brings me to another issue.

This other issue I have (and one I'll probably lose on) is that everyone is very wedded to sci-fi models being on individual bases and moved that way, etc.  This is a hold-over from most sci-fi games really being skirmish games.  However, if you want a genuinely fast game, you need to be able to resolve LOS quickly and make your movements quickly.  This almost implies having some sort of unit trays, but you'd have to be more elaborate in breaking the unit into subunits, and so on.  I've proposed some suggestion on how to make this work, as well as to add some sort of firing arcs, but there's going to be an entrenched opinion about Sci-Fi = single bases that may be hard to overcome.  If it stays, it'll severely limit the speed at which you can resolve games of Warpath.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Manticore
Man

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2011, 02:53:26 am »

yep, pretty much agree on all points including movement trays. I'll be using trays regardless and use them in 40k aswell... some companies make cool 'skirmish trays' where models are scattered on a base all within an inch of each other... for Warpath if you want to change where bfgs are in a unit etc you can just shuffle models about as the rules let you. Im all for trays!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: