Mantic Fanatics
April 19, 2024, 07:20:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: First photo's of the Corporation sculpts are shown. See them in the Corporation subforum.

Home   Forum   Help Search Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register  

Dystopian Wars table size

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dystopian Wars table size  (Read 381 times)
Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2011, 01:54:52 pm »

So after being given a run down on Spartan Games's core mechanics here on the forums I have decided on a game, Dystopian Wars, and want to get stuck in quick. I wont be ordering the minis for a few more weeks and they will take a while longer to get to me from the UK. In the meantime I am going to start getting the playing surface ready.

What I would like to know is what type of table size is best for this game?
I like to display the games nicely when trying to get new people involved so If there were to be two starter fleets on the table with a few extras (carriers, an extra squadron or two) what would be a ood size o the table does not look too cramped or two sparse?

Also whats a good ratio of land to water covering the table?
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

strewart
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 03:20:17 am »

One factor you need to keep in mind, even with small games of naval/space, is that quite often the ships have very large turning circles. You must make sure there is enough room in either direction for them to turn around, or you will do the first pass with each other then all nick off the other side of the table, which is rather awkward. (Yes, I did it with my first game of Battlefleet Gothic!)

Dystopian Wars isn't too bad for that though, most ships can pull a 90 degree turn with only 3-5 inches extra forward. I'm personally sticking with a fairly standard 6x4 foot table, my pool table. Smiley 4x4 would also work for smaller games, but wouldn't scale up all that well.

As to islands.. Really up to you. Also depends on how many land units you want hanging around to start with. If you are sticking with sea and air, just scatter a few smaller islands around the place to break it up a bit. I think when I start getting a few people familiar with the game, it would be really cool to have ~1/3 of the table a beach/landmass and have the ships able to do shoreline bombing on land units, and them able to shoot out to sea.
Report Spam   Logged
Manticore
Man

Mantic Points: +1/-0

Current Army: Undead and soon to be Orks!

you may also know me as Gormath on other forums...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 09:45:45 am »

Sweet. I have ideas on the terrain features for the table and going for a 6x4 will allow the room to do it. I am doing what you too would like to do and will be having a board that has a fairly decent chunk of it taken up by a land mass. Will be building a total of three boards as it looks like we will be having quite a few people at Greenacre Gamers taking up the game. The boards will be made so they are seperate entities but can be pushed together to make a nice looking 12x6.

Gonne be awesome!
Report Spam   Logged

I'm such a **** for Mantic...
http://www.communitywalk.com/manticfanatics
Mantic Fanatics Member Locator Map... Join up to locate other Mantic Fanatics around the world!
strewart
M

Mantic Points: +0/-0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:05:42 pm »

Yeah that sounds great, I have seen some really amazing tables and terrain for Dystopian Wars around the net, lots of inspiration.
Report Spam   Logged
gaarew
Evil Overlord
Administrator
Mantic Fan

Mantic Points: +1019/-2

Current Army: All of them...

Big Evil Bastard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 07:24:21 am »

One of the coolest DW boards I've seen was made by the guys at DWARF (Dumfermline Wargamers and Roleplaying Fellowship IIRC) that incorporated a perspex shower door over a blue cloth to create a very realistic wave effect.
Report Spam   Logged

Studio gaarew; Gaming armies, by gamers, for gamers.

You take yourself very seriously for a grown man playing with toy soldiers...

BMAAWOM I - Orcs - 0/42 complete.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: