Mantic Fanatics
March 29, 2024, 12:17:54 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

What do you think the theme of the human army will be?

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: What do you think the theme of the human army will be?  (Read 1326 times)
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2011, 02:33:58 am »

OMG!  I used to have that model as a kid!  What I wouldn't give to have that thing back again, just for amusement's sake.
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Ogait-Nas
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 11:23:02 am »

I think they'll go for a feudal knights. If I were Mantic, I would try to attract Imperial and Bretonian collectors. Besides, there are lots and lots of chances to develop both fire powered war machines and 'old' war machines like trebuchets and so on. So, they may base the new human army in a blend of those two WHFB armies with a touch of the nice Mantic's unique flavour.
The fluff can also be very attractive if they use the heroic adventures of humans during the crusades, etc.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »

Well it was mentioned at the Open Day that the original human release might incorporate an existing plastic kit from a current historical range, possibly in a Norman style. 

So, I'm guessing either Conquest Games Norman Knights, whom I beleive are also planning on realising light cavalry and infantry boxes, failing that, it could be something from the Perry's WotR line, as Ronnie is a huge fan of the models and prices, or Warlord, as they are very close.

Even further afield would be Gripping Beast or Wargames Factory.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 07:08:27 pm »

Would be very interesting if it was the Perrys...those WotR look amazing... not sure what there employers would say about it though Undecided
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 07:31:40 pm »

not sure what there employers would say about it though Undecided

I assume you mean GW, and not each other?   Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2011, 11:32:39 am »

not sure what there employers would say about it though Undecided

I assume you mean GW, and not each other?   Tongue

Cheesy

Report Spam   Logged
Grimmeth
newb

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2011, 03:37:30 pm »

Samurai would be awesome - no-one makes any plastic feudal Japanese models that I know of.
I don't think the Germanic theme needs to be done any more, there's a  lot out there already that does this - I, like Robert, would like to see something more Game of Thrones inspired personally.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2011, 08:34:14 pm »

Zvesda make plastic Samurai.

Of course, they are 20mm scale, and bendy plastic...   Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:37 pm »

Zvesda make plastic Samurai.

Of course, they are 20mm scale, and bendy plastic...   Grin

I painted a bunch of Zvezda stuff for 'Warhammer Ancient Battles'. They seemed like a cheap way to play miniature games. For all their faults (soft plastic, hard to glue, paint chipping) they weren't as bad as I heard they were.

But thank all the Gods that Mantic came along and made 28mm high quality fantasy models!

On the subject of Mantic Humans, I am wondering if Ronnie Renton is going to take into account the gear on the Undead Skeletons. If he is, then we will see early medieval or dark ages chain mail troops, which could be very cool! A Crusades style army as the 'Good' humans could be very nice!

On the other hand, who knows how long those skellies were buried? The armor might be centuries old...
Report Spam   Logged
Grimmeth
newb

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:43 am »

Feudal, Medieval Humans would be nice - leave Dwarves with their new fangled technology and stick with peasants and knights.
Or give the knights guns...
Report Spam   Logged
The Dwarf
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2011, 02:33:47 am »

Knights, peasants, wizards: arthur and the round table, Brettonia.

OR

Something really new that will sell like water: oriental themed army, with models that could be used as "count as" imperial armies...
Report Spam   Logged

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

No sir, i will not quit 40k, GW had done some nasty things, but the game is still fun. Perhaps, i will quit GW, there is a lot of companies out ther
sasheep
M

Mantic Points: +5/-0

Current Army: Orcs and Dwarfs.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2011, 11:53:05 pm »

I think the game of thrones idea is great, would love to have the Stark's army of the north. Make some rangers, some knights, wildlings and all of that jazz. Hmm could do a Dothraki army instead. Horselords would be such a cool army. 

Oriental themes could be cool too; ninjas, samurai, peasant farmers.
Report Spam   Logged

Wavering's for wide-eyed girls with ribbons in their hair and elves.
scarletsquig
Mantic

Mantic Points: +713/-0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2011, 12:05:55 am »

I think the game of thrones idea is great, would love to have the Stark's army of the north. Make some rangers, some knights, wildlings and all of that jazz. Hmm could do a Dothraki army instead. Horselords would be such a cool army. 

Oriental themes could be cool too; ninjas, samurai, peasant farmers.
Yeah, I completely agree.. I'd love to have a Lannister army... I'd paint them all blonde. Cheesy

Check out battles of westeros from FFG.. they already do have a ton of game of thrones models released in 25mm scale, albeit more as board game pieces than anything else. Still, I'm tempted to pick some up.

Then there's the 28mm dark sword models to cover the characters from the books. GRR Martin is pretty cool, he's into miniature collecting and funds the sculpting and painting of the models for his personal collection, which then go on general sale.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:10:07 am by scarletsquig » Report Spam   Logged
Hofferber
M

Mantic Points: +7/-0

Current Army: Dwarves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2011, 12:59:44 am »

In the case of humans, the possibility to create multiple armies is very large. Particularly, I love the thirteenth century, gives many possibilities.
On the other hand, we are talking about a fantasy world, so the aesthetics of Game of Thrones is perfect, as are Rohan or barbarians like the Vikings or Huns.
I think you should follow the example of AD&D Forgotten Realms (for example) there are territories with different cultures and human technological or magical advancement, and that greatly affects the time to make an army.
Report Spam   Logged

The Dwarf
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 07:35:48 pm »

Hey Hofferber, thats because D&D alawys assume humanity is a "clay to be molded", they are always very generic and their cultures can go anyway...

That dont work very well in wargames (but can work) because a companie must make a range of miniatures for each different culture, and normally, add some special rules  for them too...

But would be great if we get a "generic human army" (game of thrones) and mantic started to add extra armies as add-ons kits: like chaos dwarfs and twilight kin, but with different human cultures Wink

Or even a bunch of different add-ons kits for cultures, and small rule changes for the human army... (like added units)
Report Spam   Logged

GENERATION 8: The first time you see this, copy and paste it into your sig and add 1 to the number after generation. Consider it a social experiment.

No sir, i will not quit 40k, GW had done some nasty things, but the game is still fun. Perhaps, i will quit GW, there is a lot of companies out ther
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: