Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 04:31:47 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What do you think the theme of the human army will be?

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think the theme of the human army will be?  (Read 1335 times)
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2011, 12:19:37 am »

Yeah, I completely agree.. I'd love to have a Lannister army... I'd paint them all blonde. Cheesy

Bah a Lannister man.  Tongue I am firmly in the Stark camp  Cheesy

Check out battles of westeros from FFG.. they already do have a ton of game of thrones models released in 25mm scale, albeit more as board game pieces than anything else. Still, I'm tempted to pick some up.

Then there's the 28mm dark sword models to cover the characters from the books. GRR Martin is pretty cool, he's into miniature collecting and funds the sculpting and painting of the models for his personal collection, which then go on general sale.

Ooo cheers for that, they are pretty darn cool. May have to think of getting some. Have you played the game? It sound rather fun.
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2011, 04:22:44 am »

Let me assure you that the Battles of Westeros minis are NOT scaled for playing anywhere near 25 or 28mm.  It's a neat game, and the minis are great for what they are, but I'd guess them closer to 20mm.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2011, 06:37:17 pm »

Ah fair enough. I still think I will get some just cause they have some stark models Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
lord marcus
Ma

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2011, 04:33:47 am »

I'd love it to be a desert culture. No one's every really done an Arabian Nights sort of army... Djinn, magic carpets, would be awesome, and nicely different from everything else, and it would fit into an unused culture in WHFB.

I also would enjoy this immensly, if only to add to my undead army some conscripts.
Report Spam   Logged

GAH! Tiny avatar of doooooooooooooom!
Creater of the mantic fanatics social group
demyse
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2011, 09:21:27 am »

Mantic would be foolish to do a human army that is not some way comparable to an existing GW human army, which leaves us with Bret, empire, or...... chaos.
Its highly likely that the humans would be neutral, as we dont have any yet, so we dont want a human army thats too goody goody, which leads me to think some kind of barbarian army.

well heres hoping
Report Spam   Logged
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2011, 03:41:15 pm »

It would be foolish to *try* to do an army that matches something GW does.

With non-human races, there are certain expectations about what they are and how they'll be.  They pretty much have to cover the elves, dwarves, etc.  With humans though, there's no such requirement.  In fact, it would be detrimental.  Really the only "unique" one is Chaos, and frankly, it's one that GW should be allowed to keep.  Unlike the non-human races, if they sell a human army, it needs to fill a niche that isn't already covered well, and it needs to bring something unique to the table.  Otherwise, you're just squabbling with historicals companies over shares of the same pie, and they can do it more cheaply. 

When Mantic does humans, more than any other line so far, it needs to have a distinct aesthetic and needs to sell on it's own merits.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2011, 04:01:56 pm »

I agree with Llew. I wanted a Nippon/Samurai list based on Japanese myth very much, but then Legend of the Five Rings came out and now Wargames Factory looks to be developing some very nice samurai. Mantic needs to do humans they can copyright I think, even if people make similar minis after the success of the line.

I was surprised to find out  that Tolkien said that Rohan had no historical counterpart. Peter Jackson's vision of Rohan was superb too. Something unique but with bits of the familiar, would be awesome:)

It would be an awesome use of the Fanatic's brain power to work on some suggested human cultures with bits of art and background to donate to Mantic. I know you all can come up with awesome and original peoples!

Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
Hofferber
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

Current Army: Dwarves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2011, 06:14:05 pm »

I agree with both Llew as Gerry. But I'd rather wait to see the complete list of humans who will come in the new manual. I think from that list each army can do that is closest to our tastes. But I think, and is only an intuition, it will be a Renaissance or medieval army.
Report Spam   Logged

Gerry Lee
M

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2011, 02:39:31 pm »

Hi Hofferber,
Well, from what we are seeing in Tim King's exciting blog, the 'Kingdom of Men' (remember that phrase Alessio used for the Empire book he wrote?) does embrace Renaissance and Medieval troops. I hope very much it also contains older forms of humans like chariots, elephants, and horse archers, but if not there is always the hard back in 2012! Looks like you are right about the upper range of the tech and unit types:)

Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
Hofferber
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

Current Army: Dwarves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2011, 04:50:55 pm »

Hi Gerry

Alessio is Italian... and the Renaissance is the golden age of the Italian country, and it was not difficult to guess.
But I would like to see different versions of the human hosts, to me it would be interesting to see that over time as new lists come out of the wood elves, barbarians, etc ...

You can tell I'm enthusiastic about Classic AD&D :-)
Report Spam   Logged

Estarriol
Ma

Mantic Points: +1/-1

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 22, 2011, 09:59:17 am »

Having now read the human army list, there's scope to do pretty much whatever you like Smiley

Now, how to bribe Mantic into making Kislev medieval ruski sort of figures... Always fancied one of them armies.
Report Spam   Logged
lord marcus
Ma

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2011, 09:35:11 pm »

Oooh! Streetlet infantry would be ace
Report Spam   Logged

GAH! Tiny avatar of doooooooooooooom!
Creater of the mantic fanatics social group
Buffirn
M

Mantic Points: +10/-0

Current Army: Dwarf, Kingdoms of Man(Brettonians), and coming soon....UNDEAD

Indecision is the key to airpower.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2011, 10:15:20 pm »

What about an army based upon Leonardo da Vinci to include tanks?

That would sertainly be different.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2011, 01:08:48 am »

Leo is in the Goblin list.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: