Mantic Fanatics
March 19, 2024, 06:13:34 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Undead Giant Rats?

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Undead Giant Rats?  (Read 326 times)
Lyracian
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« on: October 22, 2010, 11:17:24 pm »

Salutations Readers,

Having read the Beta & 2010 Edition rules I really like the idea of Giant Undead Rats and the extra healing it offers a unit.  However they do seem very expensive for what you get!  I am not sure they are really worth 50% of a regiments cost as opposed to spending points on a Necromancer and just healing or Revenants who take less damage.  At least with a Horde you only pay 40% and the higher nerve means you are more likely to benefit from the effect.

I have only played one game so far so not really had any chance to try them out in a real game.  What views do others have on skeletal rats?
Report Spam   Logged

Ne cede melia, Lyracian.

My Blog http://lyracian.blogspot.com/ Battle Reports and Random Musings.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 08:44:55 am »

Well, speaking from my experiences as a Dwarf player, I think they are a royal pain in the ass.  I haven't seen the new rules yet, so unsure of costs.

I think it affects Dwarfs more than Elves, as they don't have access to Heal, so any war of attrition is always going to hurt, every extra damage token is one step closer to breaking, and it can't be stopped.  With your Dogs, you will consistently be able to remove damage, without having to rely on healing, meaning your casters are free to Zap the enemy, or cast the new spell, that I can't remember the name of.  Or Heal units that don't have them.

There is always the severe morale knock your opponent will get when he realises that all the damage he has just done is going to be removed the next turn.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Lyracian
newb

Mantic Points: +1/-0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 12:58:55 pm »

At the open day Rats cost
20 points for a 45p troop
40 points for an 80p Regiment
60 points for 150 point Horde.

So 40-50% of the unit cost.  The thing is every undead unit heals one point each combat anyway (assuming of course they actually inflict damage).  So the rats are only adding 1-2 points of extra healing.  If you give the Horde Spears for Phalanx it starts to make a difference.

I think it works for Phalanx hordes, but I am just not convinced at the moment about Regiments & Troops.
The extra healing is nice but for the cost taking Revenants who inflict more and take less damage due to better attack/defence seems preferable.
Report Spam   Logged

Ne cede melia, Lyracian.

My Blog http://lyracian.blogspot.com/ Battle Reports and Random Musings.
Gerry Lee
M

Mantic Points: +77/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 02:48:01 pm »

Hi Lyracian and Gaarew!
I think you are both right. Gaarew pointed out all the advantages of the rat dog very well, and Lyracian rightly noted that the effect is more impressive on a Horde Phalanx and questioned whether it's less so on smaller, hand weapon armed units. After reading your posts I won't always take rat dogs, smaller 'filler' units of skeletons I take just to make up point differences probably won't have them for example. Thanks guys!

Report Spam   Logged
Getifa
newb

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 04:36:33 pm »

I have not played the game yet, But I plan on taking the rat dogs in my 2 Skeleton Hordes. Not for any gaming purpose, just because they are cool.
Report Spam   Logged
asgard-studio
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

Current Army: Undead

Official Mantic Pathfinder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 02:23:01 pm »

I so far only have a regiment of Skellies, but they have spears- and the UGR's are invaluable, especially as a unit that normally wouldn't survive the game is still around at relatively full strength. I honsetly don't think I would leave home without them, but then, I wouldn't have any other Skellies than Spearmen, so....

Getifa, just try playing a game.... then you'll see why UGR's are so awesome!! Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: