Mantic Fanatics
March 28, 2024, 03:43:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

First concept art of Mantic's Sci Fi game

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: First concept art of Mantic's Sci Fi game  (Read 141 times)
Nationality
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

Current Army: Dwarfs/Undead

View Profile
« on: May 20, 2011, 02:51:08 am »

Check out this BoW video:

http://www.beastsofwar.com/turn-8/turn-8-19-may-2011/

Check about 3/4 through.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 04:20:08 am »

Ug... it's 2 hours long and clicked around to try to find it but alas not to be.
Does anyone know the actual time its there?
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 04:38:33 am »

I'm still watching, but the screen captures I've seen are intriguing so far...and more vehicle-heavy than I would have expected.

Start around 1:36:02 for info on the concept art.  Fairly long discussion.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:24:54 am by Llew » Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
strewart
M

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 05:34:18 am »

I have screenshots of them for you all who can't watch it or don't want to find it.

Interesting... I agree, more vehicle heavy than I thought. The little guy is a Space Dwarf, I thought it looked a bit like an orc to start.

Edit: Details in the video; they say they know nothing about these images and got them by mistake, they don't even know if they are being converted into models or not. Sounds like a tease though, looks like it could well be the first shots of Mantic sci-fi stuff, and perfect timing too!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 05:37:01 am by strewart » Report Spam   Logged
Manticore
Man

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:54:23 am »

Cheers Strewart.. I was at work so could not really kick back and watch a two hour vid.
That stuff looks Freaking awesome, a little bizarre but I like different. Perfect timing for sure and if this is not a teaser ill eat my hat... raw.

Oh man... I want it noooow....
Report Spam   Logged

Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
Llew
Administrator
Mantic

Mantic Points: +115/-1

Current Army: Dwarves, Undead, Elves. Orcs soon I'm sure.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:14:10 am »

Now I just need to find where I posted recently and said that I was pretty sure Mantic's first foray into Sci-Fi probably wouldn't have much emphasis on vehicles at first...

Man, was I wrong on that!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

No good deed goes unpunished.
Manticore
Man

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:22:51 am »

Heh, it's all good everyone can make mistakes...

It's only bad when you knowingly sell people fake rumours such as when I convinced my old gaming club that GW had bought the Harry Potter rights...

So do you guys reckon it's likely this scifi game will be skirmish ala infinity or more mass combat?
I know there is not enough to go on but guessing is good.
Report Spam   Logged

Darsc Zacal
Keeper of Rumours
Administrator
Mantic Fa

Mantic Points: +1010/-0

Current Army: Elf(mostly painted), Dwarf(being painted), Undead(not painted). Orcs on preorder.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:04:51 am »

I've mixed feelings on these concepts. The halftrack hummer and 2 dwarf vehicle are okay, but neither strike me as being very futuristic. The dwarf tricycle is meh. The bubble walker is interesting, I'd like to see more of that. As for that disabled dog wheelchair contraption thingy... I can't visualize from the drawing what it's purpose or scale is, but I don't like it.

The dwarfs pictured look like fantasy ironclads to me. I'm hoping that image was used just for placement of scale in the drawings for the vehicles, and not an indication of what the  SciFi dwarfs will actually look like.

I'm also wondering after having so many vehicles shown, and taking into account the cost and profitability of making these in 28mm, if Mantic isn't considering making their SciFi game in a smaller scale. I don't play any scifi based games, but how many vehicles could actually be used if these were scaled for 28mm? Wouldn't you need a fairly large playing surface to allow for manuverabilty of fast moving vehicles? It seems to me a smaller scale would allow for more models on the table, which would mean more models sold and help ensure Mantic makes it's money back on the molds for the sprues.

Since I also believe that these images were "leaked" by Ronnie to show recently disgruntled 40k'ers that there were other options than GW on their way for them, I'm probably wrong about the scale thing... But I just don't see people buying enough muliples of these vehicles to ensure the production of them proves profitable.

With the rumoured release being only 4 months away, I'm sure that there are already mockups of the final designs for the initial scifi releases if not actual greens.
Report Spam   Logged

Sometimes, stealing candy from babies is the only way to find good candy.
Robert
Mant

Mantic Points: +16/-1

Current Army: Dwarfs, Elves, Undead, Naughty Dwarfs...

In The Navy...

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 01:42:46 pm »

The 2 Space Dwarf vehicles look cool!  Not so fussed on the rest...
Report Spam   Logged
Nationality
newb

Current Army: Dwarfs/Undead

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 03:04:10 pm »

I guess this is Mantic's way of trying to revive squats... I can't say that "space dwarves" work for me but considering the khaos dwarves it might actually be a good move for them...

The 2 Space Dwarf vehicles look cool!  Not so fussed on the rest...

Yeah, I like the bikey feel of the things.

I'm also wondering after having so many vehicles shown, and taking into account the cost and profitability of making these in 28mm, if Mantic isn't considering making their SciFi game in a smaller scale. I don't play any scifi based games, but how many vehicles could actually be used if these were scaled for 28mm? Wouldn't you need a fairly large playing surface to allow for manuverabilty of fast moving vehicles? It seems to me a smaller scale would allow for more models on the table, which would mean more models sold and help ensure Mantic makes it's money back on the molds for the sprues.

My thoughts exactly. I always felt 40k was too large a scale for tank battles and such... the table is too small to really maneuver tanks properly and weapons like the Basilisk felt like bringing a mortar to a paintball game. Epic Armageddon got it right in my mind with all the fighters and artillery and giant mechs and hordes of infantry. This is part of the reason I strongly prefer fantasy 28mm when possible -- it feels like they are appropriately sized given the table and the nature of the strategy.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: