Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 12:13:01 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Zombies: a short review

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Zombies: a short review  (Read 483 times)
Lyracian
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2010, 09:27:40 pm »

Mantic's Zombies!
Each sprue has parts for three full zombies and two bits allowing you do make four possible zombies from each sprue.  There are 10 sprues in a box although I had an extra one as an appology for a shipping error they made.  Mantic had said the zombies would be compatible with their ghoul range so I decided to see about mixing a few ghoul parts into the horde and see if I could make forty zombies from a single box.

Sadly the size of the hip joints on the ghouls is not quite the same as the zombies so the parts do not mix very well together.  At least the meat cleaver and other spare weapons from the ghouls where useful in adding some extra variety to the zombies.  I found I loved the style of the 'legless' zombie pulling itself along the ground so much that there were still a couple of pairs of legs left when I had finished.  Since I still had some spinal columes I just made more!  So I finished with 42 zombies.

I would say that pushing a single 'thirty zombie' box all the way to 40 models is a bit of a stretch since you would end up with a lot of spinal-tap zombies.  I would expect most people to get 35 models from a box.  The extra models are great for raising the dead in WHFB but not much use for Mantic's own KoW rules (they have fixed unit sizes) unless you buy six boxes to get enough spares for a whole regiment.

These are the two ghoul torsos together with a group of spinal-tap zombies.  The ghouls have zomibe head and hands to help them fit in to the group.  Also pictures is my zombie champion rebuilding himself from bits after having lost a fight. 

EDIT: Is is just my computer?  The photos are not loading at all...
You will have to look at my blog to see them - http://lyracian.blogspot.com/2010/10/undead-project-raising-dead.html
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 09:30:12 pm by Lyracian » Report Spam   Logged

Ne cede melia, Lyracian.

My Blog http://lyracian.blogspot.com/ Battle Reports and Random Musings.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 02:21:13 am »

Hello Lyracian!
Great review, and I appreciated the link to your blogsite for inspirational pictures of the assembled zombies! I have a zombie horde on order, and your article has really whetted my appetite for them!

--- Gerry
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:45:23 am »

Good review Lyracian.

I saw the sprues a while ago, thanks to the Painter's Circle work, but I have yet to receive the 4 Zombie Hordes I have on pre-order.

I don't know if I'll mix them with the Ghoul bits.  Although, a few of the Zombie heads look more Ghoulish to me.

Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Lyracian
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:06:19 pm »

Good review Lyracian.  I don't know if I'll mix them with the Ghoul bits. 
Thanks.  I wanted to try out the mixed ghouls, having done so though I would not do it again.  They are just not quite close enough fit at the hips to look right.  I would use ghoul weapons on the Zombies again as that works aesthetically.   Not sure on Zombie heads for ghouls.  Most of them have some open skull work at the back...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:54:01 am by Lyracian » Report Spam   Logged

Ne cede melia, Lyracian.

My Blog http://lyracian.blogspot.com/ Battle Reports and Random Musings.
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 02:27:15 am »

Hooray! I got my Zombie Horde kit in today, and am happily hobbying them up while watching 'Day of the Dead'. Fun, fun, fun!
Report Spam   Logged
citycoollife
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2012, 07:33:09 am »

Hello Lyracian..
Thanks for the great review...simply love these super models. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

"You have to learn the rules of the game. And then you have to play better than anyone else."
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: